1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Continuing the eschatology

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by prophecy70, Oct 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do some not realize that ungodly will try to copy the light, but are not “originators” of light? There is nothing the ungodly can “create” but perversion of that which is Godly.

Only God is the creator.

“Futurist” thinking didn’t begin with the ungodly. That is misdirection propagated by those who would promote either the ungodly and/or that which is self promoting.

I look to the future. I trust in the future for that is what the definition of faith includes

Faith - The assurance of that HOPED FOR that substance of is yet to be seen. (Hebrews 11)

Does one have true faith if they are not future oriented?

Only the Lord knows.

But the idea that “futurists” are somehow in league with the ungodly or that the ungodly created futurists is just wrong thinking, IMO.

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Before this thread closes, I want to thank all the participants for being reasonably reasonable and placing the discussion above that which is petty.

I enjoyed this thread, and trust that the topic will continue in another.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not suggest that. That is not in the reply of Jesus, to His original point but in reply to the off topic question about the Lord returning, and when. There were two unrelated questions (or 2+2 if you prefer) and two separate answers, separated by "BUT" in verse 36.

Jesus gave an answer to when the Temple would be destroyed, When you see the Abomination of Desolation standing where it should not, that is "When you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies. then know that its desolation is nigh." They did see and scarpered, Did they come back? Would you if your nation had just defeated the most powerful nation in the world, a nation that is not known to accept defeat lightly and had many more legions to replace the defeated one, who would return and impose retribution?

The first part was fulfilled historically and literally, the second part is in the future.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He was just repeating Joels, prophecy

It was future tense in the prophecy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I highly doubt 1.1 million jews were aware of it and let it happen.

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Full blown version of this is heresy, and has been condemned as such bu the historical church, as it denies the Second Coming, and physical resurrection of the saints!

7. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But they were not Christians, and would not have been told of Christ's warning, or would not believe it, just as people today will not believe it when we preach that Christ is coming for judgement on sinners.

#187 David Kent, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  8. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Futurism is a modern teaching for the protestant church, and Paul warns us that false teachers would come in the last days, teaching doctrines of devils. But not so modern for the Catholics,

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My facts come from UNDENIABLE HISTORY. Those events are entirely-absent from it. You CANNOT prove differently. So, they're still future.

10. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, then, Sir, please ***PROVE*** that the following prophesied events have already happened, & please name the people involved, if a name is called for.

Who was the "beast/antichrist/man of sin" & who was his deputy, the false prophet?

When was the marka the beast issued, and what did it look like? And what was the name of the man who issued it?

When did the "abomination of desolation" occur, complete with a speaking statue of the "beast"?

When did the great trib occur, complete with a hail of 100-lb. rocks, destruction of all life in the seas, all green grass being burned up, etc?

And if the great trib has already occurred, how come Jesus didn't return IMMEDIATELY AFTERWARD, as He said He would?

Now, let's see who's teaching the doctrine of devils!

11. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the pret pronouncements are true, Jesus is LONG-OVERDUE! But I believe JESUS, not the prets.

12. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The vast majority of the early ECFs were futurists.

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, as they held to what would be called historical Premil viewpoint, as The pretierist and Amil would be the later ones that come.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is easy.

1 The man of sin/antichrist is the pope. His deputy is the Black Pope, the general of the Jesuits,

2 The mark of the beast is the sign of the cross given by the right hand on the forehead by the priest at RC "baptism". without which nobody could conduct business in the dark ages.

3 The "abomination of desolation" has noting to do with any speaking statue. You are very good at inventing things. The first part of the Olivet prophecy was all to do with Jesus comment about the destruction of the temple. That has happened. The temple is not there, show me where it is if you disagree.

4 The great tribulation in the Olivet prophecy happened during the Roman war. The rest is in Revelation.

5 Great tribulation in Revelation is on the church, It is still going on.

15. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No they were not. The prophecies that they saw to be fulfilled were future to them but they are now history. Rome was conquered by 10 kings, they gave power to the papacy, he overthrew 3 of them all past now, but future to them

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some did think the last 3½ years of the 70 weeks may be future. They mostly thought that the Antichrist would follow immediately after the Roman Empire fell an the Emperor was take away. Then would be the end of all things (Tertullian)

17. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While most of the ECF seemed to be pre mil, I cannot see that Tertullian was as given in my post above.

18. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you (I think!). My point was (is) that AD 70 cannot be the Return of Christ because there were signs of it beforehand (Matthew 24:32-34) and it did not come like a thief in the night (v.36).

19. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.