1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Confederate Parade

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Pronto

Pronto New Member

If you want to celebrate being the loser, go right ahead.

2. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

So, as long as any one person or group claims a flag or symbol as "theirs", then it's theirs, right? No matter what it stood for before?

So now that the homosexuals have been using the rainbow as their symbol and their flag, the rainbow now means "queer"??? Not to me. It will always represent the covenant God made with man in Genesis chapter 9, no matter how many times a rainbow flag flies in some "gay pride" parade.

Same with the confederate flag. It'll always be the confederate battle flag, no matter how many ignorant pointy-headed racists wave it around.

I don't own a confederate flag. I really couldn't care less about it. I just know I sure am glad I don't get offended by the Mexican flag that I see on cars and homes every day where I live. If I did, I'd stay mad all the time.

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    "So, as long as any one person or group claims a flag or symbol as 'theirs', then it's theirs, right? No matter what it stood for before?"

Not necessarily. But to pretend that it carries neutral connontations is naieve at best and downright antagonistic at worst.

Just fly the swastika at your house and explain it's just an American Indian symbol. Hogwash.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you. I am glad you don't mind that I display a desktop Confederate battle flag in my study. [​IMG]

5. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Ken, I have on my desktop a picture of the actual flag that my g-g-g-grandfather fought under with the 34th Alabama Infantry.

I'd post the picture if I knew how to operate these blasted options buttons. [​IMG]

6. Bro. James Reed

Also, I forgot to mention, we have Confederate marchers in our Veterans' Day Parade every year down here; Confederate flags and all.

7. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

If this board had lets say 10 to 15% American
    Afro American posters and they in a majority
    said in reference to the bible that the Confederate Battle Flag offends them...what then
    would you do ..stand on arrogant pride or raise
    the true banner of United States.

8. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I want to clarify my position----yes, I have watched rebel flags being flown in parades and have not "left immediately"----now---here is the clarity

The very moment that the rebel flag is flown as part of our Nation's "Colors"----you know----FIRST in the parade's prosession---the military's ROTC's who carry the Stars & Stripes along with the seated state's flag-----if the rebel flag is carried in honor ALONG WITH the Stars & Stripes in prosession----I'll leave in shame and not look back----or even if its flown ALONG WITH the Stars & Stripes by a bunch of Boy Scouts way in back of the parade---what a dishonor to the honor of the United States of America!!!!!

Interesting---I've got men in my church who can recite Confederate history verbatum----and at the same time----struggle with reciting Bible verses as simple as John 3:16!!! Some probably would guess wrong in a matching test---who fought with David at Zitlag?? Goliath/King Saul

What a pity!!!

Bro. David

PS---NO! I would not attend a Confederate Parade!!

9. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pure bovine excrement! :rolleyes:

What it really represents is a thwarted attempt at INDEPENDENCE; not racism, not hatred, not a desire to conquor the north. Simply a longing to be left alone and NOT be dictated to from a big national government! [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE][​IMG] Asian, not southerner, but that's the way I read history, too. With you there. [​IMG]

10. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

Don't understand this obession to make sure no other flag is honored above the Stars and Stripes. It seems this borders on idolatry at times. I think our State Flags should be carried as an equal to to Old Glory for my home is Louisiana. I have no problem carrying a Confederate Flag as equal with the Stars and Stripes since the CSA was the government that Louisiana was part of for 4 years.

Ultimately however the US Constitution is the TRUE Symbol of the USA.

11. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Many black people fought proudly and died under that flag too you know.

I thought the poll was about attending a parade that had a confederate flag in it? I never got an answer either about what exactly 'red' meant as in everyone is a little red.

If people fly a confederate flag at their house then I think it should go under the US flag. I have seen it the other way around and I don't think that's right. We should be proud to be American, I know I am! But I'm just as proud to be a southerner. I'm proud as heck of my country even with all the faults and I'm proud of my roots.

It's really offensive to many southerners when people assume we are racists because a bunch of nuts use the same flag for their hateful agenda.

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Don't understand this obession to make sure no other flag is honored above the Stars and Stripes. I have no problem carrying a Confederate Flag as equal with the Stars and Stripes since the CSA was the government that Louisiana was part of for 4 years.

Ultimately however the US Constitution is the TRUE Symbol of the USA.
    </font>[/QUOTE]How would you feel if the Union Jack was wavin' alongside the Stars & Stripes??? Or the French flag??? How about Spain's flag???? Was we not once part of all three???

Independence means independence

The Confederate States of America SURRENDERED to the United States of America----have you ever looked up the word "surrender" in the dictionary??? What does it say???

When the CSA SURRENDERED to the USA---the CSA ceased to exist as a nation----to fly the Stars & Bars means you are flying the flag of a nation that no longer exists---a phantom nation!!

13. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would further add; the way some folks dipslay the flag of the CSA is tantamount to displaying the Steuart house standard instead of the current Windsor-Montbatten standard. Under English Common Law (but not American Constitutional), I dare say that would constitute treason at the worst. But more than likely would be treated as case of harmless crackedpottedness.

14. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

I have no problem with any of these flags waving alongside the Stars and Stripes since these are all equal nations of the USA. Of course I prefer the Stars & Stripes (Though that Union Jack's kinda cool [​IMG] ) since that is the symbol of the USA and is my National flag. To want to have other National Flags bow before the Stars & Stripes seems to imply that other nations are inferior to the USA and seems almost idolatrous.

You missed the point. Of course the USA is my country and Louisiana is my home. I love the Stars and Strpies BUT the Confederate States of America however was the country Louisiana and your state of Mississipi were apart of for 4 years. If I wish to honor that CSA heritage I can and will. [​IMG]

15. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

Well, Squire those standards are symbols of Royal families that ruled England. We have no royal families in the USA or Kings here though some think the Federal government is king. [​IMG]

The CSA flag is not a call to overthrow the USA but is remembering those who fought and died for the Confederacy. For many it also reminds us of States rights and a call to reform our US government to a strict original intent understanding of the US Constitution.

16. Bro. James Reed

Blackbird, have you ever been to the United Nations complex in NYC?

I've got news for you, all of the national flags there are on an equal level...even ours. :eek:

I have no problem with any organization or person flying the 6 flags of Texas (Spain, France, Mexico, Texas, CSA, and USA) at an equal height, although my preference is to have the Texas flag over all others. :D

17. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Squire those standards are symbols of Royal families that ruled England. We have no royal families in the USA or Kings here though some think the Federal government is king. [​IMG]

The CSA flag is not a call to overthrow the USA but is remembering those who fought and died for the Confederacy. For many it also reminds us of States rights and a call to reform our US government to a strict original intent understanding of the US Constitution.</font>[/QUOTE]I was using the two cases as a analogy. The analogy of course does break down. However, I would posit the cases are not as far apart as you would think. It is reported that more than one Scot in lifting his dram for the "Loyal Toast" brought it over his water glass.

And I again would remind you that many of us here had relatives who fought on the "other" side of the late unpleasentries. So, we do take umbrage at the flag flown by those that shot at our kinfolk. Especially when it is carried as if Generals Grant and Lee never met at Appomatox Courthouse. In other words, symbols do mean something.

18. Bro. James Reed

Squire, I had 1 g-g-grandfather who fought for the north and 2 g-g-g-grandfathers who fought for the south. I had 1 g-g-g-uncle who died while fighting for the north.

I am not offended in the least by someone flying the Confederate flag anymore than I am by someone flying the Union Jack when I also had ancestors who fought against them in the successful revolution.

If you want to apply your reasoning, that the flag might upset those one the northern side, then should you not also consider that flying the U.S. flag would offend those who had relatives fighting on the southern side?

If you want to know the truth, most folks who fought for either side did not do it willingly.

My family members in Arkansas were conscripted by both sides at different times and my 90 year old g-g-g-grandfather was threatened with hanging, and had the noose placed around his neck, for not revealing where his sons and sons-in-law were hiding from the soldiers. There is some very interesting history about these incidents which were recorded by my family back then.

A flag is a flag. If someone wants to fly a flag, of any kind, what right do we have to tell them "no"? Especially the flag of our former nation.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So? Some people and even churches display the so-called "Christian" flag and there has never been a Christian nation(although the United States was founded on Christian principles).

20. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

I think you should honor the bravery of your relatives who fought for the Union side. If the Sons of Union Veterans want to fly the Stars and Stripes that the Union carried into battle (1861-65) or if they want to fly the regimental flags of the Union Irish Brigade, 20th Maine, 54th Mass. in a parade, I say go for it! People need to be reminded of the bravery of those men. I promise you I want be offended at those Yankee Flags in a parade. You honor yours and I will respect that and I will honor mine.

Here is a favorite of mine [​IMG]
    [​IMG]