1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Democrat, liberal, leftist

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by JonC, Jun 17, 2022.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Aaron and a couple of others have made some strange comments that have me wondering about definitions.

I am, per their opinion, a Democrat and a liberal. But I am not sure how I fit the definitions.

It is true that I have decided, based on personal convictions, to abstain from voting. It is a conviction I've had for some time, but just didn't commit to following.

Here is my voting record:

I voted for George H Bush (this was the first time I voted) for George W Bush, McCain, Romney, and Trump. I didn't particularly like McCain or Romney but I voted Republican. I didn't vote when I was in Bosnia.

I am not very political, but here are a few things I believe:

Fiscally I am conservative.

I believe we need a strong military.

I believe we need to de-incentivise the welfare system.

I believe in a small federal government and strong state governments (but I think states sold out decades ago)

I believe the DNC platform is the sins Paul lists in Romans 3

I believe in freedom of speech and the right to bear arms

I am anti-abortion

I believe we should have school vouchers so that parents have control over their children's education. We should not be forced to support a school system that has drifted so far left.

A marriage is between a man and a woman

You are the gender you were when you were born. You can tell your gender by taking a quick look at your body parts.

The economy will self-regulate if allowed to, but the government interferes too often for political gain.

I believe Capitalism is the optimal solution

People should have the right to manage their own lives, their own health, and their own resources, and their own property

Universal health care produces inadequate health options where ultimately the government makes health decisions for people

The US has enough resources that we should not be dependent on other nations.

I try to buy local, and American made, when possible.

We should explore alternate energy, but at the same time we should increase oil production in the US

I guess if this is leftist, or liberal, or Democrat....then that is what I am. But those are my political views.

How do you define those terms (and....I know "liberal" isn't really used correctly, but it has come to mean several things).

• Like Like x 1
  2. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A “Faith and Flag” conservative being driven to “Stressed Sideliner” by 40 years of Republican mismanagement and broken promises.

4. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not stressed so that probably makes me an ambivalent right or just an ambivalent sideliner. I find Peter's words about being exiles to be comforting.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL. I'm livin' rent free in Honest Jon's haid.

6. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My only gripe with your politics is on Covid and vaxes. Your actions on those issues align with the leftists. Your reasons may be different, but you want to strip individual liberty in the name of corporate liberty.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't view the vaccination issue as political, although politicians have used them as political pawns.

I don't advocate stripping any rights. If a business wants me to wear a mask then I'll probably go elsewhere. But they should have that right.

Same with vaccines. The government should stay out of it and the market will take care of itself.

Right now businesses have the right to require vaccines (whether flu vaccines or COVID vaccines). This is not a change. I prefer to leave that up to the business. If they require what people do not want then they will change or go out of business.

But one's view on vaccines does not define ones politics. I'd say that should be discussed as a separate issue (as plenty of Democrats avoid the shot while plenty of Republicans take 'em).

8. BasketFinch

BasketFinch Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Given your open admission of your political pov, you might consider those who accuse you of being a Democrat or Liberal don't actually know what constitutes a Democrat or Liberal platform.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    One problem on this board is sometimes members feel at liberty to misrepresent people who disagree with them. It's almost as if they leave their faith at the door.

This is often the case with politics.

But they probably are clueless as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem I see is that radical individualists (something never, ever endorsed in scripture and even frowned on [see Judges]) label anyone who doesn't advocate for their individualism as a liberal. All the other issues are meaningless. But, if you step on their radical individualism they whine and call you a liberal. I see it as a sign of insecurity on their part.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. BasketFinch

BasketFinch Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus was a radical.

That's why the Sanhedrin wanted him executed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're new. You will sing a different song shortly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed, he was openly against the conservatives in Israel and was considered a liberal by them. He rejected individualism, calling people to repent.
    You realize the Sanhedrin was full of conservatives... don't you?

14. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your conduct, long ago, established you to me as an adversary. I have many more adversaries here than I have allies. As a matter of fact, most of my allies no longer participate on this forum.

Personally, I don't care what you call yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  15. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you aware that we are all brothers and sisters who will spend eternity together?
    If you are a brother in Christ, you are an ally, even if I whole heatedly disagree with you here on earth.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its not so much that the States/commonwealths sold out -Rather the Feds passed blackmail laws. Remember back when Congress passed the federal 55 mph speed limit? Well, actually there was no federal speed limit! The Feds said if a State/commonwealth does not lower its speed limit - they would loose its highway funds.
    Some States looked for loopholes: Arizona, Idaho, Montana and Nevada replaced traditional speeding fines with $5-15 energy wasting fines as long as drivers did not exceed the speed limit in effect before the 55 mph "federal requirement!"
    The Feds have dont that with many issues - raising the age of buying cancer sticke from 18-21. Of course Congress would never call that blackmail.

Its time that Congress reads the 10th amendment

#16 Salty, Jun 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to make your own adversaries.

I call myself a Christian. I simply don't vote. This thread is a demonstration of why.

People use politics to decide, even on apolitical issues.

You consider me an adversary because I don't vote. But what is that to you???

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is true, but at the same time States became dependent on federal dollars, always looking for that hand out until they came to rely on that cash.

19. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is political. Dems made it political because Trump and warp speed. As soon as Joe went in, Dems viewed the vax as power. The Fed govt dangled a carrot and threatened a stick to businesses to get "voluntary" compliance.
    We need to return to a Pre 1862 govt. The Fed govt needs to be weak and the States strong.

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are an adversary irregardless of politics. I find you the opposite of brotherly.