1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Creating Your Own God

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Oct 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you disdainfully regard as an absurdity is God's Holy Word. In Christ always refers to the Regenerate = Saved = Believers = Beloved = Children of God =The Sheep,= The Church = The Body = Christians. The Scriptures never refer to those outside of Christ being 'in Christ.'

There many verses which speak of believers being in Christ, which is a apparently a new doctrine for you.
    Here are a few :
    Romans 8:1 : Therefore, there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
    2 Cor. 5:17 : Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new has come: The old has gone, the new is here!
    1 Peter 5:4 : peace to all of you who are in Christ.

But check out other passages for yourself, I won't do all your required homework:
    Romans 6:11; 12:5; 16:3,9
    1 Cor. 1;2,30; 16:24
    2 Cor. 1:21; 2:17; 12:2,19
    Gal. 1:22; 2:4; 3:6,27,28
    Eph. 1:1; Phil. 1:1; Col. 1:2,4

And there are still a lot more passages that spell it out for even a babe in Christ as 1 Cor. 3:1 has it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did anyone say the "men of flesh" were in Christ? Thus, Paul is speaking to people in Christ as He would people not in Christ. Therefore 1 Corinthians 3:1-3 teaches the unregenerate can indeed understand and receive spiritual milk which includes the gospel of Christ.

Just read it folks...

#102 Van, Oct 9, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1Co 3:1 (NLT)
    Dear brothers and sisters, when I was with you I couldn’t talk to you as I would to spiritual people. I had to talk as though you belonged to this world or as though you were infants in the Christian life.

Clearly people who belong to this world (unregenerate) can understand and receive spiritual milk, which includes the gospel of Christ.

Stand by for yet another change of subject...

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the tactics of false teachers is to make claims not based on specific statements contextually considered, but on undefined statements. For example, say I claim God put invisible pink elephants in orbit around Mars. You say show me the evidence.

I say "all things are possible with God." Then I attack, by saying by your denial that God did not put them in orbit, you are diminishing the divine attributes of God, and you deny God is sovereign and does as He pleases.

Take, "No one seeks after God." Does this mean no one ever, at any time, while unregenerate seeks God? Nope. But if you offer a more limited meaning, based on context, then the false teachers say you are adding to scripture. Never mind they did, claiming their interpretation is what it says, and any other view adds to scripture.

What is a way of finding the intended scope of "open ended" statements, rather than claiming everything imaginable is intended?

Ask the question, What is the least that God could be stating. No one seeks God some of the time or at any time? Some of the time. The context of Romans 3 indicates the idea is when a person is sinning, they are not seeking God. Thus Paul uses the fact that we do not seek God all of the time to prove we are all under sin.

There are many examples of the use of the bogus ploy, such as God would not destroy people in Gehenna because God is love. Overshooting the bounds of open ended statements can lead us into false doctrine. A sound bible study practice is to be a minimalists, being careful not to add to scripture by expanding the scope beyond its intent.

By reading something not intended into the text, which is adding to scripture, the speculators create their own God, with attributes according to their interpretation, but not actually supported from scripture. Stick with what scripture says God has done and is doing. Such as reconciling the world, crediting the faith of some as righteousness, putting individuals into Christ, through faith in the truth.

#104 Van, Oct 9, 2021
  5. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you miss the first phrase "Dear brothers and sisters"? Therefore, Paul is not addressing them as unregenerate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note "I had to talk as though you belonged to this world" is once again ignored.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An Interpretive Translation of 1 Corinthians 3:1-2:

Siblings, I could not speak to you as indwelt mature Christians, but as to those not indwelt or those recently indwelt but immature. I gave you milk and not solid food for you were unable, and are still unable to make use of spiritual solid food.

Scripture makes clear the lost can be reached with some spiritual things, spiritual milk, the fundamentals of the gospel.

8. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where did you find such a translation?

Here is a better:
    1Brothers, I could not address you as spiritual, but as worldly—as infants in Christ. 2I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for solid food. In fact, you are still not ready,. 3for you are still worldly.
    Reason they are considered worldly

For since there is jealousy and dissension among you, are you not worldly? Are you not walking in the way of man?
    4For when one of you says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not mere men? 5What then is Apollos? And what is Paul? They are servants through whom you believed, as the Lord has assigned to each his role. 6I planted the seed and Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. 7So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. 8He who plants and he who waters are one in purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. 9For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building.
    Van, you are emboldened in error.

This is not about Calvinism, it is about rightly rendering the Scriptures.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another subject change post.
    Paul spoke to the new Christians as to unregenerates. Pretty simple.
    Why cannot any Calvinist admit to the plain meaning?
    Why post taint so again and again when it is obviously so...

Here is an interpretive translation of 1 Cor. 3:1-2:
    Siblings, I could not speak to you as indwelt mature Christians, but as to those not indwelt or those recently indwelt but immature. I gave you milk and not solid food for you were unable, and are still unable to make use of spiritual solid food.

Scripture makes clear the lost can be reached with some spiritual things, spiritual milk, the fundamentals of the gospel.

10. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul did not speak to new Christians as unregenerate. But as believers who lacked maturity.

Because you didn’t answer where you got the translation, are we to assume this is another of your attempts?

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, "as to men of flesh" has already been acknowledge as referring to unregenerates. Can you not stick with one story?

The answer to the question where did Calvinism come from is "the dark ages."
    Why do Calvinists lack comprehension of the obvious? Blinded by preconceptions of falsehood.

12. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    There you go again. You quote nary a word I said from whatever post of mine and yet you pontificate upon nothing. Context man. Context. If you disagree with someone at least quote what they say. It's the decent and mature thing to do.
    1 Corinthians 3:1 -3 certainly does not teach what you claim. Clearly it is addressing Christians --not the unregenerate. The unregenerate are not 'in Christ.' So your entire premise falls flat. Your Bible study methods are clearly in need of a serious overhaul.

13. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is it that you are the only one bringing up this? Why can't you deal with the Scriptures alone. We are --the non-Van folks.

14. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clearly the above is a Vanized gloss bearing no relationship with any legitimate translation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another you, you, you off topic post of clear and present harassment.
    Did anyone say Paul was addressing the unregenerate? Nope - so obfuscation
    Did anyone say the unregenerate are in Christ? Nope - so more obfuscation

Here is an interpretive translation of 1 Cor. 3:1-2:

This is an accurate rendering of a widely held interpretation of the verse!!!

The answer to the question where did Calvinism come from is "the dark ages."
    Why do Calvinists lack comprehension of the obvious? Blinded by preconceptions of falsehood.

16. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    Verse 2 is okay, but the way in which verse one is rendered is an unfaithful, error-filled, agenda driven 'translation.'

#116 RipponRedeaux, Oct 9, 2021
  17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another taint so post...

Paul spoke to the Corinthians as to nonspiritual (not indwelt) people or people recently indwelt but immature. He used spiritual milk, which includes the fundamentals of the gospel. Thus unregenerates can understand and receive the gospel of Christ.

And of course, every Calvinist will deny the meaning of 1 Corinthians 3:1-3 because it teaches "total spiritual inability" is as bogus as a three dollar bill.

Stand by for taint so, and nobody agrees with Van, and other attempts at obfuscation. Just read it folks...

#117 Van, Oct 9, 2021
  18. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's so Van of you. In almost any thread in any forum you participate in that's your stock-in-trade phrase. And for 17 minutes you let it stand. So substantive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note, that does not mean they are unregenerate. There is nothing in the verse that explicitly or implicitly says such a thing. Instead, calling them brothers fully implies they are regenerate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, all Calvinists do is post "taint so" with no effort to explain why something isn't so... Then they complain for being called out for obfuscation. Go figure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.