1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus have long hair?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes and there is that most beautiful Scripture (immortalised even in The Messiah) "... He was despised ...". What healing power, what creative power is there in these words I know from experience. Oh my soul adoreth thee!

2. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

So: no, but yes.

Got it.

It's hair, people. Hair.

Just. Hair.

:BangHead:

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That tells a story ... the story of One Jesus of Nazareth. The Father is so interested in just hair He even counted every one on my head of all people imagin!

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Then I vaguely recall a Scripture that foretold Someone who would come ... with golden hair and eyes like wine ... Who can tell me the location?

5. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

How do you define what is important to God or what is "just hair". Do you live by every word of God or just some of them?

6. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Certainly no more than you do.

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Don't have enough brain cells and don't use enough percentage of them to grasp what you mean.

8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

The point is that if God thought it worth including in scripture, it is there for a reason. Where does the bible say God doesn't care about hair?

9. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

The question was to Tragic as he is attempting to diminish the importance of Paul's instruction about hair. He doesn't think it is important thus, we should not think that God thinks it important. It would appear to be a pattern with him as it would seem he doesn't like any scripture that opposes his feminist, gender confused worldview.

10. gekko

gekko New Member

that portion of scripture isn't really even talking about how long men's hair should be...

but rather coverings. which is different. no?

11. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

That portion of scripture covers how men should wear their hair (not long)...

"Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?" - 1 Corinthians 11:14

...and how women should wear their hair (long), for it is her glory and is given her for a covering...
    "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering." - 1 Corinthians 11:15

12. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I think the question of hair was very important to the church at Corinth.

And you still cannot grasp the difference between Scripture and your interpretation of Scripture. Thus the snide little side-insults. Grow up.

13. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

If 1&2 Corinthians was written only to the Corinthians and has no meaning to the non-Corinthians of today, then why did those books make the canon of scripture? What value do these books have? Would you recommend removing them from our Bibles today?

I'm not sure if you believe this one applies to you or not, but 2 Timothy 3:16 says that all scripture is profitable for doctrine for reproof, for correction and instruction. What is the reproof and instruction you get from all of these verses applying to someone other than you, or your female pastor?

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:" 2 Timothy 3:16

Scripture tells us what is good and what is evil. When Paul says it is a shame for a man to wear long hair, I believe him (I'm weird like that) and I believe it applies to me. As to the "snide-insults"...your positions are consistent with feminism no? People call me a fundamentalist often, perhaps they are trying to insult me when they do, yet I know I am right to be one, so I gladly accept the title. If you align yourself with feminist positions and believe that you are right, then you should not consider the title feminist as an insult.

14. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

That wasn't the insult, and you know it.

This was what I was referring to:

The fact that I spoke of Scripture, and not feminism, would have been a clue to most readers.

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    I see ...
    Your Goethe phrase: "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
    None are more hopelessly confused than those who falsely believe they are neither male nor female ...

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

When did long hair on a man become sinful? Samson had long hair, so did Absalom.

This is what the Life Applicaion Bible has to say in the notes on 1 Cor. 16:14-15:

In talking about head covering and length of hair, Paul is saying that believers should look and behave in ways that are honorable in their own culture. In many cultures long hair on men is considered appropriate and masculine. In Corinth, it was thought to be a sign of male prostitution in the pagan temples. And women with short hair were labeled prostitutes. Paul was saying that in the Corinthian culture, Christian women should keep their hair long. If short hair on women was a sign of prostitution, then a Christian woman with short hair would find it difficult to be a believable witness for Jesus Christ. Paul wasn't saying we should adopt all the practices of our culture but that we should avoid appearances and behavior that detract from our ulitmate goal of being witnesses for Jesus Christ.

17. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Absalom was not an example of godliness. He was a rebellious wretch whose beautiful hair got him dead. Samson was a nazarite and his hair also got him in trouble.

Even using the above argument, long hair on men and short hair on women, in America, has been countercultural for most of this nations existence.

#77 Rufus_1611, Dec 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2006
  18. gekko

gekko New Member

what is the reason for verse 14?

well - verse 7 is the answer "for a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man"

ok. so if men cover their heads - it is dishonouring...

should all men shave their heads now? i mean. even short hair is a covering.

what defines long hair? no scripture in there defines 'long hair'

lets all go to Rufus and his personal opinion on the defenition of long hair.

not.

what is long hair????????????????????

19. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Where does it say short hair is a covering? It says

1 Corinthians 11:15
    15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

Her hair is long hair in this verse. If it is not long, then she is not covered.

1 Corinthians 11:6
    6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

What length is between long hair and shorn or shaven? Short hair. What defines long hair? If Paul appeals to nature, then the definition of long hair must be apparent and written into the conscience of man. No one I know has trouble discerning between long and short when they are side by side.

20. gekko

gekko New Member

well. i'll keep my short hair - and i'll let it grow and grow and grow. until i get sick of it. or until nature gets my hair stuck in a branch. then i'll get it trimmed.

booyah.

God bless!