1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Christ Die Only for the Elect

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Jan 26, 2009.

1. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said;
    MB

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

But again, that's not what the text says. Salvation is by setting apart and belief. Just read the verse man.

That's exactly what it says. Get it out and read it.

I agree. But that's not the topic here. The choice is not of a means, but of people.

Um, no. The basis of choosing is God's grace. Never in the Bible is election said to be the result of belief. It simply isn't there.

Of course we have been through this multiple times before and I don't suppose you are any more willing to listen to Scripture now than you were previously. But again, I simply go back to the text of Scripture. God didn't choose a means. He chose "us."

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Had to throw in the classic Larry ad hom at the and there, huh? I have read it, and I "listen to Scripture"...I just don't approach it with your presupposition. I know what it says...you were chosen "for"..."through". If I have been chosen to go to Florida by flying, I have been chosen to go there through the sky. The means of getting there is included in the entire choice.

4. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

There was no ad hominem and it's not about presuppositions. It is about what the text actually says. That's all my point is. Let the text speak for itself.

Can you imagine the kind of theology you could come up with if you skip words like this?

But God didn't choose a means. Again, read the sentence and see what the direct object of the verb "choose" is. It isn't a means. It is a person, or people.

Again, simply read the verse and see what it says. The means modify "salvation" not "choice."

5. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

And to which man are you making a plea to come to GOD? Is it the old dead natural man or is it to a man who has had a working of the spirit in him?
    Dead men can't, won't walk. Try my point out at the cementare. Call for one to come forward. I bet not one will.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If Christ called, they would hear. The dead analogy doesn't hold water, as we are also "dead" to sin...yet I sin. According to you, I should be a corpse to sin, unable to sin.

7. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The text says;
    2Th 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

The verse says we are chosen through sanctification. No Sanctification, no choosing. The Greek says we are chosen to Salvation in sanctification. Again no sanctification, no Choosing. The means are inescapable.
    MB

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gospel salvation. Not eternal salvation.
    Either Christ's blood washed away all sin and either Christ saved His people, or salvation is through additional means like sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth.
    Obviously, the people referred to were saved from lies and separated by the Spirit because it was God's plan for them.
    Their eternal salvation, however, rested on Christ and His finished work only.

9. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salvation is completely of God. We are chosen in and through our sanctification. This is the means for the choosing. If we are "IN HIM" Eph 1:4 we have been sanctified and chosen. The way 2nd Thess 2:13 reads to me is the same because the choosing is in the sanctification which when sanctified we are "IN HIM"
    MB

10. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

It seems to me that the question is: Who is sovereign in salvation, God or man?

If God is sovereign then Salvation from beginning to end is solely the work of God! As the writer of Hebrews [God] states:

Hebrews 12:1, 2
    1. Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
    2. Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

If man is sovereign then there is no God!

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Who has said God isn't sovereign? If God gives man free will to accept or reject Him doen't undermine His sovereignty one bit.

12. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

This is just wrong. Sorry. The Greek says: ὅτι εἵλατο ὑμᾶς ὁ θεὸς ἀπαρχὴν εἰς σωτηρίαν ἐν ἁγιασμῷ πνεύματος καὶ πίστει ἀληθείας.

Sanctification, in this context, is the setting apart of the Spirit to salvation. It is generally designated the effectual call. It is not post salvation spiritual growth.

But, in the verse, the setting apart/belief modifies salvation, not choosing.

Yes, the means are inescapable, but they are means to salvation, not choosing.

So the verse says, "You were chosen to salvation. Salvation comes through setting apart/belief."

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Telling me I don't listen to Scripture is an attack.
    The means modify the entire phrase. Leave out the prepositions, and you have plainly "God chose you". For what and how? You can't just end at "God chose you" leaving out the prepositional phrases that describe the actions of the verb and the the beneficiary of that action.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sanctification here is used in the context of the work of the Holy Spirit in salvation...the entire process (realization of God through nature, the desire to be immortal, and the conscience), not only the effectual call.

#94 webdog, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2009
  15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

No it's not. It's a statement.

No, it doesn't. You are not chosen by setting apart and belief.

I agree. That's my point. God chose you. For what? Salvation. How does salvation come? Through setting apart and belief.

16. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

Make a decision, huh!
    And YOU HATH HE QUICKENED. Not anything to argue about.

17. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

What did JESUS tell Peter before he accended into Heaven/
    Peter Feed my Sheep, and a second time he said, Peter feed my Lambs, and the third time, Peter, Feed my sheep.
    Don't worry about trying to bring dead man to a spitiyual nature, which can't happen anyway. Jesus will do the quickening of his Sheep, Lambs.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Statements are used to make an attack, especially false ones like you made.
    Yet that is exactly what the passage says.
    If we put well placed periods and question marks whenever and wherever we want to, we can make the Bible say whatever we want it to. It's one statement, not 3 as you have chopped it into.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...and the burden of proof falls on you that regeneration precedes faith.

20. Allan

Allan Active Member

First Pastor Larry let say that I might have misunderstood your post in my response to it. So if I did my appologies. If not well.. :smilewinkgrin:

Sorry Larry, but I have to disagree with some of the above as far as I understand you.

I do agree on your point that 'chosen' is refering specifically for salvation. It is emphasizing the point that it was God's purpose from before creation to save them (those whom the text speaks).
    However I believe you appear to make the assuption the text is refering to how a person brought to salvation instead of it being the operation of what saves. There are two little words that can not be overlooked with dealing with theology here - 'Through' as well as 'and'.

We are chosen for salvation no question. But what come next isn't a process but the event itself which makes us saved. IOW - we were chosen to salvation which is sactification by God the Holy Spirt and faith in Truth (God) by man.

Notice if you will term 'through' or 'in' regarding salvation. The term refers back to the object (salvation) and denotes how this salvation transpires. Now we can know the text is not intending to give a particular order because of the word 'and' being implimented between sanctincation and belief. "And' means - in conjunction with; IOW - what is being expressed is not a specific order to be saved but only a reference of two specific events that together result in a singular action (salvation). Thus it isn't saying one precedes the other but that both together result in a singular action - salvation.

One can not be saved unless one is set apart unto God. - no question
    One can not be saved unless one has believed. - no question.
    Without both of these no one is saved for it is through both that salvation is established.

However scripture states that one is only sanctified by faith. (Acts 26:18)
    Just as one is only righteous by faith (Rom 3:22, Rom 4:5)
    Just as one is only justified by faith (Rom 3:28)
    Just as we only recieve the indwelling of the Holy Spirit by faith (Gal 3:14)
    Thus according to scripture all those things which are considered to make up the 'regeneration' are only obtained through faith not prior to it.

So, sanctification can not be the 'effectual call' since we are sanctified by faith not prior to it.

Have you changed your view on this. I know that you previously held faith preceded regeneration (IF I remember correctly)? Or do you consider sanctification and regeneration to seperate things?

#100 Allan, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2009