1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Creeds? Historicity?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Jun 6, 2011.

?
  1. I hold them in VERY high regard and count a man a heretic who opposes at least the ecumenical creeds

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. I think they are somewhat useful; one should adhere to most of what is in them

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. I do not need the creeds or any man to teach me anything about theology- I have the Holy Ghost!

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. SERVETUS!!!

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm more a doctrinal "confession" than a "creed" person, but there is nothing in those creeds that are not rooted/founded in the Word.

Anyone who would deny a part of orthodox Christian faith is heretical in that area, for certain.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Pretty close to my own story. I was raised with the same philosophy.

That is not the way I understand the first 500 years of the church.

The Apostle's Creed, for example, was written within the first 50 years of the last New Testament writing to answer the heresy of Gnosticism. There was no Roman hierarchy at that time.

There was then, as there is now, one catholic church of which all Christians were and are a part- but no ROMAN catholic church.

By the time of the Nicene Creed the same is still basically true. There were five primary bishoprics in the empire and Rome was just one of them.

And the Church was not persecuting ANYONE at this time. The graves of their own martyrs were still fresh when the Nicene Creed was written. Christianity had JUST been legalized about a decade before the Council of Nicaea met.

It really does.

Luke 3:3 And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins;

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

I agree with that.

3. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

English as a language was not even invented at the time of the writing of most of the major creeds of Christendom. Nor did most people read or write.

Interestingly, there was a general downgrade of the educational process and general knowledge in the world shortly after the time of the writing of the creeds (coinciding with the advance of Islam) called the Dark Ages, where if not for a strong Church with creeds easily taught and memorized, much of Christendom would have been left by the wayside. We assume that knowledge was universal as it (mostly) is now, but that was not always the case.

Still no excuse for making creeds binding as a confession (though they ARE essentially the biblical gospel distilled).

4. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Kudos, thank you. Let us also remember, at that time it was indeed the Catholic church and in particular the monks of Ireland which helped to preserve christianity, even though today we have serious issues with Catholic church, of this we can be grateful, even as protestants.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I value these creeds highly. I have recently memorized the Apostles' Creed.

One of the strengths of some denominations, like UMC, PCA, etc., is the usage of these creeds to affirm what is central in our doctrinal moorings.

Those who reject creeds/confessions invariably reject something orthodox. Not all, but most in my experience.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I agree. Well said and worth saying.