1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

COMMON-ground?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Jul 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Winman....Im simply giving you insight into what a "Supralapsarianist" thinks & trust me there are allot of them... hopefully in the Presbyterian side of things & not Baptist. Note however that this fellow is not Hyper Calvinist Those characters go much farther than I think anyone on this board can even imagine. So beware, next time someone starts shamefully calling a brother a Hyper Calvinist.

2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

think hyper cal would again be someone who thinks that God will be saving His elect period, so no need to evn preach/proclaim Christ...

Since that violates the Great Commission , thast would mean that version of Calvinism is VERY suspect!

3. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Hyper-Calvinism is not a "version" of Calvinism. That it bears the same name means little. It is an heretical view of God's sovereignty that goes far beyond where the Scriptures allow. It is akin (and opposite) to Pelagianism, which is an heretical view of man's sovereignty.

4. JesusFan

What is Semi pelagianism , and is it prompted here on BB at all?

5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

What is Semi-Pelagianism? It s a technical term used in the discipline of historical theology for the teaching of the “Massilians” John Cassian, Faustus of Riez and Vincent of Lyons (and others such as possibly Prosper of Aquitaine) that the initiative in salvation is on the human side even though full salvation can only be by God’s grace.

Cassian termed the initiative in salvation “exercising a good will toward God” and argued that God awaits it before he offers grace.

Semi-Pelagianism, then, is denial of prevenient grace. Classical Arminianism is, of course, all about prevenient grace. My friend Stan Grenz described it using four words: conviction, calling, enabling and enlightening. (There is no order to these; they are simultaneous in the work of prevenient grace.) These are all the work of the Holy Spirit through the Word of God and without them no one seeks God.

http://www.patheos.com/community/rogereolson/2011/02/20/american-christianity-and-semi-pelagianism/

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    dont you have google professor....you tell up.....in fact, why not try to compare & contrast.:tongue3:

7. quantumfaith

Is JF, also a fellow teacher?

8. JesusFan

Been an Elder/Sunday school teacher/Youth Ministry/Treasurer

Never formal "teacher!"

9. quantumfaith

Ewf, has referred to you as "professor" on a few occasions, just thought perhaps you were a fellow teacher. :)

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I once sat in a room with 4 of them while they tried to hoist their BS on me..... I wasnt a member of their elite group so I was not a part of their covenant, nor was my wife. Never mind that we belonged to a Presbyterian Church it wasnt theirs. So we both were told that our child was not part of the covenant....unfortunately that child is now in hell but you can save future children being born as reprobates by becoming members of the Church of the Covenant. Oh yea, I want to embrace that. Now the collateral damage was that my wife was raised Dutch Reformed so she believed their crud & took it to heart. Brethren it almost killed her. But it also taught me something....I wasnt going to any church or pastor for my salvation. Trouble is I wasnt going to anybody or anything for anything spiritual. Fact is I hated God & I didnt believe in Him anymore. Life for me was totally secular & I enjoyed it .....freedom from God. Yea, I know the differences between Historic Calvinism & Hyper Calvinism & its this.....anybody not them is nobody (worse than nobody). :mad:

11. JesusFan

So IF someone teaches that we can respond by faith in jesus and ONLY thing needed to produce that response if the Gospel getting preached/taught...
    is that semi pel theology?

Just trying to see where that would be in relation to a salvation model!

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An Elder & an "Amaryllis" ....I'm impressed:smilewinkgrin:

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

Why would Jesus die for all men, and then the Father only enable a few?

That would be God nullifying his own purpose.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So does this mean Dave that your coming out as a Semi-Pelagian?

15. quantumfaith

If I knew for certain that I was semi-pelagian, I would be the first to announce without hesitation. I do not think I am, as I understand SP, a work of God is only required after man makes the initial step toward him. I, at the moment, am convinced that God makes the step through so called prevenient grace. What I am a little "wiggly" about is when. As I said before, I am not convinced that this prevenient grace is not present from the Adam.

16. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

So you made the first move? Interesting. Initial? No?

This is contrary to Peters description of salvific process in 1 Peter 1:1-2.

:love2:

Are you about to make an "announcement?"

17. quantumfaith

No announcement, and I know if I suggest you re read the post, it will only annoy you.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got it....do you have a salvation story (personal) that you could refer to? That helps me (Personally) tremendously.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Father enables!?! ...thought that was the job of the Holy Spirit? right? Father Selected before the beginning of time; Christ saved by His death on the cross & the shedding of his blood & the Holy Ghost, as I said in childhood, Quickens you & gives you a conscience. Am I correct in this?

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

How can a man possibly take the first step toward God? What does that even mean?

You could not possibly come to Jesus unless you first heard of him.

It might be possible that a man can see from creation that there is a God, but he cannot know the true God without God's word. A man in the jungle might perceive there is a God from observing creation and pray that God reveal himself to him and then a missionary comes and tells him the gospel.

But even this revelation through creation is from God.

Psa 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handiwork.
    2 Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
    3 There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.

I have read stories of people who lived in the jungles who sensed God through creation and prayed that God would reveal himself, and then a missionary came to his village, preached the gospel and he was saved.

But even here man did not make the first move, God first revealed himself to that man through creation as Psalm 19 says.

#100 Winman, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.