1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus have long hair?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

True, but it was NOT the hair that was sinful, it was the person. Jewish men were forbidden to cut their hair above the ear. So, Jesus' hair wouldn't have been any shorter than that and some people today think that is long hair.

That is ridiculous. Women have been wearing short hair for many years. It's all about culteral styles. A lot of women wear their hair short because it's easier to take care of. Nothing more. No sin in that. Long hair won't make you a better woman, wife, mother, friend or Christian.

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

But women who cut off their long hair have cut off their glory.

3. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Thats nothing less than what I expect from this perverse generation. Maybe you will grow out of it someday. Booyah to you too.

4. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

5. gekko

gekko New Member

well... i guess i'm goin to hell now that i apparently have long hair (which in my opinion is not long)

but having long hair or not has nothing to do with salvation - so long hair has nothing to do with me going to hell.

long hair on men has nothing to do with salvation. does it?

(oh - and 'booyah' is just an expression of excitement... not an insult)

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You should be ashamed of yourself calling someone perverse based on the length of their hair. You sound like a Pharisee.

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'v known women who had chemotherapy and had NO hair and if they want to come to church bald headed, that's fine with me!

8. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

This is a foolish statement. I have indicated that I do not have a definition of what long is and I am not your judge. Long hair on a man is a shame. If you believe your hair is short and you think God finds your hair to be short then all is well. If you think your hair is long and you are not interested in what Paul inspired by God said, then you are in rebellion. Either way it is a matter between you and God and not Rufus.

9. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Perverse has nothing to do with the length of anyones hair.

PERVERSE, a. pervers'. [L. perversus. See Pervert.]

2. Obstinate in the wrong; disposed to be contrary; stubborn; untractable.

Growing your hair long, even though the bible says it is a shame, out of spite is perverse. Thats bible language and has nothing to do with groping.

10. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

The hair was representative of the rebellious and vain nature of Absalom.

Women have been wearing short hair for a couple of decades. For the 200 years of American existence prior, it was understood that men wore short hair and women long hair.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I know what the word means. The point is that a young man growing his hair long doesn't make him contrary or stubborn towards God. It's just hair. God sees the heart thank goodness not hairstyles.

12. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Don't worry, I'll save you a window seat on the bus.

Remember that when people get their necks all stiff over hair length, you have to consider the source. Pointless judgementalism will condemn them in the end, not you.

13. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Why is it judgmental to say that God wants men to look like men? Is it judgmental to say that God hates abortion? Or is that a choice too? God said it in His word, it is a shame for a man to have long hair. Why this causes a bunch of shoulder shrugging and wondering of what God could possibly mean is a mystery to me.

14. Blammo

Blammo New Member

It seems to me the people who are offended by the verse are offended by God.

Why don't you turn your defensivness toward God?

Ask Him:

- What constitutes long hair?
    - Who are you to judge?
    - Why don't you mind your own business?
    - etc.

And be sure to use the same attitude you have just used against your brethren.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What constitutes "men looking like men"? I've seen plenty of men with short hair look like women. What inch length is "long"? 3"? 7"? 12"? The longest my hair gets is 1 1/2"...so to me 2" is "long". I guess every man with hair lenth 2" and longer are "shameful" to God... :rolleyes:

God also said in his Word that women are to remain quiet in church. Does your church allow women to sing?

16. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Then they need to repent and put some manly clothes on. The modern metrosexual pink shirt cowboy look is pretty sad.
    Sure does.

17. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I agree, but you know what they say, James. It takes a real man to wear pink. :laugh:
    With that said, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing pink. :wavey:

18. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I can't believe this has evolved into a 10 page debate.
    Checking BDAG it would appear that Paul is refering to those among the rich who would style their hair like the women of the time, not so much that they had long hair.

19. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Really now? What about that cute little powdered wig number Washington wore? Gotta love his ponytail!

20. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Of course you do. Shameful, just shameful! Wait! Are you under a Nazarite vow? It's okay, then.

#100 Tom Butler, Dec 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2006