1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David Lewis: Indian Missionary and Sabine Divisionary

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by rlvaughn, Oct 19, 2019.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another pastor of Union Baptist Church near Nacogdoches, Texas, in addition to Elder James L. Bryant (of whom I wrote last Thursday), is David Lewis. Like Bryant, we know little of Lewis, when he was born, when he died, or where he is buried. Unlike Bryant, Lewis steps into a 20-something year window of time, appearing in 1832 and disappearing around 1853. Perhaps more will be discovered later.

The first record I find of David Lewis is his ordination, which occurred in May of 1832. The place of ordination was the McDougal Street Meeting-house in New York.[i.]

ORDINATION OF MR. LEWIS
    “On Monday evening, May 17th, in the McDougal Street Meeting-house, New York, Mr. David Lewis was set apart to the work of the gospel ministry with special reference to missionary labor among the Indians. The exercises of the evening were unusually solemn and interesting, the congregation large and attentive, and an anxiety awakened for the heathen in the bosoms of many persons who had previously felt little interest in the cause of Missions.

“He is expected to settle among the Choctaws west of the Mississippi, in the employ of the Baptist General Convention, and with his wife and child left New York for the place of destination, May 25th. They will be followed, we trust, by the prayers of christians, that the Lord will make them a great blessing to the aborigines of our country.”[ii]

From information I have been able to gather, the pastor serving at the McDougal Street Church at the time of David Lewis’s ordination was Duncan Dunbar. We know little specifically of Lewis’s theology – beyond a full embrace of the missionary society methods and his views on communion found in the 1845 Sabine Association circular letter. Certainly, David Lewis must have embraced the main tenets common among Baptists. It is possible that Dunbar’s influence stamped Lewis’s theology. While we know little of Lewis’s views, Duncan Dunbar’s faith and practice is easily ascertained in Duncan Dunbar: the Record of an Earnest Ministry. A Sketch of the Life of the Late pastor of the McDougal St. Baptist Church, New York.[iii]
    These factors make Dunbar a likely candidate of influence on David Lewis. We know they agreed on the issues of the missionary society and missions to the Indians. Our first introduction to Lewis is in 1832 American Baptist Magazine, which reports his ordination and plans to work “among the Choctaws west of the Mississippi.” That he had a wife and one child implies he was a younger man, though at this point there is no evidence of his age at the time of his ordination.

Click link below to read the entire article:
    David Lewis: Indian Missionary and Sabine Divisionary

[i.] From my understanding, this McDougal Street Meeting-house was in Manhattan. The church at that time was apparently named North Beriah Baptist Church. In 1859, the church assumed the name McDougal Street Baptist Church. Reminiscences of Baptist churches and Baptist leaders in New York city and Vicinity, from 1835-1898, p. 35 (George H. Hansell, Philadelphia, PA: American Baptist Publication Society, 1899).
    [ii] The American Baptist Magazine. Vol. XII, Board of Managers of the Baptist General Convention, Boston, MA: Putnam & Damrell, 1832, p. 185.
    [iii] Jeremiah Chaplin, Third Edition, New York, NY: Sheldon and Company, 1868.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you read this?

I've bookmarked it.
    Amazing and refreshing, that men can be so affected by God and His word.:Cool

I miss this kind of writing, and I also miss testimonies like this, that are now a fading memory and mostly gone, today.:(
    Words like these:

"By and by thoughts of the being of a God occurred to my mind, and I began reading the Bible.
    I soon became convinced that I was a great sinner, and must immediately repent"
    - Page 13.

" ..sick of former cherished amusements...", " His sins rose like mountains and he felt the wrath of God abiding on Him.", - Pages 14-15.
    "Young Dunbar told him that the very thought of those companions and pleasures and the hours he had wasted with them were as arrows to the soul." - Page 15.

"It is the sins of my heart, which none but God can see, my rebellion against Him, my rejection of Christ, - in short, my exceeding vileness in his sight, which makes me wish I had never been born! I am so full of sin that I cannot see how God can possibly pardon me, and yet remain a just and holy Being." - Page 17.

" "Failing to find any comfort from the minister", writes a friend, " he went home, feeling as if he should sink into the earth, and saying to himself, " What shall I do, and whither shall I go, to escape the vengeance of an angry God?" " - Page 17.

"Here, in this humble abode, the the troubled one was pointed to Christ as the only way of life, and warned not to make a saviour of his prayers, his efforts, his tears, or even of his deep convictions; and the way to heaven by the cross, without "the deeds of the law", was made plain to his mind." - Page 20.

Read page 20.
    It reads so like my own conversion ( and some of my many trials afterwards ), yet different in detail.

See the journal entries on pages 33-40.
    I don't read much of comments like this today...only in old Baptist accounts, mainly.
    I truly wish I could go back 200 years and meet some of these good brothers and sisters.;)

Page 59 has references to the Spirit of God working effectually on people's hearts, Pilgrim's Progress and God's drawing people to Himself.
    Chapter VIII includes an account while Mr. Dunbar was in New Brunswick...

" Hence began a special study of the Scriptures, which resulted in Mr. Dunbar's becoming thoroughly established in all the fundamental doctrines of grace." - Page 71.
    "Sister P______, do you remember that night when I preached so long to you? ' I do ' said I. 'Well', said he, ' my own eyes have been opened, and I now understand what you were then contending for.' " - Page 71.

"Christian charity", page 114.
    "Sovereign grace", page 120.

Summary:
    Duncan Dunbar was a "particular Baptist".

I like this book...I'll need to finish it at some point.
    Thanks for posting.:)

#2 Dave G, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  3. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dunbar is very interesting. I had not heard of him until I started researching David Lewis and wanted to know about the church from which he came. Dunbar finished well. I'm not so sure about Lewis.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I feel so bad for David Lewis after reading your blog post.
    No, it does not look like he finished well.

One can hope the Lord brought him around, but from the information so far, Mr. Lewis didn't take well to the opportunity presented by his discipline, and instead of using it to seek the Lord and His correction, went the other direction and his troubles increased.:(

5. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I cannot find what happened to him after the early 1850s, so I do not really know if things got better or worse. Here in that period in Texas there are quite a few that just disappear from history. They die, their interment isn't marked, and for better or worse, they slowly (or swiftly) disappear from the memories of people and whatever might have been written down is all that is left. Also, especially if they had no descendants (seem Lewis probably didn't) or if there families moved away. Isaac McCoy had some things to say about Lewis in his history of Indian missions.