1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did America sin declaring independance from Britain?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Calminian, Oct 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already understand that "kill" in the Old Testament means "murder".
    To me, the context dictates it.

Accidental death is different.

But purposefully killing someone, even in war, is not loving our neighbor... and it is definitely not doing all that we can, as much as lies within us as believers, to be at peace with all men.
    Then a simple "yes" is what I will give you.:)

#101 Dave G, Oct 25, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  2. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, I have to point out something, is it against the law to kill servants of the state in our day-to-day lives? We will need to shed the blood of police and troops en masse to rebel against a nation.

3. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What if we are told to render something to Caesar that is not Caesar's according to law?

Should we break the law, that God tells us to follow, and give it to him, or as Christians should we follow the law and not give it to him?

4. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying wars to defend ourselves are wrong or am I misinterpreting you? I have an occupation I am now applying for that supports Department of Defense. So, this is a big issue to me.

5. NoQuieroUnQueso

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I refer you all to Acts Chapter 4, when the governing powers ordered Peter and John to not speak or teach in the name of Jesus. They responded with this:

19 But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye.

20 For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard.

It says the rulers were present, and Peter and John did not flee but continued to preach the gospel. Was this rebellion against authority? Clearly, by their own words, they thought it not right to disobey God by obeying the rulers of the land.

Also, look at chapter 5, after John and Peter continue to preach. The senate the ruling powers once again bring them to answer for disobeying them. This is their reply:

29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

So, we are not to obey the government if their commands go against the Word of God. And, if I'm not mistaken, evil kings were overthrown and replaced in the Bible. Though I'd have to check to be sure.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol. It says it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them. Note the words 'war' and 'overcome.' The OT prophecy uses the word 'prevail.'

But you're saying they offer no resistance to be overcome, that they immediately submit to the persecution. That's not a war.

Let's say you're in a pulpit somewhere, and there's a man going about defaming you to ruin your reputation. Do you at any time say that's not true? What steps would you take to counter the slander and libel? You realize that's self defense? Why not remain silent and let God do the fighting? Heck no! You'd move heaven and earth to defend yourself and your reputation.

Yet, when someone threatens violence against you or your neighbor, or your neighbor's wife and his children, and you have the power to resist them and to protect your neighbor and his wife and his children, you're saying it would be a sin to do so? That loving your neighbor as your self means standing idly by and letting them be victimized?

No thanks. Go love someone else. I don't want you anywhere around me.

7. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go where the Lord leads you, Steven.
    I'm a former sailor who served "Uncle Sam"...and while given the chance I would not do it again, I learned a lot.

What I'm saying is that people who kill other people, wholesale, are sinning against God.

8. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right now, Satan is the "prince of this world" as is evidenced by the prevalence of sin.

9. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God uses Satan to inflict his four judgements. War, famine, sickness, and pestilence. Jesus healed all who were oppressed of the devil. And;

“He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.” John 3:36 (KJV 1900)

10. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Thou shalt not KILL" is a KJV mistranslation. It SHOULD say, "You shall not MURDER."

Proof ? In the very next chapter of Exodus, God prescribes the DEATH PENALTY for committing certain sins/crimes.

11. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Simple FACT IS: GOD IS OVER ALL NATIONS, & HAS CALLED THEM INTO EXISTENCE & SETR THEIR BOUNDARIES.

History is full of plain evidence of this. And it often took war & rebellion to establish some nations & set their boundaries. So, America's rebellion against Britain was caused by GOD not man.

12. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this is an example;

“For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled.” Revelation 17:17 (KJV 1900)

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is one of the most egregious charicatures of the Revolution I've seen. Christians aren't supposed to lie, Dave.

Victim: Dave! Rogues have stormed my house and are beating my children and stealing their food! Help me!​

Dave: Praise God, brother! Just don't sin by defending them! Pray! That's how you resist this evil!

Victim: WORDS! You suggest WORDS!

Dave: If you're holy enough, your prayers will be answered and He will send his Spirit to defend your children. Have faith! Love ya, Bro!​

14. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    How many "christians" killed "Christians" over money and territory in WWI, WWII, the AM Revolution, the AM Civil war, and Palestinian Christians by supporting Israel, or dropping bombs?

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So are you saying that every allied solider in WW II is guilty of murder since they killed a German or Japanese GI ?

16. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When someone gives a person a gun, points at them and says, "go kill that guy because your government says they are your enemy", that is not the definition of "love thy neighbor as thyself".

So, "yes", Salty.
    As a former sailor, I would be committing a sin if I point a gun at someone and pulled the trigger.
    David committed a sin when he had Uriah setup to die on the front lines.

It's called, "murder".
    If you don't mind my asking, how does this seem so hard to grasp?

17. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about retail, then?

18. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What reason is there to think Jesus was ever anywhere in body on this earth except Judah, Egypt, and Galilee? "All" may all mean where he was, but he didn't heal ALL who were oppressed of the devil (was Tiberius?).

19. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all. I support Department of Defense directly and would have joined the military if not barred by disability.

I was genuinely interested to know where your scripture came from, since it may affect my position. The saints I take it fight for their sovereign, and we are defeated by the Man of Lawlessness. We do fight a one way war with the Man of Lawlessness when Jesus returns, and we capture that antichrist and cast him into hell. That is what I thought that meant. It could also be that we rebel as the holy people or as occupied nations, since Calminian helped me understand occupations are different, just look at the Book of Judges.

I just don't see a nation dividing itself into civil war as justified in scripture. That is rebellion and requires killing troops and police an masse.

20. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It actually is, if the other guys are Nazis committing mass murder, and if your waring against them will save lives. In fact, if you refuse to fight for the innocent, you're actually supporting the wicked, and being extremely unloving. Extreme pacifism is hateful.

Jesus never hinted that soldiers were to leave the military. He never hinted that wars were evil and never just. And Jesus will one day wage war himself. Will you now call him unloving, unneighborly?

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.