Determining anothers salvation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mont974x4, Nov 22, 2012.

1. preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

With only a few exceptions, for persons I have known personally and closely, I just believe I don't have the spiritual discernment necessary to openly question another's salvation.

2. saturneptune New Member

That is a very healthy mindset. Some on here have invented a Holy Spirit detector they can point at anyone to see if He is residing there.

3. tomana Member

It will be interesting to see who is at the Lord's right hand, when all is said and done.

4. Joined:
    Aug 26, 2012
    Faith:
    Baptist
    We can at least be sure of the salvation of some...

We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers, remembering without ceasing your work of faith, labor of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ in the sight of our God and Father, knowing, beloved brethren, your election by God. For our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit and in much assurance, as you know what kind of men we were among you for your sake. And you became followers of us and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Spirit, so that you became examples to all in Macedonia and Achaia who believe. For from you the word of the Lord has sounded forth, not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but also in every place. Your faith toward God has gone out, so that we do not need to say anything. For they themselves declare concerning us what manner of entry we had to you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, and to wait for His Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead, even Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come.

and the condemnation of some...

Little children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that the Antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come, by which we know that it is the last hour. They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out that they might be made manifest, that none of them were of us. But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you know all things. I have not written to you because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and that no lie is of the truth.

5. pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    well, the question I should ask back to you, I guess, is, on what basis were you accepted as member of your church ?
    your confession of faith, or their decision to take you in regardless.

6. convicted1 Guest

:confused: What? You mean you didn't get the one I mailed to you? I'll need to contact the USPS, and send you the tracking #, I guess. :D :wavey:

BTW, you can find these in any WoF magazines....:)

7. Tom Butler New Member

I've got a question. Does the package beep? There's one on my front porch, beeping away. Did you send it to me by mistake?
    ?

8. OldRegular Well-Known Member

I believe that is Jesus Christ!

9. OldRegular Well-Known Member

You sure about that? Was Job an Israelite? Was Melchisedec an Israelite? Then of course there was Abraham, Noah, Seth, Adam, just a whole bunch of people prior to the calling of Israel and I expect many others after the calling of Israel!

10. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has been a couple years but if I remember correctly old PB has a rather limited view of the gospel in the OT. Never mind what Jesus said in Like 24

11. convicted1 Guest

Oh snap!!!

12. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we can be fooled and I have, more than once. This being so no one knows the heart of another. For one thing I believe it would be extremely judgmental to try and hold another to the test we give ourselves to see if we are in the Spirit.

To begin with not one of us have all those qualities at the same time though we may have had them a few at a time. Other wise you would have nothing but perfect Christians and we all know there is no such thing. The truth is we all fail at times and for me the failures is where I learned and grow.
    MB

13. mont974x4 New Member

True humility is simply having a proper estimation of ourselves. Or to out it another way, we see ourselves as God sees us. For the purposes of this discussion that means we have to acknowledge that we can, and will be, wrong at times. That does not mean we stop doing what we're supposed to be doing.

I am not talking about making a snap judgment based on a single comment or action. When Jesus said that people would know his disciples by the love they showed one another we must understand that it takes times. An ongoing attitude of love for one another will prevail in true disciples. That does not mean we don't have off-days. We can, and should, be able tell who our brothers and sisters in Christ are based on this.

False teaching is another test. People who teach another gospel are not our brothers. This is very important because it impacts who we call to be pastors and teachers. 2 John says we share in their evil deeds when we fail this test.

It is true that none of us are perfect. There is a vast difference in between a brother who has sinned and someone who is simply a sinner.

14. convicted1 Guest

I always try to look at myself, first and foremost. The one that looks back at me as I am shaving, gives me more trouble than I can handle.

Waiting for the random Brother saturneptune wisecrack...LOL