1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Did He Really Know You?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Aaron, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is a legitimate question to ask in this debate forum. Something people should not find objectionable to answer. Obviously there is no random chance.

If you have been given to Christ as His children, Hebrews 2:13, you exist to be a part of the family of God, that is one of your purposes.

Romans 8:29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.

You would be one of those many brethren, adopted into the family of God according to His purposes.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For you to exist, each union of each sperm and ovum in your family tree must have fallen out precisely according to God's plan. Every free choice in marriage partners, including the events leading up to the moment of conception. Or every evil act as with David and Bathsheba that eventually produced Jesus. Or accidents, wars, diseases and violent deaths, that placed someone different in your family tree, must be under God's direct control. Or you would not exist. From untold trillions of sperm egg unions, each producing a different person, all falling-out according to his eternal decree for you to be reading this now. Think what this means if God wrote your name in the book of life before the foundation of the world.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do tell. Do you know another option?

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's keep the distinction between the old and new creations. My question is concerning one's physical birth and life. Did it happen by chance, or was it determined by God?

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Of course not chance at all. Since we see Ephesians 1 says we were chosen in Him from before the earth's foundation, means we could not be random chance creations of God. God creates everything with with purpose, especially so people who is said of them are made in the image of God.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is omniscient, He cannot not know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can call it what you want. In God's omniscience He cannot not know. Does not mean God chose it for you, though He could of. Determined is too ambiguous in meaning.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Determined" is not ambiguous at all. It means that He saw to it that you would be born, not merely saw that you would.

Not talking about omniscience. Talking about will.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like your reasoning, but for all to be decreed from the beginning makes God the author of sin. Things must be more complicated.

10. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope!!
    But whether I do or not does not limit whether God does!?!?

11. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw Sue Dodge once here in Indianapolis and spoke with her briefly.

That song was a response to Scorsese's film about the last temptation of Christ when He was allegedly thinking about having sex with Mary Magdalene again.

The song is saying that Jesus was thinking about my salvation by being washed in His blood.

God knew before He created the universe what everything would be like. Lester Roloff used to say did it ever occur to you that nothing ever occurred to God? And, no, I am not a Calvinist or a neo-Calvinist but a so-called traditionalist Southern Baptist, sometimes called a mild Calvinist.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No it doesn't. The Father of Lies was there in the beginning. Genesis is about the creation of the heavens and the earth, not angels. So forget all that. My question is about you.

You are here. Was it by chance or by God's will?

13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is God's will in the matter of being known by God to be one of His? Matthew 7:21-23, "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

14. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are here because we were in Adam when he was created. God knew that and allowed it. God created it so there was no chance involved since a person's presence is a result of what God did. However, God did not want Adam to sin.

15. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll never understand the zeal and effort Calvinists put into convincing non-Calvinists to change their "heretical" beliefs, given their view of predestination. Relax brethren, the Sovereign God will change us or not depending on his predetermined will for us. Repent of trying to play God, stop trying to correct us, you're practically denying Calvinism in doing so. Some of us were predestinated to be non-Calvinists.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Aaron, have you stopped beating your wife yet?
    Yes or no?
    Which is it?
    Don't avoid the question!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. ivdavid

ivdavid Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They're technically denying high calvinism in doing so. Calvinism itself holds men as participants in what's predestined, used as instruments. So in a sense, they're predestined to continue correcting incorrect beliefs :)

To be fair though, even armianism actually believes everything is foreordained by God - the difference lies only in whether God foreordains without considering man's self-determinism or in factoring that too. Since God alone is omniscient, exhortation even when you believe otherwise is totally permissible as in Heb 6:9.

18. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    "everything" is definitely not foreordained of God; some things are, but not everything.
    I never read a Bible verse that said that God has foreordained every last thing.
    (note, I need a Bible answer, not a philosophical answer, to believe otherwise).

19. ivdavid

ivdavid Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you're reading beyond what I meant - because I thought i was agreeing with you and trying to find middle ground with the calvinists. Like I said, even classical Arminianism had no issues affirming that God foreordains all things in the sense of Him counselling to permit human freewill which He foreknows/foresees to come to pass according to His purpose and pleasure. The alternative would have resorted to open theism, sliding down a slippery slope. The Scriptural basis for this itself would be Isa 46:10-11 echoed again in the "all things" of Eph 1:11.

20. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    It sounds to me like foreknowledge and foreordination are being confounded, no?
    Maybe I'm missing what you're saying. Are you saying foreknowledge = foreordination ?