1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Continuing the eschatology

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by prophecy70, Oct 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning
    This thread will be closed sometime after 3 PM Pacific.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course not. On another site someone listed many writers before 1800 who he said were dispensationalist. Among them John Newton. Well it seems that he gathered all the names that mentioned dispensation and included them. Well those that studied at the time seemed to mention two dispensation, The Old and the New (Testaments or covenants, if you will.)

3. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I came late to this thread and haven't finished reading it yet.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the prominent viewpoint held in the first 3 centuries of the church was historical premil.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe it's pretty obvious that Jesus was once here, and that he departed. So, any coming after that departure has to be a "return".

#145 robycop3, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is not a written view. Sorry. Please answer my other post. about The explanation of the OT verses.

7. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with your first point. But the temple is the Church. Paul said "You are the temple of the living God." The Pope sits in Christ's seat, just as the Pharisees sat in Moses' seat. Except that the Antichrist is nowhere mentioned in Daniel 9. That is not a literal understanding. it is bending scripture to fit your preconceived ideas.

8. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, REALLY?

Then, how come real Christians are a minority worldwide, especially among the Jews?

9. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am wanting to repk
    I can tell you have little patience for preterism. That, of course, makes discussion with you difficult. Unfortunate. But I am also reminded of the time when I had a discussion board and I was very hard on those preterists - especially those nasty full-blown preterists.

But they provoked me into a closer study of God's precious Word. And eventually I came around.

Don't lose patience with me. I am a fellow brother in Christ who loves the Lord and who loves God's Word. And I know I am always required to speak the truth as I see it responsibly, soberly, lovingly. I don't care that you quote Doctor This or Professor That (You tend to over do this) but when you - or anyone else quotes Scripture - I always look it up if I don't know it. I am here to learn. But I am also here to share what I know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you don't believe those events will occur?

11. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep! The important thing is that He's coming-- really, truly-- and physically!. And if we want to be like 1st Century Christians, we should be eagerly awaiting Him (1 Corinthians 1:7; Philippians 3:20-21; 1 Thessalonians 1:9-10; Titus 2:11-13; Hebrews 9:28; 2 Peter 3:12).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that a number of them considered the Mil as equivalent to the seventh day of creation. A period of rest for the saints. Some more modern writers seemed to as well, some explicit, some implied.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

A diary records the events from back in the mid 1830’s.

There was a small group that stood against overwhelming odds.

Before dawn, nearly everyone in the small group had been killed, and those left were brought before the large group leader.

One of those in the small group cried out, “I’m a star.”

He wasn’t talking about Hollywood fame, but using a common idiom of the day to indicate he was an important (think of political power importance) individual.

It didn’t matter, they were all killed and burned, anyway.

“Star” can refer to a variety of items.

It can, because many political folks seek meaning by looking to star charts, be a combination of both failure in people, and what they use as predictors and guides.

It can literally be the hot gaseous objects have already been turned off and the time light travels hasn’t finished and humankind is oblivious.

What is true is that God gave very specific prophecies. Those concerning the first comming were fulfilled as they were given and not recharacterized.

Therefore, it remains reliably certain the prophecies concerning the second coming are just as trustworthy.

14. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The coming attack won't worry about "collaterals". And yes, I know some Jews fled to Pella, which the Romans didn't bother with.

And this concept carries over to modern warfare. Please consider the "island-hopping" Pacific campaign of WW2 when the Allies attacked only those islands they considered important to the enemy.

15. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone said "All history is biased," I am not sure who, but dad used to quote it often to get me to be careful when reading history.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suggest you study history as well. The prophesied eschatological events are totally-absent from it.

Remember what the word "eschatology" means. That's what this thread is about.

Partial preterism is JUST-AS-INCORRECT as full preterism. JESUS HIMSELF proves it. If the great trib has already occurred, He is long-overdue, as He said,
    Matt. 24:29 “Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 30 Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory."

17. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, Paul and John didn't write? Verrry interesting...

And I believe the OT verses will cometa pass as God said.

18. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ALL Christians did, Otherwise they would have been disobedient to the Command of Jesus. This was in AD 66 when Cestius withdrew his army from Jerusalem when almost on the point of victory. "The most serious military blunder in History."

19. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still, no preterist attempts to ***PROVE*** the events they SAY have already happened, HAVE already happened. This is the THIRD such thread, & still NO PROOF!

20. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And then, there was PLENTY of time to flee before Titus came with another army.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.