1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Coronation of Edward VI - 1546 - On His Estimation of the Bible

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by AVBunyan, Aug 23, 2004.

1. AVBunyan

AVBunyan New Member

Coronation of Edward VI - 1546
    A Proper Estimation of the Word of God

As the preparations were being made for the coronation procession, the piety of the youthful monarch was shown in an incident that is worth remembering. John Bale relates, upon the authority of credible witnesses, that when three swords were brought to be carried in the procession, as emblematic of his three kingdoms, the king said “there was one yet wanting.”

The nobles inquired what it was and he answered, “The Bible,” and then added, “That book is the sword of the Spirit, and to be preferred before these swords. That ought in all right to govern us, who use them for the people’s safety by God’s appointment. Without that sword we are nothing, we can do nothing, we have not power. From the Bible we are what we are this day. From it we receive whatsoever it is that we at present do assume. He that rules without it, is not to be called God’s minister or king. Under the Bible, the word of God, we ought to live, to fight, to govern the people and to perform all our affairs. From it alone we obtain all power, virtue, grace, salvation and whatsoever we have of divine strength. “

Now, that is the kind of earthly ruler we need today! Wouldn’t it be something if even the average Christian esteemed the word of God like young Edward VI did back in 1546.

God bless

2. natters

natters New Member

Amen. Good post. [​IMG]

3. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Unfortunately in this age of skepticism there are too many people trying to cast doubt on the credibility of the Bible.

Some of them are in church, even in the pulpits.

Many of them have an "AV" or "1611" in their screen names.

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which Bible was Edward referring to?

5. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Assuiming he was referring to the English Bible at all, the only authorized English translation that existed at the time was the Great Bible, an edition of Miles Coverdale's translation.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean there WAS a Bible in English before 1611? Bunyan, that was a great story. If you don't want it to turn into a platform for PSR or Michelle to rant on the same old, you should ask it to be moved AWAY from the Versions forum.

7. AVBunyan

AVBunyan New Member

That's fine - I wasn't trying to start anything - I figured that with all the shots going back in forth I thought a little edifying post on the word of God in general would be uplifting and create a "breather" or "lull in the storm" - Good suggestion - how does it get moved?

And by the way - I believe their were Bibles, translations, etc. prior to 1611 and God obviously blessed them abundantly! I never said God's words were not available - when I refer to the AV1611 I'm referring to what God did in 1611 to come up with one more exact translation so there would be one authority - just makes sense to me. I'm not as rediculous as I appear to be!

Finally, if I thought PSR or Michelle would have made something of it then I wouldn't have posted it. But I wasn't worried - I had confidence in where they are coming from along with their discernment and figured they wouldn't turn it into something that it wasn't meant to be. They probaly understood exactly the intent and I'm sure they got a blessing from it.

God bless

[ August 23, 2004, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: AVBunyan ]

8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you presume to put an artificial limitation on what God can do? Nowhere has God said that He would make "one more exact translation so there would be one authority". Nor did God ever claim credit for the KJV translation.

9. AVBunyan

AVBunyan New Member

10. michelle

michelle New Member

--------------------------------------------------
    Finally, if I thought PSR or Michelle would have made something of it then I wouldn't have posted it. But I wasn't worried - I had confidence in where they are coming from along with their discernment and figured they wouldn't turn it into something that it wasn't meant to be. They probaly understood exactly the intent and I'm sure they got a blessing from it.
    --------------------------------------------------

I sure did enjoy reading your post. Thank you very much for sharing that with all of us. It definately was a blessing to me, and I hope it was and will be for others also. It is wonderful to see rulers revere the word of God above all else. I too, believe it would be great if they did today.

love in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour,
    michelle