1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Coming to Jesus

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why are Calvinists unable to present consistent support for their doctrine, but they can present consistent smears of those presenting truth.

Coming to Jesus = God puts an individual into Christ.
    God puts an individual into Christ = Baptized into Christ
    Baptized into Christ = Sanctification by the Spirit
    Sanctification by the Spirit = Sanctifying work of the Spirit
    Sanctifying work of the Spirit = by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body
    Baptized into one body = transferred from the realm of darkness into the kingdom of His Son
    Transferred into the kingdom of His Son = called out of darkness into His marvelous light.

Everyone that arrives in Christ will never be cast out!!!
    To be redeemed is to be put into Christ
    To be redeemed is to be transferred from the realm of darkness into His marvelous light.

Whose action? God's action alone. The individual plays no part.
    Is the action based on willing or working for salvation? Nope, salvation depends on God alone.

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, this is inconsistent with your view of Matthew.

Why?

3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In sanctification of the Spirit (2 Thessalonians 2:13-14) precedes repentance and the faith, Hebrews 10:29 or one must believe salvation can be lost after being saved.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another false charge which is consistent with using the ploy of claimed inconsistency. Go figure

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You made this claim before and I have address it before.

We are chosen individually by means of being set apart in Christ on the basis of God crediting our faith as righteousness.

Thus the order is consistent with "through faith" indicating our faith existed before being chosen.

And I have also addressed Hebrews 10:29 before. Sanctified means being set apart for a purpose, thus being placed under the New Covenant is to be sanctified yet not for the purpose of salvation. Rather being set under the New Covenant provides the opportunity for salvation to all who believe. And if you reject that opportunity, you trample under foot the very blood of Christ.

And neither of these verses support the fiction that anyone placed in Christ could ever lose their eternal salvation. OSAS

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for restating your understanding.

As I had stated, I hold the view that the in sanctification of the Spirit precedes repentance and the faith. That view is nonArminian and nonCalvijnist.

7. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All I ask was you to show that the obvious lack of consistency was false.

You have offered nothing of proof.

It would seem that you would greatly desire to show how your boasting, that mere humans could prevent salvation from others by using Matthew, was actually not in conflict with your post on this thread.

Show proof of consistency.

8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This has already began...
    11 And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots:

2 And the spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord;

3 And shall make him of quick understanding in the fear of the Lord: and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither reprove after the hearing of his ears:

4 But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth: and he shall smite the earth: with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked.

5 And righteousness shall be the girdle of his loins, and faithfulness the girdle of his reins.

6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.

7 And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.

8 And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den.

9 They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea.

10 And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign of the people; to it shall the Gentiles seek: and his rest shall be glorious.

11 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the Lord shall set his hand again the second time to recover the remnant of his people, which shall be left, from Assyria, and from Egypt, and from Pathros, and from Cush, and from Elam, and from Shinar, and from Hamath, and from the islands of the sea.

12 And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth.

13 The envy also of Ephraim shall depart, and the adversaries of Judah shall be cut off: Ephraim shall not envy Judah, and Judah shall not vex Ephraim.

14 But they shall fly upon the shoulders of the Philistines toward the west; they shall spoil them of the east together: they shall lay their hand upon Edom and Moab; and the children of Ammon shall obey them.

15 And the Lord shall utterly destroy the tongue of the Egyptian sea; and with his mighty wind shall he shake his hand over the river, and shall smite it in the seven streams, and make men go over dryshod.

16 And there shall be an highway for the remnant of his people, which shall be left, from Assyria; like as it was to Israel in the day that he came up out of the land of Egypt.

9. ezra2020

ezra2020 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    what 3 knocks are you referring to ?

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sinners Welcome to Come to Jesus Christ | Monergism

Christ will not cast you off because you have long continued to sin against God, though it be even to gray hairs and the decrepitude of old age. It is indeed a wicked thing to continue one day in rebellion against the King of heaven; and no one can calculate the debt of guilt incurred by spending a long life in continued acts of transgression. But however long you may have continued in rebellion, and how ever black and long the catalog of your sins, yet if you will now turn to God by a sincere repentance, and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, you shall not be cast out. He that cannot lie hath declared, "Him that cometh unto me I will in no wise cast out." I heard a preacher declare from the pulpit that there was no example in the Bible of anyone being converted in old age; but he was undoubtedly under a mistake. Was not Manasseh, one of the wickedest men who ever lived, brought to repentance in old age? The ages of those converted on the day Pentecost and at other times are not given. It is enough for us to know that the aged no more than the young are excluded from the free invitations of the blessed Savior. He invites all the laboring and heavy-laden, and of course those who are burdened with the infirmities of declining years as well as of unnumbered sins.

Aged sinner, you are not excluded from mercy by any word of God in the whole book of divine revelation. God has set before you an open door which no man has a right or power to shut. If you should be shut out, it will be by your own unbelief, and not for want of a warrant to come. Enter, then, without delay or hesitation. None can less afford to delay than the aged sinner. Now is the time. Now or never. You have, as it were, one foot already in the grave. Your opportunities will soon be over. Strive, then, I entreat you, to enter in at the strait gate.

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And I would first mention, that all who come are drawn by the Father. "No man," says Christ, "can come unto me except the Father which sent me draw him." Those who do truly come are such as were given to him by the Father. "All that the Father giveth me shall come to me." Now this drawing of the Father is the fruit of his everlasting love. "We love him, because he first loved us." And surely Christ will not cast out those whom the Father has loved and given to him, and effectually drawn by his grace.

But you may be ready to reply, "How shall I know that I am of the number given by the Father to the Son?" I answer, that you need no other or better evidence of it than your being willing to come. Surely you know that you did not make yourself willing. If you have come to Christ, or are willing to come, I am sure that you will ascribe it entirely to the grace of God. Others, as good by nature and practice as you, remain in love with the world and under the power of sin. Why is it? You must say with Paul, "By the grace of God I am what I am." The choice did not commence with you, but with him. "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you." And as Christ concurs with the Father in this drawing, for he says, "And I, if I be lifted up, will draw all men unto me," he surely will not cast out the poor penitent whom he has drawn to his feet. No, no; never. "Him that cometh he will in no wise cast out."

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Invitation to Come to Jesus

And I would first mention, that all who come are drawn by the Father. "No man," says Christ, "can come unto me except the Father which sent me draw him." Those who do truly come are such as were given to him by the Father. "All that the Father giveth me shall come to me." Now this drawing of the Father is the fruit of his everlasting love. "We love him, because he first loved us." And surely Christ will not cast out those whom the Father has loved and given to him, and effectually drawn by his grace.

But you may be ready to reply, "How shall I know that I am of the number given by the Father to the Son?" I answer, that you need no other or better evidence of it than your being willing to come. Surely you know that you did not make yourself willing. If you have come to Christ, or are willing to come, I am sure that you will ascribe it entirely to the grace of God. Others, as good by nature and practice as you, remain in love with the world and under the power of sin. Why is it? You must say with Paul, "By the grace of God I am what I am." The choice did not commence with you, but with him. "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you." And as Christ concurs with the Father in this drawing, for he says, "And I, if I be lifted up, will draw all men unto me," he surely will not cast out the poor penitent whom he has drawn to his feet. No, no; never. "Him that cometh he will in no wise cast out."
    Again, Christ redeemed, by the shedding of his precious blood, every soul that comes to him, and the impelling motive which induced him to die for sinners was love, unspeakable love: "who loved us, and gave himself for us." Can any one then think or suspect that when Christ sees the travail of his soul coming to him, he will cast them out? It would be like blasphemy to say that he would. No; he delights to see the fruit of his painful suffering even unto death. It was predicted, in connection with the impressive description of his sufferings and death, that he should "see the travail of his soul, and be satisfied."

Again, the Holy Spirit is the agent in convincing men of sin and bringing them to Christ; and this Holy Spirit is sent by the Son as well as the Father to accomplish this work; and when it is effected, when the soul is made willing to bow his neck to the easy yoke of Christ, will he cast him out? Impossible.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I showed proof your charge of inconsistency is a consistent Calvinist false charge to change the subject away from truth.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the first "knock" is the invitation to eternal life of the gospel, and the second knock is the attraction of God's lovingkindness toward us - He demonstrated His love for us as He died for us when we were sinners, what is the third knock? God's persistence even when we are slow to answer?

Since the three knocks were identified, your question must have had another purpose. Ridicule? Denial?

15. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you showed such a post, document it.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One off topic post after another, in a pathetic attempt to hide God's truth.

God puts an individual into Christ = Baptized into Christ
    Baptized into Christ = Sanctification by the Spirit
    Sanctification by the Spirit = Sanctifying work of the Spirit
    Sanctifying work of the Spirit = by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body
    Baptized into one body = transferred from the realm of darkness into the kingdom of His Son
    Transferred into the kingdom of His Son = called out of darkness into His marvelous light.

Everyone that arrives in Christ will never be cast out!!!
    To be redeemed is to be put into Christ
    To be redeemed is to be transferred from the realm of darkness into His marvelous light.

Whose action? God's action alone. The individual plays no part.
    Is the action based on willing or working for salvation? Nope, salvation depends on God alone.

Coming to faith = putting our trust and devotion in Christ in response to the call and draw of the gospel.

False teachers conflate these two very different actions.

17. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Figured you would reach back to this post.

But did not this post actually validate the question?

How does this s post not conflict with your stated view that humans can prevent other humans from salvation?

Saying it is “God’s action, alone” and then raising that humans can prevent others is not in conflict?

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anyone believe the Calvinist is not being willfully obtuse?

19. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, a non-answer of avoidance.

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anyone believe the Calvinist is not being willfully obtuse as he denies post #56 demonstrated obvious consistency.