1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus have a sin nature?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Robert Snow, Jan 6, 2011.

1. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm in complete agreement with you. I don't know, though, why you seem to be disagreeing with me. Must I make further clarification? Am I not being as clear as I think I am?

Again, using "sin nature" as I was, I was referring to the Augustinian concept that Christ bore our sins (in a penal substitution kind of way). And, again..., perhaps "sin nature" was not the best way to express my thoughts on the subjects. Clearly what you (and others) understood me to mean is not what I meant.

The Archangel

#61 The Archangel, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2011
  2. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

I am not separated nothing they are one if the flesh sins the whole being is defiled. He was never tempted to sin or even thought of sin, but was tempted with things that we are tempted with, but defeated the desire of the flesh.

Matthew 15:
    10 Jesus called the crowd to him and said, “Listen and understand. 11 What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.”

12 Then the disciples came to him and asked, “Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this?”

13 He replied, “Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be pulled up by the roots. 14 Leave them; they are blind guides.[Matthew 15] If the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit.”

15 Peter said, “Explain the parable to us.”

16 “Are you still so dull?” Jesus asked them. 17 “Don’t you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? 18 But the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart, and these defile them. 19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts—murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. 20 These are what defile a person; but eating with unwashed hands does not defile them.”

Sin comes out of our heart, so being tempted to eat, but what come out of His heart was that man can't live on bread alone but every word that comes from God shows that He will not follow the devil word, but like I said being hungry is not a sin.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Ok the then how is this true then if Jesus was tempted but did not feel the temptation how is this true?
    For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as [we are, yet] without sin.
    How is it that it is said that He was tempted as we, feels our infirmities, if He never thought of doing the temptation?

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I cannot believe what I am reading in this thread. It smacks of paganism to even suggest that Christ had a sin nature or that Christ could have sinned. Their knowledge of the Scriptures is barren, their opinion of Christ is very low, and their opinion of themselves is very high. If they know Christ at all, they know Him very little, and they know themselves even less.

5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Interesting,

Hebrews 4:15 indicates that He was in all ways tempted as we are. Which brings up a whole host of interesting questions, but the most theologically interesting (IMO) is that of the OP.

Does this tell us that Jesus (the man) had a nature equivalent to ours?

6. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Yes...me too. Some of the post on this thread, makes me wonder.

It is much easier to understand then some have tried to make it. Lets say to pick up a rock is a sin. Christ had the power within his human nature to pick up that rock. Christ did not have the sin desire to pick up that rock.

When the Bible uses the word temptations toward Christ, this does not mean that Christ was DRAWN to sin. The main idea is trials. In other words, the object which the devil used to bring temptation, (the rock in this case) is laid before the subject (Christ in this case) as a trail by the devil (or means of temptation). Yet Christ had no desire at any time to pick up that rock. He endured the trail (the subject used by the devil) without being drawn in any way.

7. quantumfaith

Michael, honest question. How do we KNOW that the "sin nature" predates the original sin?

8. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Because the Creator made a "GOOD" man that has "fallen" into sin.

9. quantumfaith

Excellent observation Zenas.

10. quantumfaith

Michael,

It is my conviction here, the quoting of Psalm 22, that Jesus was quoting this as a Psalm of Victory, which it is and not necessarily a picture of "God turning His back on Christ at that moment. Although it is entirely possible, seems to me to a bit of perhaps spiritualizing. But like O,Reilly says....I could be wrong. ( Probably am :) )

11. psalms109:31

The key word is without sin, if He would of just thought of sinning He would of sinned. He was tempted by the same stuff, by being around it. Knowing what it was like being hungry, sleepy, tired and everything of the frailty of the flesh, but did not sin. That is the way I have always seen when looking at that verse. Maybe you see something differently , but this is the way i see it.

#71 psalms109:31, Jan 7, 2011
  12. quantumfaith

Good point, I "feel" that this nature is an inevitable consequence of a free moral agency. If man had the omniscience of God from the beginning and understood sin as God perhaps he would have chosen differently. But alas, we are not God, hence the tactic of the serpent to appeal to the desire to be "like God".

13. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

QF,

Well, I would say that Adam did know what sin was, (maybe not the word sin but the meaning...to not follow God), because he was there with Eve when she told the Devil what God had said.

To many...Good and evil here means "ALL THINGS".

#73 Jarthur001, Jan 7, 2011
  14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

For me it does not answer the question how He knows our infimities if He never battled the temptations we battle. Also how He was tempted in all things even as we. This raises some serious issues, not addressed in your response. I am not saying your wrong, I don't know, although in what I do hold I do not hold the exact understnding. I simply see your answer going to a point and stopping without dealing with the whole.

15. psalms109:31

Jesus never tempted to sin

The key word is without sin, if He would of just thought of sinning He would of sinned. He was tempted by the same stuff, by being around it. Knowing what it was like being hungry, sleepy, tired and everything of the frailty of the flesh, but did not sin. That is the way I have always seen when looking at that verse. Maybe you see something differently , but this is the way i see it.

This has answered for me, I am sorry it hasn't for you. To think sin is to sin and Jesus can't do that. Jesus defeated the tempting of the flesh. What defilled us is not what goes in or what we see, but what has come out of the heart.

He was tempted, but did not give away to His own evil desires for He had none. Tempted by food is not sin, but evil desires that goes out of the heart is.

James 1
    14 but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed.

Do you believe Jesus was dragged away by His own evil desire?

#75 psalms109:31, Jan 7, 2011
  16. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

The "sin nature", as it is normally meant, came as a result of the original sin. The "ability to chose sin" predates the original sin. There needs to be clarification of definitions when we discuss the "sin nature". I believe that it is this miscommunication which is the cause of much misunderstanding of the topic.

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am not in total disagreement with you. I do not believe that the Lord had any evil desires. However based on James and the understanding as to how temptation and sin comes about and the explanation of Hebrews
    For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as [we are, yet] without sin.

There is some understanding that I lack in that how can He know our feelings in our battle against sin, because there is no battle without desire, if we hold that he never felt the desire and yet the claim is made that He was tempted in all points as we. I assume you see the difficulty here?

18. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus was not, and is not, a created being.
    So He had no propensity, at all, to sin, though He can be tempted, and that is the difference between Him and Adam, who also was created without sin, but had the propensity and inclination towards it.

He was the Eternal Word....and the word was God.
    The difference between His birth and that of His pre-incarnate appearances in the Old Testament is that in the latter he was just as he wanted people to see him.

In His birth, He came as He was prophesied, in the likeness of sinful flesh, to say that He has a sinful nature based on this description is to read too much into Scripture.

19. psalms109:31

Jesus had all the desires tempting as man being tired, hungry, sleepy, wanting companionship, wanted to go back to who you are and once was, not wanting to die. None of these is an evil desire, it is when because of this we give into evil desire, that Jesus did not have that we have sinned.

#79 psalms109:31, Jan 7, 2011
  20. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Christ was 100% God & 100% creation. That is the mystery of the incarnation. He became flesh(creation) in order to fulfill the Law from within the Law.