1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dean Burgon Quote

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by ReformedBaptist, Aug 3, 2010.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should listen to him. You will never convince him if he does not listen. I am sure you are familiar with the famous passage from Plato's Republic:
    :)

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many of these books "were hundreds of years old and difficult to read",hmm. The KJV fits that description.

It still is not clear from your posts why there must be a singular Bible translation in every language. So in your view the Lord can't manage to have several translations in the very same language like he did from say 1526-1611 or so?

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The test of faith has absolutely nothing to do with the man-made philosophy of KJVOism.

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

#64 Mexdeaf, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2010
  5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I do! I care about so many of you guys on here.

6. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I care about the struggles of a pastor. In fact, I have a temendous amount of pity in my heart for them. hahah! Listen brothers, God called you to pastor a church, He appointed you, don't whine about it. And for me who is not appointed to that work (yet) I have every right to expect much of you. haha!

My comments about pastoral help was more of a challenge than a complaint. But I did find a man who addressed this subject pastorally, and I think it would be of great use to many pastors here.

http://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/articles/onsite/Preaching_from_the_Footnotes.PDF

And even if the Lord doesn't appoint me as a shepherd of His house, He has appointed me as shepherd and govenor of my own. And brethren, there is to now be seven sheep the Lord has given me (I have six, and we learned a week ago we have a seventh on the way!).

Btw, I raised this subject among my own elders. And they are good men of God who exhorted me and gave me some things to read. Praise the Lord, that is pastoral. But I know that in discussion boards you expect debate and someone looking for a fight. Reckon in my case that I am normally not. I have in the past, but I have given that up as a bad habit.

God bless

7. ReformedBaptist

Since the quoting of Jesus' words here refers to what He says, I will limit my obedience to Him.

In the meantime, I'll get back to the study-work you think I am not doing. :type::tongue3:

8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I can't wait until you get the experience of being a pastor and walk a while in "our" shoes. :rolleyes:

I had a bad day yesterday. Forgive me for being a frail man.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Congratulations on your newest blessing! I pray that your wife has a healthy and safe 9 months and that next spring, you have a wonderfully healthy new little one in your arms.

10. RAdam

RAdam New Member

So it was man, and not God, who established the rules. Let me ask you this: why don't I see one single instruction on how to carry out this important work in scripture? I mean, if you are correct, this has to be one of the most important duties of a child of God. The bible is, after all, that which tells us about Jesus Christ and how to worship Him. It tells us how to baptize, it tells us how to hold communion, it tells us how to run the church. Yet it says nothing of this textual criticism. God, who told us how to do everything else important, apparently left the details of this important work for man to figure out.

11. RAdam

RAdam New Member

No sir. You said God commanded us in His word to remove the errors that creep in by copying it. I sincerely would like to know which scripture tells me this. Obviously this would be extremely important and something I'd need to know. Give me one scripture that instructs me that I am to remove error from God's word.

While you are hunting for that I'll give you one scripture to chew on:

2 Timothy 2:15 - "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

Preachers have been pointing this out for years and years, and they are right: it didn't say rightly dividing truth from error. It says rightly dividing the word of truth. Apparently there are no errors in God's word. Of course, this is supported by other scriptures. For instance, Jesus said unto the Father in John 17, "thy word is truth." Proverbs 30 says, "every word of God is pure." Jesus said in Matthew 4:4 that man is to live by "every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." NT writers based arguments sometimes on a single word. I don't see a single shred of evidence that would lead me to believe that God's word has any errors in it. In fact, I see abundant evidence that suggests the contrary, that God's word is pure and free from errors.

I'm still interested to see this bible verse that tells me that I am to remove errors from God's word.

12. RAdam

RAdam New Member

What arrogance! I've got one for you:

It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.

13. ReformedBaptist

I walked in them for a short period of time. I have pastored a church. And seriously brother, I am pastoring my family. Please accept my apology for not be sensitive toward you brother.

I look at the work of a pastor/elder as that of a soldier. When I hear a pastor complaining of his work my tendency is to tell him to suck it up soldier! But that comes from my old soldiering days. (US Army, 91B).

Again, sorry for being insensitive.

14. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is unfortunate that you not only ignore God's command to guard His word, but you also deny His ability to lead His people. He made it clear we are to guard His word. Just as with most things He left the mechanics and details up to us. He gave us sound minds and the ability to engage in logical thought processes, then gave us His command.

If you refuse to use the logical abilities He gave you, or you refuse to use the sound mind He, presumably, gave you, there is nothing I can do. If you will not listen to God you certainly will not listen to me. :(

15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can you rightly divide truth if you are not willing to root out error?

16. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Point me to one single scripture that tells me that there is error in the bible. I keep asking for this and have yet to see one.

Also, I would like a scripture that tells me I am to guard God's word against being corrupted. Now, I'm not talking about defending God's word against those that would misuse it. You are telling me that I am charged with keeping God's written word from being corrupted by searching out errors and removing them. Where does God command me to do this?

Surely, if you are correct, it will be stated clearly in the word of God. And if I am neglecting such important commands, I need correction. Please, point me to these important scriptures.

17. RAdam

RAdam New Member

While you are searching for the scriptures that command me to pull out the errors that are in the scriptures, I am going to point to some verses that seem to teach that there aren't errors in the scriptures. I've quoted one already, but I'll produce some more.

Psalm 12:6 - "The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times."

Proverbs 30:5 - "Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him."

Matthew 4:4 - "But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."

Apparently the bible is telling me that every single individual word is pure. It is also telling me that every single individual word is important because I am to live by them. Also notice that Jesus said it is written, not it was written. In other words, the scriptures in those days accurately stated what was originally written by Moses. Jesus, apparently, didn't believe that error had crept into the word of God.

Then I notice that every single NT writer has the same opinion about the word of God, that it is not only authoritative, but that it is also accurately preserved and free from error. Paul argues from a single word and the tense of a single word. So does Jesus. Jesus asked the Sadducees, "have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living." Jesus not only bases His argument on the tense of the word "am" (if it said "was" His whole point collapses), but He also states that the written word they had at their disposal accurately states this. The view He held on the written copies of scripture in that day is also held by every NT writer and apostle. I have yet to find one shred of evidence that the bible has any errors in it that need to be removed. Instead the bible seems to be telling me to view it as accurately preserved in all points and to believe it even down to individual words and their tenses.

18. ReformedBaptist

That is a sound reply. I am asking this as an honest question. Because what gave rise to my questions was being in a Bible study where we were looking at the Greek, and because one man used the Nesle/Aland and I had the Traditional Text, we found two different Greek words being used which had two different meanings.

Now the meaning was not that significant and had no bearing on any essential Christian doctrine. But it did cause me to question which one of the words was God's?

I knew previously that the difference existed because of the two mss familes being used, one of the Traditional Text and the other the Critical Text. Since there is a rather large difference between the two, which one should be received by the Church as the Word of God?

19. RAdam

RAdam New Member

To answer that question we must consider something:

God promised to preserve His word and told His people that every single word in the bible was important. Really, we must conclude from this that God's people would have such a bible in all ages. Not all of God's people, but at least some. By the way, this is one reason I reject the extreme notion that the KJV represents the final stop in the evolution of God's word, that it is somehow an improvement on what came before. That's nonsense. God has either provided a preserved copy of His bible to His people in all ages, or they haven't been able to study and feast on every word of God.

Now, the problem with the texts commonly called the "critical texts" is that they weren't in use for a long period of time. Some people consider them more reliable because they are physically older. I don't consider this a decisive argument as we cannot ascertain from their age which is more accurate. The critical point to me is their use by Christians in all ages. That is one reason I don't accept the critical texts.

What has historically been accepted by God's people? There is a key question.

20. ReformedBaptist

Well, the answer to your question unless I missed it is that for the Hebrew/Aramic is the Masoretic Text, and for the NT was the Recieved Text, or Traditional Text. Is that correct?