1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Confederate Parade

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Jul 7, 2005.

1. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

1. The confederate battle flag represents slavery
    to most people and it offends...especially our
    Afro-American brothers and sisters who have successfully removed it back to where it belongs
    Museums.

2. The confederate battle flag was successfully
    co opted by hate groups ..emphasis..this is the real indictment of those who herald it ..they were silent during all those years..now for them to say they have nothing to do with hate groups or they are against it being associated with hate groups..is disingenuous...the damage is done..and no damage control can make it better. Where was your voice back when it was really needed in the civil rights movement.

even Shelby Foote, while versed in the history of the battle flag, recognizes that it's become "a banner of shame and disgrace and hate," he says in Confederates in the Attic. He attributes that fate to misuse of the flag during the civil rights struggle. (Now! all of a sudden you cry
    heritage....that is bunk..face the consequences
    of losing and your silence!}

(someone mentioned who fought for whom)
    the ratio of free Afro-Americans fighting for the union out distances the slaves..who were still slaves in support of the C.S.A..

Interesting article how the flag offends.

http://readthehook.com/stories/2002/10/09/coverCrossToBearSouthernPr.html

Juanita Bowles has lived on Concord Avenue for 52 years, ever since hers was the first black family to move into that block. To her, the Confederate flag is a sign of discrimination. "I've looked at it over the years, and I don't like it," Bowles says.

What about it being also a symbol of Dickerson's heritage? She replies drily, "We noticed."

Bowles says that lots of her neighbors over the years have said they should do something about it, but no one has. "I just learned to live with it," she says.

Perceptions about how long the flag has flown vary widely. Back at Quality Welding, Dickerson says he can't recall exactly how long he's flown the flag, but he estimates around 10 years.

Says Bell, "That dumb flag's been there 34 years," the length of time he's lived in his house.

"It's annoying because I see it every time I come out my door," says Bell. "It's an eyesore when I sit on my porch."

From Bell's vantage point, the Confederate flag "goes way back to slavery, to what the South fought about."

He knows the flag is a material object that can't hurt him, but he sees a lack of sensitivity in its being flown in his face. "It looks to me like he wouldn't do it," says Bell.

snippet:
    Whether people mean it to be or not, it is divisive," says French at the Woodson Institute. "If you're trying to unite all Virginians, the Confederate flag doesn't do it."

Back to the parade:
    So if you are standing in the crowd with your
    family and with two other Afro-American families
    who you know to be saved by the blood of Jesus
    Christ and they see the flag and are offended
    are you offended as well.

For me it is simple and spiritual

It divides
    It offends
    It was successfully co opted by hate groups
    It deserves a place in a historical museum..period.

Some genesis roots..It was about slavery!

The Confederate President stated that "The labor of African slaves was and is indispensable, ... . With interests of such overwhelming magnitude imperiled, the people of the Southern States were driven by the conduct of the North to the adoption of some course of action to avert the danger with which they were openly menaced. "

In his "Cornerstone Speech" delivered March 21, 1861, Confederate Vice-President Alexander Stephens stated that "Our new Government is founded ... its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro (sic) is not equal to the white man; that slavery - subordination to the superior race - is his natural and moral condition.

This, our newer Government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. "(The speech was reported on in the March 22, 1861 edition of the Savannah Republican ).

Article I, Section 9, of the constitution of the confederacy explicitly forbade the Confederate Congress from passing any law "denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves. "

Finally an extract from the Declaration of Causes of secession from the the state of Georgia is hardly ambiguous about the central question of slavery to their cause.

According to the document "For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against our non-slave- holding confederate States with reference to the subject of African slavery. ...The party of Lincoln, ... is admitted to be an anti- slavery party. ... anti-slavery is its mission and its purpose. ... Northern anti-slavery men of all parties asserted the right to exclude slavery from the territory by Congressional legislation ... The prohibition of slavery in the Territories, ... the equality of the black and white races, ... were boldly proclaimed by its leaders and applauded by its followers. ... The prohibition of slavery in the Territories is the cardinal principle of this organization."

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bottom line is that as long as we have freedom in this country, we have the right to display any Confederate flag we want. As I have said elsewhere: As history has turned out I am glad that the Union was preserved, but as a Southerner I wish the Confederacy had achieved its independence.

[​IMG]

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And we know that at the start of the war that the Yankees were not fighting to end slavery in the South. That became a reason for the conflict about halfway through the war(and some people complain about Bush changing reasons for the Iraq War). The immediate problem was with the new territories. The North was not trying to rid the South of slavery in 1861. There was a deep economic policy and cultural chasm between the North and the South and it erupted into war.

4. Pronto

Pronto New Member

Nothing I could ever say would show any better the ridiculous nature of the "it's not hate but heritage" argument then your own words. What a bunch of bunk!

5. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

The Fact is that most people in the 19th century would be viewed as racists by today's standards. Northerners did not view blacks as egual with whites no more than most Southerners. Thousands of Yankees did not lay down their lives to free slaves no more than Confederates died to preserve it. The Union cause was all about preserving the Union while the Southern cause was about secession.

It should be noted that Old Glory was flown by Union troops in the Federal government's war against the Sioux, Cheyenne, Comanchee, Cherokee and Apache Indians etc...Countless massacres of Indian villages were done under the Stars and the Stripes. These Indian tribes had their land taken from them and themselves suffered a form of enslavement by the US Army as the Stars and Stripes waved overhead.

No government is perfect.

6. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

Nothing I could ever say would show any better the ridiculous nature of the "it's not hate but heritage" argument then your own words. What a bunch of bunk! </font>[/QUOTE]KenH you actually said this:
    "I am glad that the Union was preserved, but as a Southerner I wish the Confederacy had achieved its independence"

So KenH are you a house divided? bizarre! statement KenH..perhaps you would want to have
    a fall back clarification.

As it stand and has stood in the past hate groups
    successfully co opted the confederate flag and not
    a peep was heard from heritage groups in which the
    consequences are the confederate battle flag deserves what it gets under a sovereign God.
    exposed!

http://www.georgetown.u47.k12.me.us/grade6.01/kv/T790871A.JPG

[​IMG]

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please explain if you will.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep.

9. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

Actally you are wrong. My Sons of Confederate Veterans camp sucessfully stopped a White Supremacist group from using State property for a Confederate Memorial day by reporting them to the State. It was also SCV members that confronted White Supremacist David Duke in Louisiana.

It seems the Indiana Klan have successfully co opted the Stars and Stripes. Should we get a new National Flag?
    [​IMG]

And noted White Supremacist David Duke
    [​IMG]

If the Klan burns a Cross should we remove crosses from our Church? [​IMG]

10. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

11. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

Hey Alanspal.....in that picture you posted, ain't that your cousin Fred standin' by that dawg?

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I checked---and ALANSPAL didn't post the dog----Kiffen did!!! A "Bark but no Bite" dog named Duke!!!!! [​IMG] What a joke for my native state of Louisiana----of course----Louisiana has had its share of crooks and croonies in office---from Governor on down!!!!

13. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

I just hope ol' Duke's not telling that guy in the hat the secret family recipe for those Bush's baked beans.

14. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

Hey Blackbird.. We finally agree on something! [​IMG]

15. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Kiffen---I grew up in Baton Rouge---lived there during the Edwards dynasty(die-nasty)

I've been out of Louisiana for over 12 years---still visit my sister and brother, though!

I hear that former State Insurance Commissioner Jim Brown is "doin' time" in the "Klink!"----reckon where??? Angola----or some Ruston, LA Country Club---makin' license plates or somebody's caddy???????