1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did America sin declaring independance from Britain?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Calminian, Oct 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    FYI, I have no problem with a person taking the Tory position in 2019. Just as long as they understand the Continental position. Being a Tory just means they line up with the Royalists of the English Civil War and the Jacobites of the Glorious Revolution. Also, from what I understand, even though the colonies were split into thirds (1/3 Continental, 1/3 Tory, 1/3 Neutral). Baptists were overwhelmingly Continental.

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There seems to be a presumption that the English monarch-- 'his government,' that is-- was a legitimate ruler and therefore it was a sin to rebel against him. How is that so, considering that the long line of kings were Anglo-Saxon and Norman French descended from people that took Britain from the Celts? Why did "we" and George III not actually owe divine allegiance to the Celts in Ireland, Wales, Brittany, and the Scottish Highlands? And, of course, the 1st century believers owed obedience to the Roman government, as Paul emphasized, does that show that any established government is of God? If a revolution is successful, is it of God? Or is NO revolution against an established government of God, but it is if it launches a new government?

What is the alternative, except that the instructions to obey the governments under Rome, were a "one time deal" that does not apply to other settings?

ed. And, of course, the question of whether European countries did not 'sin' against different nations in the Americas by just "claiming" the lands.....

#122 Alcott, Oct 26, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because in war - it is not (normally ) murder - some exceptions would be a person attempting to surrender, ect.

When there is an enemy soldier who may shoot and kill me - than by George I will shoot him. (Of course some will say to injur him in such
    a way, that it would take up to 4 men to carry him back to an aid station. But I would have no problem shooting someone who just might
    shoot at me - and that is NOT murder.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In reading the OP, a good case can be made for the rebellion against Britain being against scripture. In fact, there were many people in the colonies who felt the rebels were wrong and disobeying God and His word.
    We know that God ordained the victory to the rebels and directed his perfect universal plan in this war. But, it is hard to argue the war was an honorable thing for Christians to participate in.

5. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I would argue from Genesis 10-11. I believe God's plan for nations was local government, being He divided the descendants of Noah by languages and lands (Genesis 10). It's also clear God busted up the original central empire at Babel (Genesis 11). I think Romans 13 should be read in the context of Genesis 10-11. Men have been trying to globalize ever since Babel. God has not let it happen, and will not until the last days when He allows it for a time, then crushes in once again.

6. NoQuieroUnQueso

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also keep in mind that the colonies didn't just decide one day to go to war. The colonies repeatedly tried to negotiate and appeal to King George before they even thought about Declaring Independence. The Olive Branch Petition was a last attempt at avoiding war with Britain. In it, the colonists pledged loyalty to the crown and explain their frustrations with recent British government decisions. It was a last attempt of many at avoiding war and establishing peace. How did King George respond? Invasion of British troops who occupied colonists' homes, terrorized families, and committed murder. He never even read the Olive Branch Petition. And, in every battle moving forward, the British were always the ones to fire first. And the Lord certainly condones self-defense.

Furthermore, if every authority is ordained by God, then that includes the authority of the President of the United States and our Constitutional Government. Had this not been so, America would have lost the Revolution.

Again, I refer you to Acts 4 and 5, where John and Peter openly defy the orders of the government to continue preaching the gospel. Their reasoning? It is not good for people to obey men rather than God.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    We as Christ followers are citizens in the Kingdom of God. John and Peter could not disobey their King despite the kindoms of men that demanded their allegiance.
    We are exiles in a foreign land. We do not fight against flesh and blood. We have nothing to do with the squabbles of unregenerate men and their nations.
    We follow Christ and accept the consequences of godless rulers where we are exiles. We put down the sword and cry out, "Come Lord Jesus." The voices of the martyrs cry out for our King to avenge. Vengeance is not ours. Our King will repay.

8. NoQuieroUnQueso

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would ask you to look into Luke Chapter 22, verse 35 and onward. Jesus instructs the disciples to sell their garments to buy swords. Now they would not use them at this time, but I do believe in traveling from country to country and spreading the gospel, that they would need to defend themselves.

I also quote Nehemiah 4:14 at this time - And I looked, and rose up, and said unto the nobles, and to the rulers, and to the rest of the people, Be not ye afraid of them: remember the Lord, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses.

9. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    That passage in Luke 22 is before the establishment of the new covenant and the Kingdom of God. When Peter attempted to fight, Jesus told him to put the sword away.
    Look to Matthew 5 for the guidance we receive on how to react to those who hate us as Christians.
    As exiles, we pray for the peace of the city in which we reside. We wait for our King to return and avenge those who have been martyed by the rebels and their kingdoms of men.

10. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe we are having two separate discussions here, The first is the Continental v Tory one, The second is an older one sometimes labeled sword-bearer v staff bearer. Staff bearers would fit into the third of American colonials who were neutral in the conflict.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point

12. NoQuieroUnQueso

Faith:
    Baptist
    So if someone invades your home and threatens your children, what would you do? That's very much what happened with the British invasion of American homes.

And by any chance if you decide to rather let your kids die, and you all survive the ordeal, what are your kids going to grow up with? Knowing that their parents would have let them die at the hands of a criminal.

#132 NoQuieroUnQueso, Oct 27, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  13. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many who take the Loyalist position in 2019, do so seemingly to my mind not realizing it didn't start with the Tea Party, Lexington and Concord, or Bunker Hill. As I've pointed out earlier the dispute arose in the aftermath of the French and Indian War aka the Seven Years War in the 1760s. This can be seen in the Hutchinson Letters. Regretfully, due to the conditions of transatlantic transport, George III issued his Proclamation of Rebellion before the the Olive Branch Petition worked way up the Colonial Office bureaucracy.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ultimate question is: Do you trust in a Supreme God who is well aware of your situation or do you take matters into your own hand?
    Traditionally, Christians leave the city that has no peace and move on, praying for the peace of the new city in which they live.
    Worldly possessions are let go of and following God is most important. Fighting to save our mortal selves is less important than speaking the good news in love, under persecution.

15. NoQuieroUnQueso

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Lord gives us strength to protect ourselves with. If you see a child or someone else in danger, it is your duty to come to their aid. If a child is under attack, you are to protect them as you would Christ himself.

Back in Moses' time, the Lord even had laws for dealing with attackers who broke into your home. Exodus 22:2 . And the Lord of the Old Covenant is the same as the New Covenant. He was, is, and is to come. The only difference between the Old and New Covenant are the means of salvation. The new covenant insures salvation through Jesus Christ, it has nothing to do with the laws concerning justice. If a child is in danger, we are to do onto them as we would want done onto us and rescue them.

16. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two things.
    One, yes we stand to protect our families.
    Two, we are not under the Mosaic Law and the U.S. is not God's chosen nation. We are living as exiles in a foreign land. It is not for us to protect our property or our possessions. It is for us to seek the peace of the city and pray to that end.
    Matthew 5 should be our guide.

Matthew 5:2-48 And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying: “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy. “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sonsof God. “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you. “You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people’s feet. “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so thatthey may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brotherwill be liable to judgment; whoever insultshis brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hellof fire. So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. Come to terms quickly with your accuser while you are going with him to court, lest your accuser hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you be put in prison. Truly, I say to you, you will never get out until you have paid the last penny. “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell. “It was also said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’ But I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of sexual immorality, makes her commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery. “Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn.’ But I say to you, Do not take an oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. And do not take an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil. “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic,let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you. “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers,what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

17. NoQuieroUnQueso

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, we must stand to protect our families. But not only that, we must stand to defend those who cannot defend themselves. It isn't about protecting our own well-being, but the well-being of the weak and poor. In fact, if it was about protecting ourselves, then we wouldn't rush to the aid of a fallen brother for we'd be risking our own lives in doing so. But if a neighbor is in danger, if their lives are being threatened, then we must put down our own self to protect them.

John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

For how can we spread the gospel to those who have been oppressed and murdered? How can we teach about Jesus if everyone's been destroyed?

This was what the Revolutionary War was about. The British invaded, threatened families, and the people rose to protect not themselves, but their loved ones. So that their families could grow to serve the Lord and do His will.

And yes, if someone slaps you then you are to turn the other cheek. That's a matter of personal insult and we are to let it go. But if someone comes up and slaps your child, or slaps a stranger in a wheelchair, that's a very different story. I'll be the first to put my personal safety aside and stand to protect someone in danger, and spread the gospel immediately after.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Particular, so far as I can see the sword bearers (both Continental and Loyalist) have respected your POV. Please do the same for ours. Thinks of is as good men who love the Lord and His Word, who want to obey Him as best they can, disagree on how to do so.

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Particular, What does Divorce have to do with bearing Arms?????
    (no, I didnt read your post - way too long.)

I BELEIVE IN THE RIGHT TO ARM BEARS!

#139 Salty, Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  20. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me expand on my point. I do not expect you to agree with me, just respect my position.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.