1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Confederate battle flag angers many at California high school!?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by righteousdude2, Sep 9, 2016.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    flags.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They can't change the future if they don't understand the past, and even worse, hide from it because it "offends" them.

3. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Do you show such bigotry buy not addressing ALL Americans with a hyphenated start or just excluding them?

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and if the CSA flag is to be banned - then lets ban all flags other than the US Flag.
    The homosexual flag offends me -
    The African flag offends me.
    The (fill in the blank)......

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Untrue.

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

The flag in South Carolina, like so many other Confederate Standards, was likely raised in opposition to Civil Rights and desegregation during the 6os.

I don't think the US flag with 50 stars was ever hoisted in support of the things listed..

7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    kkk flag.jpg kkk flag2.jpg

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What difference does it make? It was raised "in opposition to Civil Rights and desegregation."

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Curious. Looks kinda old. Why so defensive?

And what "was raised "in opposition to Civil Rights and desegregation."?

The flag of the United States? So what?

#30 carpro, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A.d what other flags and symbols have represented an army fighting against the United states? The Mexican flag, the designs on the flag of new Mexico, the war bonnets of the plains tribes, the clinched fist with " burn, baby, burn!" Are you against all enmity, or just white enmity?

12. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems I touched a raw nerve showing the logical conclusion of your logic.

13. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll bet you have very few friends because of an over exaggerated ego, fed by your own observations?

Show your facts, or apologize for reaching so deeply into your bag of non facts, that from your fingertips to your shoulder, you smell like the pig slop those lies were buried deep down in. It's time to back up.your claims, boy, or face peer pressure for lying in order to sound "liberal!"

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

T hats interesting but it's not the 50- starred flag hosted above a statehouse.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

15. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have friends who are smart enough not to make such illogical comments as you made and I responded to. They are also smart enough not to resort to sophomoric comments and will enter into a reasoned discussion when opinions differ.

How do you show facts for the illogical comment someone else made. If you do not like the logical conclusion of your illogical comment then think through what you say before making silly comments.

16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what? Did you bother to read the thread? Did you notice the claim "I don't think the US flag with 50 stars was ever hoisted in support of the things listed." (IE: in opposition to Civil Rights and desegregation)

The pictures are obviously from the 1960s. The 50th star was added in 1960.

17. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just white enmity, apparently. /sarcasm

Just because I think the Confederate flag should be consigned to its proper place as an historical relic doesn't mean I think it is the only divisive symbol.

I do think it has special significance, though, as it represents a secessionist movement (rebellion) by part of the nation against the rest of the nation.

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Secession is not rebellion. If a state can join the Union, it can leave the Union. The basis of our government is still "Government of the people, by the people, and for the people."

If the people of a state vote to leave the Union, it is tyranny (forcing a government on people which they don't want) and slavery (compelling taxation of their labor to support a government they don't want) to force them to stay.

It is time we owned our country's history. Slavery was a real issue from 1776 through 1865. Own it!

Slavery was already on the decline and would have died out on its own by the 1880s/1890s. The antebellum south was an unsustainable economic and social construct doomed to failure from its very inception. (Similar to the landed gentry of Great Britain.) Neither could survive the progressive ascendancy of a democratic government.

The cause of the civil war was economic, not sociological. It was about money. War is always about money. If you want to find the actual cause of the civil war follow the money.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Money, slavery and territory are all aspects of what drives war. The civil war was started after the southern states succeeded because Lincoln tried to maintain federal control over forts in southern states such as SC. Once he tried to resupply that fort the southern states responded by attack and the war was on. Had there been on resupply of the forts it is likely there would have been no war. It was all about control over southern states. Slavery was one of several issues that the states succeeded over but control over southern land is what caused the first gun fire.

So the idea that somehow this was rebellion from a few southerners "from the rest of the country" is just wrong.

20. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I wrote earlier, the Confederate battle flag does not represent California's history or culture except as the flag of the enemy. California was not a part of the Confederacy nor was it a border state. Through, the California Column it was an active combatant on the Union side. San Francisco's Union Square got its name from the Union rallies held in the space.

This is not true of other parts of the country.