1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Did Christ Atone for ALL humans?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Robert William, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Nothing could be further from the truth.

818 "However, one cannot charge with the sin of the separation those who at present are born into these communities [that resulted from such separation] and in them are brought up in the faith of Christ, and the Catholic Church accepts them with respect and affection as brothers . . . . All who have been justified by faith in Baptism are incorporated into Christ; they therefore have a right to be called Christians, and with good reason are accepted as brothers in the Lord by the children of the Catholic Church."

819 "Furthermore, many elements of sanctification and of truth" are found outside the visible confines of the Catholic Church: "the written Word of God; the life of grace; faith, hope, and charity, with the other interior gifts of the Holy Spirit, as well as visible elements."Christ's Spirit uses these Churches and ecclesial communities as means of salvation, whose power derives from the fullness of grace and truth that Christ has entrusted to the Catholic Church. All these blessings come from Christ and lead to him, and are in themselves calls to "Catholic unity."

But, let's not turn this into another thread about baptismal regeneration or Catholicism.

#21 Walter, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2015
  2. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

People go to hell because they are NOT united to Christ and therefore don't have His perfect righteousness imputed to them, and thus their sins remain unforgiven. Rather, they remain dead in sins and separated from God. As the Scipture states: "He who has the Son has life, and he who does not have the Son does not have life". (1 John 5:12)

One has to actually be IN CHRIST to have his sins forgiven (Ephesians 1:7) and to have the righteousness of Christ (2 Cor 5:21). There is "no condemnation" for those who are IN CHRIST (Romans 8:1). However, OUTSIDE of Christ (or APART from Christ) we're ALL condemned (John 3:18, Romans 5:18) God's wrath abides upon us (John 3:36) and we're indeed by nature children of wrath (Ephesians 2:3). We are saved from wrath through HIM when we are actually justified by His blood (Romans 5:9) and we're justified by faith (Romans 5:1).

What this all means is that the Atonement, though objectively efficacious in God's righteous eyes, must be in some way provisional for sinful people. In other words, it must be subjectively appropiated/applied in order for ANYONE to benefit, and this includes "the elect" (however they are defined). Otherwise the commands for faith/repentance would be superfluous (if not meaningless), as "the elect" (at least) would already be saved (as one notorious poster here ceaselessly advocates) from birth apart from faith and repentance.

But Scripture repeatedly states that faith is a necessary condition for salvation--one is not saved unless he is united to the Saviour by grace through faith (EPH 2:8-9. etc). Likewise, the propitiatory sacrifice, though once offered objectively for our salvation and is eternally efficacious (as it is pleasing to God), must also be appropriated by faith:

"...being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is IN CHRIST JESUS, whom God set forth as a PROPITIATION by HIS BLOOD THROUGH FAITH... Romans 3:24-25.

Keeping all of this in mind, we see that the force of Owen's supposed trilemma evaporates. Although Christ made objective Atonement for our sins 2000 years ago on the Cross, all of us subjectively experience the just punishment for our sins--SPIRITUAL DEATH (Rom 6:23; Eph 2:1) because of our SEPARATION FROM GOD (IS 59:2)--until we are united to Christ through faith. (And, yes, this includes Calvinists :smilewinkgrin: ). HELL, sadly, is the extension of this separation from God and resulting spiritual death into eternity for those who have finally remained impenitent, which state will be confirmed at God's FINAL JUDGMENT.

(Now comes the part where I'm accused of being a 'Pelagian' or 'Semi-Pelagian', and that I believe in "man-centered salvation" and hold to the "free will idol", or that I just don't understand the fine print...er... the finer points of the "doctrines of [monergistic] grace" :thumbs: )

#22 Doubting Thomas, Mar 5, 2015
  3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

All I see in this post is a bunch if potentiality and not surety. Christ never came to potentially save anyone, but to save His people from their sins(Matt. 1:21). In John 10, Jesus stated He was the good Shepherd who would give His life for the sheep(vs. 11). Jesus said that all the Father gave Him will come to Him, and him who comes, He would not cast aside(John 6:37). Then in John 17, who did Jesus pray for? The world or those the Father gave Him, in which He atoned for their sins?

--I ask in regard to them; not in regard to the world do I ask, but in regard to those whom Thou hast given to me, because Thine they are...(vs. 9)

Now, you may think He is praying for those that were with Him @ that time, but not so...

--And not in regard to these alone do I ask, but also in regard to those who shall be believing, through their word, in me[/u]; that they all may be one, as Thou Father [art] in me, and I in Thee; that they also in us may be one, that the world may believe that Thou didst send me.(vv. 20,21)

Christ will save(not try to save) His people from their sins...

4. Doubting Thomas

Yes, Christ will save those who repent and believe. None of what you wrote here negates this nor anything else I wrote above. Those who are of faith are the true people of God (Romans 4:16), but they are children of wrath (like everyone else) until they are united to Christ.

Nowhere in Scripture does it say that God intends to save ANYONE apart from faith and repentance. If you believe that, then you might as well throw out most of the Bible.

#24 Doubting Thomas, Mar 5, 2015
  5. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not faith alone, if that were true, salvation would be a self righteous act of man or salvation by works, Grace comes first, the big question is, who get's that Grace and what does it do to the human??

6. Doubting Thomas

It's NOT? Good Grief! So much for one of the "Five Solas" of the Reformation. :eek:

Nonsense--faith is always depicted as the opposite of meritorious works in Scriptures, especially in PAUL'S writings (see Romans 3 and 4 for starters).

Indeed it does.

I agree. Those are the TWO "big questions", actually. :cool:

(In fact, rumor has it there's an entire subsection of the Baptistboard which seemingly deals with these questions continuously ^^^^ :smilewinkgrin: )

7. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thomas, faith is believing, a verb, an action, and believing is an act by the will of man, he does it, he believes, he choose to embrace the gospel, after he has been by Grace regenerated. Faith alone is not biblical, if it was, salvation could be obtained by works.

It's not faith alone, it's grace through faith.

Many spineless ignorant preachers who are pelagian preach that salvation is by faith alone, because they believe man can make a free will choice without a miracle first being done from above.

#27 Robert William, Mar 5, 2015
  8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

You're accusing me of saying that which I didn't. Nowhere have I said one is saved absent faith and repentance. Now that you laid this out, both faith and repentance are gifts of God. Seeing that the gifts and callings of God are w/o repentance(iow, not able to turn them away), how can everyone possibly be saved? For not everyone has faith(2 Thess. 3:2)...

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Uhhhh...faith is not a work. We are saved by grace through faith. W/O faith, there's no salvation.

10. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thomas, yes, a person is saved by grace through faith in the gospel, and there is no salvation without the gospel, the problem is that nobody is interested in the gospel because they serve self and are enemies and haters of God, that's why God by grace first needs to change that humans nature.

Man in his natural state

2) Man is totally depraved (Gen. 6:5, Ps. 14:2-3, Rom. 3:10-18, etc.) and is enslaved in sin (Rom. 6:16-22), even "dead in trespasses and sins" (Eph. 2:1, Col. 2:13)
    3) Man is yet responsible for his sin (Rom. 3:23, etc.)
    In Colossians 1:13, "He rescued us from the domain of darkness, transferred us to the kingdom of His dear Son." Colossians 2:13, "When you were dead in your transgressions, uncircumcision of your flesh He made you alive." He creates. He resurrects and He brings into birth. Power grace, irresistible to which no one makes a contribution. This is solely the work of God.
    Whenever you talk about the doctrines of salvation, the doctrines of grace, you have to start with the doctrine of total depravity because everything is essentially predicated on that. The Bible describes those who are in their natural state. The Bible describes all of us in our humanness apart from God as living in sin and headed for eternal judgment. And it uses many descriptives to identify what it is to be in that natural human state. Just summing them up a little, the natural man is foolish, disobedient, deceived, rebellious, lawless, enslaved to lust and desire, living in evil and envy, hateful toward others and toward God, ignorant, empty, desperately wicked, blind, deaf, hard hearted, unrighteous, full of poison, cursing bitterness, blood shed, destruction, misery, turmoil, having no fear of God or desire to seek Him or know Him. Every human is by nature idolatrous, blasphemous, iniquitous, callous, sensual, impure, greedy, a son of Satan and a child of wrath. Nice group.
    Jer 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?
    Rom 8:5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.
    Rom 8:6 For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.
    Rom 8:7 For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot.
    Rom 8:8 Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

The Bible says that the work of God in our lives is not only a new creation but it is a resurrection, it is a resurrection from the dead. In John 5:25, "Truly, truly say to you, an hour is coming and now is when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live." Talking about responding to the gospel, the dead will all of a sudden begin to hear and they will live, resurrection. Ephesians 2:1 says, "And you who were dead in trespasses and sin has He made alive." Resurrection.
    Eph 2:1 And you were dead in the trespasses and sins
    Eph 2:2 in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience--
    Eph 2:3 among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.
    Eph 2:4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us,
    Eph 2:5 even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ--by grace you have been saved—
    Who is the regenerator?
    Jas 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.
    Jas 1:18 Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.
    Tit 3:3 For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another.
    Tit 3:4 But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared,
    Tit 3:5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,
    Tit 3:6 whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior,
    Tit 3:7 so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

3. Man, by his fall into a state of sin, hath wholly lost all ability of will to any spiritual good accompanying salvation; so as a natural man, being altogether averse from that good, and dead in sin, is not able by his own strength to convert himself, or to prepare himself thereunto.
    ( Romans 5:6; Romans 8:7; Ephesians 2:1, 5; Titus 3:3-5; John 6:44 )
    4. When God converts a sinner, and translates him into the state of grace, he freeth him from his natural bondage under sin, and by his grace alone enables him freely to will and to do that which is spiritually good; yet so as that by reason of his remaining corruptions, he doth not perfectly, nor only will, that which is good, but doth also will that which is evil.
    ( Colossians 1:13; John 8:36; Philippians 2:13; Romans 7:15, 18, 19, 21, 23 )
    5. This will of man is made perfectly and immutably free to good alone in the state of glory only.
    ( Ephesians 4:13 )

11. Doubting Thomas

Wrong on so many levels. That last sentence doesn't even make any sense, and indeed (again) it is completely the opposite of Paul's argument in Romans.

Properly understood, these two do not conflict.

Interesting observation, and it may be true in some cases, but I doubt 'pelagian' (which seems to be horribly misused by some here) would be the best adjective for all of these folks you describe.

Those who suppose one can first turn to God and initiate their own salvation apart from God's prevenient grace are more accurately labeled "SEMI-Pelagian", and this idea of course was rightfully rejected by the Western Church at the Synod of Orange in AD 529. "Pelagianism", which was rejected over century earlier, was both a denial of original sin and the idea that folks can somehow earn their salvation by their deeds (*though it is doubtful based on his own writings that Pelagius himself would actually affirm this second proposition).

12. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Howdy convicted. :wavey:

No matter how you slice it, grace has to come first, otherwise there would be no faith in the gospel from a dead man.

13. Doubting Thomas

That wasn't my intent. If I did so, I apologize.

Good! :thumbs:

I agree. They're gifts in the sense that the natural man would unable to repent or believe apart from the supernatural enabling grace of God, yet these are still conditions for receiving salvation (ie we're SAVED THROUGH FAITH). We're the agents who actually repent and believe, ie God neither 'repents' or 'believes' for us (I suppose you would concur?) although he graciously enables us to do both.

14. Doubting Thomas

I agree 100%--the two big questions (as you mentioned above) is: "who gets the grace?" and "what does it do to the human?"

15. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Just wanted to show you what I truly meant. No biggie...

Alleluia, an accord...:thumbsup:

God changes man's will by regenerating them; He regenerates via a new heart. This new heart, new will brings forth faith and repentance. Not everyone will God regenerate, however. Some are left(rightfully) to their own devices...

16. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These scriptures should answer those questions.

Eph 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places,
    Eph 1:4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love
    Eph 1:5 he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will,
    Eph 1:6 to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved.
    Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace,
    Eph 1:8 which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight
    Eph 1:9 making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ
    Eph 1:10 as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.
    Eph 1:11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will,

17. Doubting Thomas

Yeah, really--a rare thing on message boards nowadays it would seem. :godisgood:

And here's where I think the main disagreement lies--whether God's necessary prevenient grace is or is not the same thing as "regeneration" per se. I would suggest that it is not the same (and I'm sure we could have long discussion about this on the "Calvinism/Arminianism" board), but I suspect that here we'll agree to disagree.

My purpose in contributing to this particular thread was merely to point out that there is a distinction between the objective Atonement and the subjective application/appropriate of the same--and this is a distinction that it seems that most Calvinists and Arminians would agree truly exists. Since there is such a distinction set forth in Scripture, then the implication is that the Atonement doesn't automatically (apart from faith and repentance) save anyone, but must be received by the sinner through faith in Christ. If this is acknowledged, then Owen's "trilemma" does not rule out that Christ's sacrifice was objectively made for the sins of all men provisionally, as Calvinists and Arminians would assert that no one is actually saved from their sins until they are IN CHRIST.

(Now of course, folks can then proceed to look at the relevant passages regarding the extent of the atonement, and debate the ordo salutis and whether or not grace is resistible, but there's a whole subforum for that already, and I for one need to go spend some time with the youngins)

18. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

If somebody characterized Calvinists as such, I bet you'd be offended.

19. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would I be offended when I know that scripture teaches that?

I am not a Calvinist or a rebelist, but if you speak truth that lines up with scripture I will embrace it. :)

20. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Howdy Thomas, First of all, YHWH is under no obligation to save anybody, neither does anybody deserve the love of God.

In the contex of salvation grace is unmerited favor, and the ones who He favors will inherit the Kingdom, and the ones He doesn't favor will be thrown into the Lake of Fire. Simple :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.