1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Colorado Christian- morning after pill

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Dec 22, 2011.

1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Here is the flip side of that coin, an equal danger:

Mat 23:23Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightiermattersof the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

There is little enough evidence in scripture to define the concept of "conception". We humans have defined the word and then decided we must be right. Then you threaten the wrath of God on any who dare disagree and that leads to exactly what Christ warned about in this verse.

Mercy and compassion don't seem to be among th1bill's vocabulary.

2. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

And if those whom I have earlier mentioned are in fact wrong, do you think they will not answer for it before Him? Better, I say again, to give the benefit of the doubt to the little ones.

...And I think it interesting that I should be held as a hypocrite for voicing my opinion.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I just came from the pharmacy in my supermarket and I saw that they carry no oxycodone medications. We had a shooting in a pharmacy in a nearby town back in the summer, I believe it was, and 5 people were killed so that this man would get some oxycodone. So my pharmacy has made the choice to not sell it. I believe that a pharmacy also has the right to choose to not sell a medication that goes against the beliefs of the pharmacist or the owner of the pharmacy.

4. menageriekeeper

Or is necessary for the safety of the community or just because the owners don't like the manufacturer! My personal belief is they can sell or not whatever they want. We don't need Nanny Fed making laws such as this. (see we agree on this!)

Where did you get this idea? I simply pointed out that forcing your definition on others as "scriptural" by threatening them with God's wrath had potential consequences of their own.

Now lets talk about "these little ones" and the warnings about harming one. (since you brought it up) Two questions:

Was Christ speaking at any time about the unborn or about a fertilized egg?
    or
    Was Christ giving warning about what would happen to child abusers (of children who survived the womb)?
    or
    Was Christ using a child as an object lesson to warn about discouraging those who harm, discourage or otherwise interfere with the spreading of the gospel?
    or
    Was Christ using a child as an object lesson to warn about discouraging those who were new to the faith?

The first couple are popular (out of context imo), but the second two both have points in their favor (and are more in line imo with the context of the passage)

5. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

The idea came from your seemingly strong implication.

The notion that I am able to "force" my opinions on anyone else is laughable. I do not hold such power or influence.

As to the use of the term little ones, it is of my own choosing. It is not a reference to anything in Scripture.

6. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Menageriekeeper- Do you disagree with this post? If so, with what specifically?

#66 Arbo, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2011
  7. menageriekeeper

Yes, I disagree with the concept of "giving the benefit of the doubt" in matters that God isn't specific on. "the benefit of the doubt" leads to calling sin such things that are personal preference. Such as T1bill's stance against birth control.

In like manner the Early Church was concerned about consuming meat from animals sacrificed to idols. We have to have some moderation and some wisdom before we define as sin something God hasn't said was sin.

As far as answering to God? Well, my sins are forgiven, covered under the blood of Christ's sacrifice. I may not get a ruby in my crown for my position on this subject (who knows? maybe I will!), and I'm sure God will let me know eventually where I'm wrong. But forgiven means forgiven. The only ones who will "answer to God" are those who have rejected Christ as Savior.

And this is a split I see a lot among Christains (Baptist or not). There is little confidence in the promise of salvation. Did Christ say His burdern was light or did he give us a list of law like rules that we must follow implicitly and explicitly or we haven't earned/will somehow not qualify/will just plain lose (take your pick) our salvation?

So while one who holds to a more, liberal, view of one issue or another might earn God's chastening, God's wrath has already been appeased.

8. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Somehow your statement and God's don't exactly line up. From what I can tell, God is giving a list of instructions:
    1. Be fruitful
    2. Multiply
    3. Replenish the Earth
    4. Subdue the Earth

Mankind has indeed been fruitful, and multiplied. We've obeyed the command. Then, we are to replenish the earth and subdue it. Seems like farmers obey this all the time. I would like to point out one very interesting thing that was said, but ignored earlier:

Jesus didn't have one single child. Did he sin by not obeying the command "Be fruitful and multiply"?

As to the OP (which was derailed by the second post), I support them in not selling what they believe to be sin. If they don't believe in it, they shouldn't have to sell it.

My opinion of the derailed portion of the thread: I personally am of the opinion that human life begins at fertilization. As such, me and my wife do not use any form of birth control that keeps the fertilized egg from implanting.

I also think that Gina had a good point:
    Could be simply semantics, but it does make one wonder.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sapper,
    This is a bit off OP, but this reminded me of what a Chaplain once told a young single solider who was, lets say he was trying to being very fruitful.

So the Chaplain told him, "the Bible says 'Go ye and multiply' not 'multiply and Go' " !

10. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man has been fruitful but just as you point out to another, you allow God to open and to close the womb, that is obeying God and all else is disobedient. God has not resended nor has He countermanded this point.

I see where you´re going and I´ll let be.

11. Sapper Woody

I am not going anywhere with it. It is rather simple. Either it is not a sin to "let your genetic material die", or Christ sinned. You can't have it both ways.

12. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay then, letś begin. First off, we must look at the historical implication. A male was not a considered marriageable until he was thirty and of was not married until 35 and sometimes 40. Now, about the genetic material, that is, indeed a slippery slope. I am having a problem with this question in the first place because it is a trick question, normally asked by an atheist but every person on the earth has their genetic material from Adam and Eve and even more recently, we all share the same genetic foundation from Noah and his wife. This being true, no genetic material is lost.

Yes, I know, I just set foot on the precipice but, Iḿ also trusting that your a serious Christian and not some pretender that tends to nit-pick. It is always important to remember that we are here to discuss and if it becomes a fight, I will leave what was a conversation. This is and always will be about what we believe and why we elieve it.

13. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arbo, certainly not by me.

14. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks, Th1bil. This was in reply to a post by another with whom I disagreed.

15. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

To be honest, that's my belief, as well.

I do think, if we're talking about a university pharmacy, that there would be a difference between a private institution and a state school. The private institution should have the right to choose the products they carry. The public, if it is legal and people want it, should not be able to object due to their own personal preferences.

16. Sapper Woody

I am not trying to nit-pick in any way. I am simply pointing out that you said that God gave us a command to replenish the earth. Christ did not have any children, and thus would have failed that command. Either you are wrong in assuming that it is a command to have children and replenish the earth, or Christ sinned. You cannot hold onto both sides.

Christ intentionally did not get married and have children. By your assertion, he disobeyed the command, and therefor sinned.

Again, Jesus did not replenish the earth. Did He sin? You can't have it both ways.

Again, I am not nit-picking at all. I am only pointing out the obvious. Either it is not a sin to not have kids at every opportunity, or Christ sinned. You are making assertions that are contradictory.

17. billwald

billwald New Member

Defective DNA should (be permitted to) die else the human race becomes weaker every generation. Until the last 50 years most people with defective DNA didn't live long enough to reproduce.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm afraid to ask but what does that mean in practical life?

* Abort any child that is less than perfect?
    * Definitely abort any child with chromosomal defects?
    * Kill or sterilize anyone who doesn't prove to be good enough?
    * Allow those who are born with any sort of defect to die instead of caring for them?