1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Christ Die Only for the Elect

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I think you are confusing the birth of Judah's sons, Perez and Zerah. Esau was unquestionably the first born.

2. Jonah

Jonah New Member

AHHH not again!!

:BangHead: Yep I am a victim of cross-linked brain again
    Genesis 38:28

3. Salamander

Salamander New Member

God "would" that is willed that every man should be saved, it is man's will that dictates he would not get saved for his choosing his own will vs God's will.

God's moral will is to save all men. God's decreed will is that ll men would get saved but men are created in the image of God and have a will that either submits to the will of God or rebels against it. Otherwise there could be no obedience, it all would be robotics.

To assume God has a moral will that refutes sin and yet allows its due course is pitting God against himself to eradicate sin. To say that God decreed that only the chosen will be saved goes against His will to allow obedience to the Gospel to have due course in any man's life. saying his will is decreed for only a few to be saved is tyranny to all those who would otherwise desire to be saved.

I have not found one person who could ever tell me that anything was wrong with being saved, that institutes a 100% -0 that all men do earnestly desire to be saved, it's just they won't all obey the Gospel.

Key in on that word "won't", that means "will not".

If men "will" not be saved it is according to that man's will, not God's willing that all men be saved.

4. Rangerus

Rangerus New Member

Here is part of sermon from CH Spurgeon on Particular Redemption:

5. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

Great find and a good sermon. Here's the entire sermon: http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0181.htm

6. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe there is such a thing as particular election to Salvation. The Word says Christ is the propitation for the sins of the whole world.
    1Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
    Either the whole world is elect or election doesn't occur until after the man believes. I've never worried about whether or not I'm elected.

I believe men must at least passively, listen to the gospel being preached. I also believe all men can hear if they will but listen. Faith is a gift but it can only come through listening to the word being preaced. I believe the Holy Spirit works on those who listen to convince them of Christ and to convict them of there sins. Conviction can be unbearable, at least it was for me. It took me to my knees in submission to the righteousness of God.

Men do have a choice and that choice is to stop the process through rebellion. It is a choice of whether to rebel or not. I don't believe men have a Choice of Christ or not because Salvation is all of God. Although rebellion from something you have been convinced of, leaves the man in conviction. He will never have relief from that conviction unless he submits.

I believe that rebellion is what makes men hate Christianity so much. Hate is the only thing that can numb the pain of there conviction even though the conviction will be with them all the way to hell. So they must hate Christ all the way to hell.

The thing that amazes me is that even just the name of Jesus Christ is so powerful. Just His name has the power of conviction.
    MB

7. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

So when the Bible says "God chose you to salvation" you think it is inaccurate?

So when the Bible says that "God chose you from the beginning," you think man believed from the beginning? Or you think it is inaccurate?

What does this mean?

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Spurgeon's concluding paragraph:

"Leaving controversy, however, I will now answer a question. Tell me, then, sir, whom did Christ die for? Will you answer me a question or two, and I will tell you whether He died for you. Do you want a Saviour? Do you feel that you need a Saviour? Are you this morning conscious of sin? Has the Holy Spirit taught you that you are lost? Then Christ died for you and you will be saved. . . . Your only question is, "Did Christ die for me?" And the only answer we can give is—"This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ came into the world to save sinners." Can you write your name down among the sinners—not among the complimentary sinners, but among those that feel it, bemoan it, lament it, seek mercy on account of it? Are you a sinner? That felt, that known, that professed, you are now invited to believe that Jesus Christ died for you, because you are a sinner; and you are bidden to cast yourself upon this great immovable rock, and find eternal security in the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen."

9. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

Yes! And you are making what point again?

10. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

Haven't you read what condition the natural man is outside of the spiritual. The natural man doesn't care about GOD. In fact he has no fear of GOD in him. Now let's see, you have and old Chevrolet,in a field, all rusty, no tires, No battery, no Gas and ect. Do you say to that old car, 'Now if you will just get up, come to me then you are in a fit condition to run.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...yet God has put in the "natural man" the desire to be immortal (Ecc. 3:11), has written His law in their hearts (Rom. 2:15) and has presented the Truth to them (Rom. 1). Now, if God has equipped men with everything they need, He has not left anyone to themselves, but has taken the initiative in the lives of all men. He has essentally told man to "get up, come to me..." THIS is when some choose to obey, and others don't (Rom 1 again). Some accept the Truth, others oppress the Truth...but they both had to make a decison with the Truth which is not what your theology teaches.

#71 webdog, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2009
  12. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible is always right. It's mans perception of what it says that's incorrect. The Bible doesn't say we are elected or chosen particularly.
    The Bible doesn't say that I was chosen from the beginning It says I was chosen "In Him" from the beginning. If I had been from the beginning I wouldn't have been born in sin.

Eph 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

The underlined above shows what this choosing is for. I do not see where it says we were chosen from the beginning to Salvation. The things listed tell us what we are chosen for and can only happen as a result of being forgiven and saved.
    It means that just the mention of the name Jesus Christ convicts the lost.
    MB

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No, but I don't stop there, I read how "through..."

14. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

That's exactly what it say: God chose from the beginning for salvation.

2 thess 2:13 says God chose you from the beginning for salvation.

Not at all. The reason you were chosen is because you would be in sin. You are creating contradictions in the Bible.

What do you think salvation is? It is being holy and blameless before him. ("In love" actually goes with the next verse.)

No, that doesn't even make any sense.

15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

According to the text, salvation comes through the setting apart of the Spirit and belief in the truth. Not the choosing.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No, you were chosen FOR salvation THROUGH sanctification of the Spirit AND belief in the Truth. This is how you were chosen for salvation.

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

That's not what the text says. In the text, sanctification/belief modifies salvation, not chosen.

You were chosen from the beginning for salvation. That's what it says. Sanctification/belief are the means of salvation, not the basis of choosing. Again, that's simply what the text says.

18. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You forgot the "IN HIM"

19. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

No, it's not in the verse I was citing.

"In him" is not in that verse. Please be more careful with Scripture. The sanctification there is the setting apart of the Spirit (that's what the word means). In this context it is not the after salvation spiritual growth.

You didn't intend to, I am sure. But you have no options. You said if you have been chosen from the beginning you wouldn't have been born in sin. Yet the Bible says you were chosen from the beginning and were born in sin. Therefore you have created a contradiction.

Um, no. It certainly leads to that. But no one who is chosen are holy and blameless until death unless you consider who we are in him by virtue of salvation and union with Christ. And once you concede that, you have admitted that I am correct.

The Bible doesn't teach that the the mere speaking of a series of letters such as "JESUS" or "CHRIST" have any convicting power. It is what that name stands for and the truth behind it that convicts.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

But we must always thank God for you, brothers loved by the Lord, because from the beginning [f] God has chosen (O) you for salvation through sanctification (P) by the Spirit and through belief in the truth.

The means of being chosen for salvation are sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the Truth. It doesn't just say you were chosen from the beginning for salvation. You cannot separate the means of salvation from the purpose of what you were chosen for. The basis of choosing is connected via the work of the Holy Spirit and faith (belief in the Truth) in "God's Elect One".