1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus have a sin nature?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Robert Snow, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Let me pose this question. If Jesus could have sinned, and had he yielded to temptation, what would have happened? Wouldn't that have meant that God had sinned. If that were true, God forbid, what would the result have been.

2. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

refer to my last post.

3. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

In other words you agree. Jesus could not sin.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Your question makes an assumption that you nor anyone can support biblically. You said "If Jesus could have sinned." You are assuming that
    He could not have sinned. I think that He had to be able, but chose not to. It does not mean that He had a sin nature however. Adam at creation did not have a sin nature. Yes this rubs some raw, but in my limited ability to comprehend I do hold this view. I am not going to speculate on the what if part as it makes me uncomfortable.

#24 freeatlast, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2011
  5. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

It wasn't that Jesus did not have the choice to sin or heed to temptation, but His very nature bound Him to never sin. The answer is found in His divine nature, and we are the opposite. We cannot not sin because of our nature. This is why we need God.

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Here again is something that cannot be proven with scripture. To say that we cannot not sin I disagree with. I believe we always have a choice. I do not believe for a moment we have to sin. In fact I challenge any honest person to name just one sin that they had to commit. This is what makes our sin so lawless. We are not lost because we sin. We are lost because we are in Adam.

7. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Double talk! If "His very nature bound Him to never sin" then He could not have sinned.

I don't think Jesus had a sinful nature. The temptation was not to see if Jesus could sin, but to show that He was indeed God!

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

So how was He tempted then because God cannot be tempted. james 1:13

9. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

When Christ took on human flesh, He took upon Himself the free will to chose that which is against the will of God. When He prayed, "Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done", He clearly expressed His ability to express a different will from the Father's. He desired to not go through the separation from the Father that would occur at the cross, but He did not chose to violate God's will. He submitted His flesh to the Father's will. God did not create flesh to be intrinsically sinful. It was Adam's choice that brought sin into our flesh; not sin that brought the choice.

10. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

We cannot not sin, yet we have a choice. Jesus cannot sin, yet He had a choice. God cannot sin, man cannot not sin. We have a fallen nature in Adam which includes continual rebellion against God until we are saved by God. I'm not saying we are forced to sin, but we are bound by are nature to do nothing but sin. Our nature is sin -> sin-nature.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

That is double talk. No offense. We have a bent to sin, but we do not have to sin. name me one sin that you had to do.

#31 freeatlast, Jan 6, 2011
  12. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

Did He? No. Yes God is bound to His nature. God cannot sin. Jesus is God therefore Jesus cannot sin.

I don't either. By Jesus never sinning He did prove to be God and fulfill all righteousness by perfect submission to the Father. Jesus could not fail in the deepest sense. It is like God lieing. It isn't that God doesn't possess the option, but He cannot lie because He is God.

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

What about His human side. Was He not 100% man and 100% God? if so then the temptaion that He did not do because of being God had to fall on his human side also which means He could have sinned.

#33 freeatlast, Jan 6, 2011
  14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

If it is impossible then He does not have the option. Adam was sinless and yet he had the option and took it. If something is impossible there is no option.

15. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

You are misunderstanding me. Go back and think about what Io said. I said man has the option to sin or not to sin. Jesus has the option to sin or not to sin. Jesus never sinned because He is God and bound by His nature. We always sin because we are bound by our nature. Our nature doesn't strip the choice, but handcuffs us to only do evil all the time. For us to do good in our fallen state is as likely as Jesus doing evil.

If you give Jesus infinite choices to do good or evil He would always do good

If you give man infinite choices to do do good or evil (apart from God) he always does evil

#35 zrs6v4, Jan 6, 2011
  16. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

Well it is impossible and He does have the option.

17. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

As God, could Christ sin? NO. As man, could Jesus sin? YES. Do I understand this paradox? NO. Do I accept it? YES, It is not necessary for me to understand truth before I accept it as true.

18. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

Good question. Yes He was God who became flesh. He possessed all attributes of God in an imperfect human body. I honestly don't have the answer, but it would be an interesting topic to chew on.

19. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Jesus

The flesh of Jesus was just like all of ours. Jesus was God wrapped in flesh and walked among us in a flesh veil so He could be with us and walk with us and talk with us.

The flesh had to be defeated and it was defeated by God and through Jesus we have the same victory.

I do believe we will be given a new body or a renewed body a Spiritual body. Since Jesus did not sin His Body was turned right to Spiritual. The Lamb of God will still have the scars and one day we will see them for ourselves.

If Jesus body wasn't like ours where would be the victory, what did Jesus triumph over that Adam did not?

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Now I agree with that as long as we are saying that the reason we always do sin in our lost state is because our deeds are done apart from God. Even our righteous deeds are filthy rags while we are lost.

#40 freeatlast, Jan 6, 2011