1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

considering a home church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by birdlover99, May 5, 2017.

1. birdlover99

birdlover99 New Member

So I'm considering a home church but i dont know much about it. What We Believe here is this from the church website. can anyone take a look at it and give opinions if it is a good church for a baptist girl to go to. I want a church i can take my whole family too but the methodist church i went to was strange and had nothing for young kids to do. My children were absolutely bored. i see they have sunday school for adults and worship service. thats a big plus in my books. that was one of the things i really didnt like about the methodist church. all they had was the worship service and all things through and done was only an hour long. the website says its iffiliated with the IFCA International. I dont
    know what that means either. Just looking for a "baptist-like" church. so everyone look at the website and tell me what you think. waiting eagerly for all your opinions.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would consider the doctrinal statement to be excellent. I have a couple minor disagreements that would not prevent me from joining that church, enjoying the fellowship of like-minded Christians, and serving there in whatever capacity I was needed.

It looks to me as if you found a good one! :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with TCassidy.

It's a Bible Church, which typically means it's similar in teaching to what you'd find coming out of Moody Bible Institute, Dallas Theological Seminary, etc.

Here in Kansas City, I used to be part of Sherwood Bible Church, which used to be Central Bible Church. That church started Central Bible College, which later became Calvary Bible College and Theological Seminary.

**deep breath**

That may not seem all too important, exept that on the church's Facebook page there is a link to GotQuestions.org which was founded by a graduate of Calvary Seminary.

I feel somewhat confident that what I've seen in multiple Bible Churches would probably be present there:

Senior pastor probably has a doctorate in theology

Associate pastor probably has at least a master's degree in theoloy

Most Sunday School teachers have probably been to seminary

Verse-by-verse expository preaching.

Free Grace theology

Awana for kids

4. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    birdlover99, I don't mean to come across negatively here but one thing you will not read about on any church website is their political make up. Who owns and controls the church?

5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The IFCA International is the former Independent Fundamental Churches of America. For some reason they are like KFC, they now only use the initials and not the name. It is an association of like-minded churches that agree with the doctrinal statement and (probably) support the work of IFCA. A brief history can be found HERE.

6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I looked through the Statement of faith and it seems solid enough, and there are programmes for young people.
    My only issue would be with the Dispensationalism, but if you're OK with that, then go for it. :)

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, the "D" is rampant in this country....even among Reformed types.....just an FYI.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good Point!

9. birdlover99

birdlover99 New Member

What exactly is Dispensationalism? I went to one service so far, it was on mother's day, and I really liked the message so with that it's ok but the hymns we're a little different than what I'm use to.

10. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of my seminary professors gave us a single sentence definition of Dispensationalism: "God changes His manner of dealing with a constantly changing mankind so that He, Himself, can remain Changeless." (Dr. Roland McCune.)

11. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But how were the people?... The reason I ask is this... My wife and I moved from Southern California to Northern California about 3 years ago... We lived with her son and his family for awhile and went to church with them. Though we liked the church we decided that it was their church and not ours... We moved to another area and found another church and were drawn to one couple our age but her and I agreed both growing up in small churches, this one didn't fit us... We moved to another area (in the period of six months we moved 3 times, this not recommended for those over sixty-five) anyway we found another church. This was a pretty large church and as visitors not one person in the whole congregation introduced themselves... We scratched that church off our list... Then we happened find another one off the beaten path so to speak and it's like the Lord drew us there... Soon as we walked to the door a kind greeter, welcomed us and gave us a church bulletin... Then one of the sisters gave us a welcome visitors bag with cookies... A gentlemanly usher welcomed and seated us and the minister welcomed all the visitors... After the service my wife looked around and looked at me and said: This is my church... We joined a short time later and have been there 2 years... To me Doctrine, Discipleship and Fellowship go hand in hand... In some churches there is not always a balance as there should be... Just my thoughts for what they are worth... Find the church you and your family are happy in and join it and get involved... Brother Glen:)

12. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IFCA has been around for many years. I was a member for many years but was unable to attend any gatherings so dropped out. The church you mentioned has Frontier School of the Bible listed as a link. It is of similar thought doctrine wise to the IFCA and I am sitting a few blocks from it. It was founded by a former missionary to the Philippines and a pastor to train people for the ministry. (Three of our grand children graduates from Frontier.)

I suspect you would feel at home with their doctrine, so if the church fits, enjoy :)

IFCA was considered a fundamental group - as much as some baptists dislike the phrase - it is baptistic but not baptist. They follow most baptist doctrines but do not use the name. Frontier is likewise. Both have moved away from fundamentalism in some ways but not doctrinally.

I might add the IFCA is made up of, as the name states, INDEPENDENT FUNDAMENTAL CHURCHES which are owned by the INDEPENDENT churches. It is an association of like minded independent churches.

#12 exscentric, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
  13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's the difference?

14. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just had to respond because I myself am a Graduate of Frontier. I always get excited when I run across someone that has heard of the school let alone knows someone that went there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

15. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some Baptists I've known would say those that are baptistic are just baptists that don't know it :)

16. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Just had to respond because I myself am a Graduate of Frontier. I always get excited when I run across someone that has heard of the school let alone knows someone that went there."

:) trust you enjoyed your time there, I'm sure you learned some.

17. birdlover99

birdlover99 New Member

the people were very nice and several did introduce themselves to me. During the bible school, before the actual service, the assistant pastor does a small study and I was a little disappointed to see that not very many people attend it but the main pastor got up in the middle of the teaching to hand me a worksheet that they print off to help us study and review the lesson at home; l found that act very nice and definitely a great sign of welcoming. I really enjoyed seeing all the happy kids and hope to be able to take my kids to church one weekend. I did only go to one service so far and expect with continued attendance, more people might introduce themselves. It is definitely still on the list. The last church I went to, everyone was very friendly but when the pastor asked what type of church I was raised on and I told him it was a southern baptist church, he straight up told me that he didn't believe this church would fit me but was glad that I had came. He also had noticed that I had the KJV bible and made sure to mention that if I wanted to follow along with his service that there would be several NIV bibles in each pew. I was totally not impressed.