1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Countdown Stormagedden

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Deacon, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've got the day off... I'll be spending it with you, my wife and eating comfort foods while we watch the snowfall.

Philly has closed the city down, schools have shut their doors throughout the region, businesses have told employees to stay home.

I woke up this morning and we have an inch of snow - clearly the prediction of a snowpocalypse was wrong. Don't they read the bible? No one knows!

Perhaps the snapture will come later in the day.

What's it like in your neck of the woods?

Rob

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

If you want to know what messed up weather forecasts are like, come live in North Georgia for a year. Over the course of the last week, the weather forecast for this coming weekend went from possibly 3-4 inches of snow, to snow showers, to snow flurries, to rain, to mid-to-upper forties and maybe rain.

Of course, last year during the Snowpocalypse, the forecast called for all the snow to fall from Atlanta to Macon, up until the morning of the storm, when everything changed, but only after most of metro Atlanta had gone to work. I made it home safely, but was then stuck at home for three days. Originally forecast to get maybe an inch or two or snow and ice. Ended up with 6-8 inches at my house, iced over roads and breaking limbs from the wind.

I would hate to be a meteorologist in Georgia.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So two Sunday's ago we had a freak occurrence; a flash freezing of rain as it fell on the cold pavement.

I was clued-in about the ice as I walked across my driveway and drove very slowly to church knowing that traction was nil.

About half-way there's a hill I go down then back up and I knew I'd never make it up unless I built up some speed.

Meanwhile a little more than a half-mile ahead there was another driver. He didn't pick his speed up and as I was reaching about 20 mph I see him slowing and stopping midway up the hill and then he begins to slide back down the hill towards me. He ended up sliding into a shallow ditch on the side of the road.

As he does this, another driver coming the other way in a big monster SUV sees him slide into the ditch and breaks to see the action. Of course he slips and begins to slide sideways down the hill towards me too – meanwhile I've stopped accelerating but I'm still heading towards this fiasco at about 15 mph. I'm thinking, "O Lord, this is going to get really interesting really soon!"

I manage to skirt between the two missing any action by about a foot in each direction and maneuvered onto the rumble strip for traction up the hill… and I just kept driving to church. Didn't look like anyone was hurt, it happened in slow motion, we were going so slow.

They cancelled church after I got there.

Rob

5. Gib

Gib Active Member

It's a brisk 46 degrees outside, bright and sunny. Road conditions were fine until I got behind a school bus with a leaky exhaust. It took a mind-blowing 3 miles before me and the Honda on my bumper could pass.

6. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Meteorologists apologize for huge blizzard miss.

Whoops.

For most of New York and New Jersey, what was supposed to be the Blizzard of 2015 turned into the Bust of the Century instead.

As the sun rose Monday, there were forecasts that New York City and northern New Jersey could conceivably see 24 to 36 inches of snow from a storm described as "crippling" and "historic."

By sunrise Tuesday, Central Park had only 6.3 inches of snow, with the National Weather Service acknowledging there might as little as 2 more inches on the way. Parts of New Jersey that had been in line for as much as 18 inches ended up with as little as 3 inches.

Gary Szatkowski, the meteorologist in charge of the National Weather Service's office in Mt. Holly, New Jersey, stunned people in the wee hours Tuesday with a heartfelt apology for the blown forecast.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102371281

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Deacon - We had that same ice that you had and it was crazy!! SOOO many ended up in the ER and we almost didn't make it to church.

Today we are dug out and our travel ban was lifted a few hours ago but really nothing is open anyway so we are just home. My daughter needs a new car battery but Sears and Pep Boys are closed so I guess we will wait until tomorrow. We will drive her to the train station to get her to her apartment in NY City and her classes for the new semester starts tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm having fun watching the birds enjoying all of the seed I put out for them!

8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have a slightly inclined driveway that faces north and is in the house's shadow. I parked my truck, got out and was going to open the back door to retrieve some boxes when I noticed the truck was starting to slide down the driveway! I quickly hopped into the truck, started it up, and did a brake stand, hoping to melt the ice under the rear tires to give the truck purchase on the driveway. That didn't work, so I had to back the truck out of the driveway and salt the tire tread marks where I drive up/down the driveway.

Very strange thing to see a parked vehicle sliding down my driveway.

9. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Had the same thing happen, though I did not discover it until my auto was stopped in the center of the street.