1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Crowns

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by natters, Aug 5, 2004.

1. natters

natters New Member

1 Corinthians 9:25, 2 Timothy 4:8, James 1:12, 1 Peter 5:4 and Rev 2:10 talk about receiving a crown.

Are the "incorruptible crown", "crown of righteousness", "crown of glory" and "crown of life" all the same crown, or are they different crowns? Are they literal crowns? Will all believers receive a crown, or is it a reward only for some believers?

2. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Revelation 3:11 Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

Crowns are a conditional reward for faithful, obedient Christians. There is not one hint in scripture of a "free" crown. The gift is salvation recieved by faith alone, the prize is a crown won by faithful works after salvation.

Lacy

3. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Great response Lacy. Yes, I'm afraid there are many, even well known Christians, who had started out so well, but have done so much compromising (with the world, in their doctrine, etc.) that they are losing out on rewards that could have been theirs. This is very sad.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Amen. Bro Lacy - clear, concise, and to the point!

5. wopik

wopik New Member

"For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing" --2Timothy 4:6-8.

6. natters

natters New Member

Are they all the same crown though? What about the "crown of life" - wouldn't this be for all who receive eternal life? The "crown of life" is promised to those that love Christ. Can one be saved and not love Christ? Wouldn't all saints receive this crown?

7. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

John 14:21-24
    21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
    22 Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
    23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
    24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

John 15:10-14
    10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
    11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
    12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
    13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
    14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

8. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

James 1:12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

It is conditional. This is written to Christians and has nothing to do with salvation.

I doubt that they all are the same crown. Perhaps they are different aspects of a single crown. But they all have to do with conditional reward.

Lacy

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it is good enough for the 24 elders, think I will join them and cast my crowns before the throne to the only one who is worthy! [​IMG]

10. superdave

superdave New Member

This begs another question though. If one is truly a possessor of the gift of salvation, will his life not evidence spiritual fruit, born out by the receiving of crowns. After all, we should all be able to agree :D that a call to sonship is a call to discipleship right?

Is one without crowns laid up merely indicating that they are not true possessors of saving faith?