1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Confessions of a Former Worship Leader

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Aaron, Dec 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Describe for me, if you will, an excessive or riotous style that is inconsistent with Christian demeanor.

2. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Last night I had the privilege of attending the Casting Crowns concert at the Ohio State Fair. It was awesome. Mark Hall, their lead singer, gave a full, Biblical salvation message (not easy-believism), and guided people into praying the prayer for repentance for SIN (a long lost word, but used by Mark!), and told the new converts to plug into a Bible believing church. I was so thrilled to witness this with my own eyes and ears.

And the music was awesome! The new album, Lifesongs , will be a blessing. We heard several selections last night.

I am saying this to echo Dale about the personal knowledge and direct experience of NOT seeing this excessive and/or riotous tripe Aaron cites. God was highly and gloriously honored last night! [​IMG] You absolutely cannot throw all CCM into one bucket. That only shows gross ignorance.

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Though I appreciate the virtual concession that according to the Scriptures certain musical styles are quite out of line for the Christian, right now the argument is whether or not the Scriptures address musical styles at all. We're probably moving slow for someone with your "phenomenal wisdom," but try to stay with us.

[​IMG]

4. Daniel

Daniel New Member

No concession.

and

No they don't.

Signed,
    The Wise one :D
    (nighty-night...see you in the morning... [​IMG] )
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

5. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

Thrash metal.

6. Sularis

Sularis Member

Oh come on are ya trashing Stryper

I know a few folks who listen to "Christian metal" and they dont appear to be evil - lousy taste

7. steveo

steveo New Member

I knew many unbelievers who loved stryper because they were talented musically and where one of the first rock bands with loud punchy kick drums. Listen to most rock bands in the 80's and they had kick drums that sounded like cardboard and then stryper came. Most bands copied and now everybody, even country has a good punchy kick drum sound.
    Even if you don't like their music thier harmonys were superior to most rock bands. When I was in a traveling bar band we even opened with a stryper song as everyone cheered with their mugs of beer.

8. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

While Stryper is absolute crap they are nothing close to thrash metal.

9. steveo

steveo New Member

While Stryper is absolute crap they are nothing close to thrash metal. </font>[/QUOTE]Maybe you don't like their style, but I can assure you that their guitarist has chops that are way harder to play than your contemporary music today. And their singer used to have a range that very few have.
    When I taught guitar(around 1990-1994 you could see the guitar styles change from good technique to sloppy grunge power chords that most beginners play. Most students could play Nirvana, Soundgarden, Thrash metal but very few could play Geroge Lynch(Dokken), Dream Theatre, Mr Big, White Cross, etc. because the guitar parts were to challenging. By the way I do not endorse these bands now, just trying to make a point.

10. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

Yeah, it's that guitar hero technical wizardry of Yngvie Malmsteen, Steve Vai and so on which emphasizes style over substance that I despise so much. I'll take the sloppy chops and poor technique of someone who can evoke his roots and bring a personal connection to his audience over that mindless smokin' fretboard nonsense anyday.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

There's no scripture ban on absolute crap. If that were so, then we'd have to refrain from singing the National Anthem, which, since it was set to the tune of an Old English drinking song, was described as absolute crap by those who heard it in its early days.

12. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

I liked Stryper [​IMG] :cool: Miss the 1980's

13. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

There's no scripture ban on absolute crap. If that were so, then we'd have to refrain from singing the National Anthem, which, since it was set to the tune of an Old English drinking song, was described as absolute crap by those who heard it in its early days. </font>[/QUOTE]Whereas you are referring to crap by association, the phony showboating rock is crap by definition.

14. steveo

steveo New Member

It was always the guitarist that didn't have technique that said things like that:)

15. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

The fact that showman rock died in the 80's and doesn't stand the test of time is a testament to it's shallowness.

16. steveo

steveo New Member

Don't hold your breath, because it will come back. Things go in circles and grunge was just 70's music and we are seeing bands like White Cross, Stryper, etc starting to pop up again.
    Matter of fact one of the songs the producer our band worked with had a song from the 60's make a comeback and remade not to long ago "I'm a believer".

17. Daniel

Daniel New Member

All right, guys, let's back to the topic...you know the style thingie that Aaron is batting around like a badminton shuttlecock. [​IMG]

18. steveo

steveo New Member

Sorry, Just had to say something when someone puts down guitarist with technique.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thrash metal. </font>[/QUOTE]Are you saying, then, that based on principles found in Eph. 5 Thrash metal would be out of place in the life of a Christian no matter his place on the globe or the culture that conditioned him?

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You owe no apologies, especially when the self-appointed moderator employs lame similes.

Sorry. I just expected something more profound from Daniel the Phenomenally Wise. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.