Did Jesus Drink Alcoholic Beverages?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by gekko, May 10, 2006.

1. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    I answered your question. He did not give anyone alcohol, nor did He drink alcohol Himself.

2. DeeJay New Member

SFiC

That was not my question. My question was did Jesus drink, or serve a drink containing leaven?

3. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

People like SFIC, gekko and smokey will continue to wade in ignorance regardless of how often you show them specifically in Scripture where alcohol is not sinful, but the abuse is. They will continue to attack other believers and rip verses out of context to make the Bible fit their convctions, instead of the other way around. I can't wait until the feast the Lord prepares for us (Isaiah 25:6) where the LORD of Hosts will prepare the best food and FINEST, WELL AGED WINE, and they say "but Lord, it's not for kings! What are you DOING?!?"

4. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    No, Jesus did not drink beverages containing leaven. You must remember, He was the Son of God. He was able to produce wine, pure wine,from water. Wine that was free of both leaven and fermentation.

If He was able to create the world from just speaking, He could produce a wine that was 'the best to the taste', yet without any impurity of any kind.

5. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    As I stated earlier, He was and is the King of kings and the Prince of peace. Since it was forbidden for kings to drink wine or or princes strong drink, He could not have produced and drank a fermented wine or strong drink, so your logic that if it did not have leaven in it it would have to be fermented... is flawed.

6. DeeJay New Member

So if I understand you, only the fresh grape juice that Jesus made was drank during the passover. Question: what did all the others who were not with Jesus drink during the passover. What did the deciples drink after Jesus was gone?

Seems a little far feched to me.

7. DeeJay New Member

Like I explained grapes have leaven (yeast) on the surface. When the juice is fully fermented approx. %14 the alcohol kills the leaven (yeast). That is why it will not ferment past %14,

8. gekko New Member

webdog said "People like SFIC, gekko and smokey will continue to wade in ignorance regardless of how often you show them specifically in Scripture where alcohol is not sinful, but the abuse is. They will continue to attack other believers and rip verses out of context to make the Bible fit their convctions, instead of the other way around."

thanks for the attack. very much appreciated.

have i attacked anybody? or are you just taking it that way? rip verses out of context? where have i done that?

you assume. shouldn't do that.

but again webdog - i had before thought of you a better person - but now... now i dont know.

thanks again for the attack. oh dont worry - i wont take it to heart.

God bless.

9. gekko New Member

DeeJay - do you have a reliable referance as to where you are getting these facts about leaven on the outside of the grapes?

thank you.

10. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    There is indeed yeast on the grape skin. But Jesus was able to touch lepers and remove the disease. I am sure He was able to separate the yeast from the juice of the grape.

As a matter of fact, I am sure I have read in the Bible 'with God all things are possible.'

11. gekko New Member

well. isn't there more leaven when the wine is fermented at 14%?

" there is indeed leavening in grape juice, but there is a much higher degree of leavening in fermented wine, so much so that to set off the process of fermentation, fermented wine is introduced to grape juice to hasten the process."

web page

just something i found - i dont know if it's reliable or not. good to check it out though. no?

12. gekko New Member

isn't fermented wine considered "pure leaven" ?

pure leaven meaning - that's the only ingredient basically?

and when introduced to grape juice - the grape juice ferments much quicker?

13. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    wine is sometimes mixed with other ingredients that cause the fermentation to be much stronger than that of wine in the natural state.

14. DeeJay New Member

If you let the wine ferment compleatly then the alcohol content comes to a point that it kills the yeast. This point is somewhere around %14 give or take a percent or two. This is why fermented drinks (wine, beer) never have the alcohol content that distilled drinks have.

Now when making wine, depending on the type of wine you want, often fermentation is stoped before all the yeast is gone, making the wine sweeter. Also some grapes have a real low suger content and the suger can run out before the yeast is gone stoping fermentation. This happens all the time with beer. That is why beer is only around %5. But grapes usely have alot of suger. Beer only uses malt for suger.

But in general if you smash a grape the yeast on the skin will mix with the juice and start fermentation. The grape will ferment until the alcohol kills the yeast and then will stop.

15. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    I think that is why Solomon spoke of mixed wine in Proverbs 23.

16. DeeJay New Member

No the leaven ( another word for yeast) is a bacteria on the skin of the grape. Fermentation referrs to alcohol. Yeast eats suger and the wast product is alcohol.

17. DeeJay New Member

True. Fortified wines like port wine have distilled alcohol added to boost the alcohol content above %14.

They take wine and distill it (boil the alcohol out and collect it) this is brandy. It is then added to the wine to boost the alcohol.

18. gekko New Member

DeeJay said "If you let the wine ferment compleatly then the alcohol content comes to a point that it kills the yeast."

could you provide some proof for that please?
    thank you in advance.

19. Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Hmmmmmm! Mr. Wine expert here. ;) Just kidding.

However, you are dead on. I worked on a project where we were trying to increase the tolerance of alcohol to yeast. Not for the wine industry, but for ethanol for fuel. Just by increasing the output of the mash before it is distilled can greatly cut the cost of the process. Every percentage point helps.

I highly suggest any of you who can buy the ten% mixture of gasahol (sp?) to do so. It is ten percent pure American. However, do not use a higher-blend in your car unless it is designed for such. Alcohol will clean your car, but higher than 10% will strip the oil from key friction areas causing accelerated wear.

It IS possible to go all alcohol, but so far, not one auto company has produced an engine (that I know of) that is designed for complete ethanol consumption.

We can grow plenty produce to convert to alcohol, thus helping local farmers. We have even looked at the "horse-apples" which are pretty much good for nothing except wind-breaks between fields in the mid-west. The horse-apples do have sugars that will convert to alcohol. We successfully made 10% gasahol and burned it using horse-apples as the source.

I can't talk about the increases in yeast yield vs. alcohol. I'm bound by a non-disclosure agreement, but either way, we can produce plenty of alcohol at lower cost than we can pay for gasoline.

Sorry, to get off of this, I guess it should have been a thread asking if Jesus fed fermented horse-apples to his donkeys.

Just interesting info, to me at least.

Yes, the wine in the Bible was indeed fermented. Why would new wine-skins be needed to withstand the pressure of initial fermentation? Fermentation was required in the climate to preserve the grape-juice. This is the reason that the BIble warns against the "abuse" and "drunkeness" caused by wine, not the drinking thereof.

The question I have today, is not so much drinking the wine, but what kind of testimony do we show a non-christian in today's society if we have a beer with our meal instead of iced-tea? I would rather not risk leading someone wrong on this issue. Things have changed since the middle east and the only reason to drink today is to get drunk. (With the exception of a glass of wine for the anti-oxidants for the heart--which can be done at home. I have absolutely no problem with a doctor's approved glass or two or wine to either help sleep instead of sleeping pills or to help lower cholesterol and help heart function. Two glasses certainly will not make a person drunk, especially if taken with a meal.)

Just my humble thoughts.

20. gekko New Member

still i see no proof that when the wine reaches that 14% level that it kills the yeast.