1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Did the Son of God Die?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by th1bill, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This debate sounds like arguing over whether Shamu is an Orka or a Killer Whale.

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right, He (the Logos) had to be alive in order to raise His own body from the dead.

HankD

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The God Man. If you divide Him up (the man-part "died", the God-part "didn't") you are heading down a slippery slope of undoing the hypostatic union.

Just because WE don't wrap our brains around it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Jesus, the God-man, died for me! Hallelujah!

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Hank you are trying to use human logic to come to a conclusion about an infinite God. Using your system then Jesus could not be God as God is Spirit. Jesus could not be God because God knows everything but Jesus did not know everything. Jesus could not be God because He died and on and on.
    The scriptures say that the Jesus the Son of God died so He died. The scriptures say that He would raise Himself up. The scriptures say that God raised Him up. The scriptures teach that Jesus was God. All these are true. The fact that some cannot rap their mind around the truth because the scripture and what it says does not fit into their ability to comprehend does not mean the scripture is incorrect. Everything it says is true. The Son of God Jesus died even though some are rejecting that. It took death as payment for sin., He is God, God is the Savior, Jesus is the Savior, it took death to pay for the sins of men and the One who died would be that Savior.

#84 freeatlast, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2012
  5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! Thank you. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

So God did NOT die on the Cross. You are so right!:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Are you saying Jesus was not God?

8. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Jesus died a physical death. Not sure why this discussion keeps going on. God(a spirit) cannot die a physical death. Jesus died a physical death. That's why the Son of God(Jesus) had to take on human flesh. Once the Son of God took on human flesh, He could die a physical death.

9. OldRegular

Dr. Bob

I hate to say it but you are wrong like most posting on this thread.

No matter what we say or do we cannot undo the truth of the Incarnation.

Similarly, no matter what anyone say or does God cannot be divided. There is ONE God. Jesus Christ, the Incarnate God, says:

John 10:30. I and my Father are one.

And God states:

Malachi 3:6. For I am the LORD, I change not;

Is death a change or is it not? The answer is obvious. His Divine Nature had to remain unaltered, could not die.

If the Incarnate God died then His creation ceased to exist. I believe we are still here!

10. OldRegular

FAL: You have a problem. Pray about it! Work on it!

11. OldRegular

You correctly state that God is infinite. Yet you are trying to use "finite" human logic to explain things that are beyond understanding.

Scripture tells us:

1 Timothy 1:17. Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Now you claim God died. Then explain away the above truth about God!

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

And you Don't? :laugh:

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I don't have a problem with that passage and I don't have a problem with the fact that the Son died and the Son was God. You are having the problem accepting all of scripture. I am acceptiong all of it even if I do not know how He does what he does. You want to reject certain parts of it to hold to a belief that cannot be supported by scripture. The Son of God died and the Son was and Jesus is God.

#93 freeatlast, Jun 7, 2012
  14. OldRegular

You are pathetically mistaken.

It is you who are denying Scripture.
    You are wrong! God cannot die! Your understanding of the nature of Eternal, Immortal God is childish! There is one God according to Scripture:

Deuteronomy 6:4. Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:

If God the Son died then God the Father died and God the Holy Spirit died and the universe no longer really exists!

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes the Son of God did die.
    John 12:33
    This he said, signifying what death he should die.
    John 18:32
    That the saying of Jesus might be fulfilled, which he spake, signifying what death he should die.

Acts 3:15
    And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.
    Romans 6:9
    Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.

So yes the Son did die and was also raised from the dead.

16. OldRegular

So God was dead! Who raised Him from the dead seeing God was dead and in the grave {Some even foolishly say God went to Hell.}?:confused::rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My conclusion is the same as yours.

I agree Jesus the Son of God died.

Though He was God come in the flesh, He came into this world as a human being.

When a human being dies his/her spirit/soul separates from his/her body.
    This is the scriptural definition of death.

James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.​

Our human bodies die but our spirits return to God and then the judgement.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:​

Luke 23:46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.​

When Jesus the Son of God died His spirit returned to God, His body was placed in the tomb.​

Three days later His Spirit was reunited with His body and He was resurrected. This He did Himself, in fact all three members of the Trinity had a part in the resurrection of Christ.​

John 2
    19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
    20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
    21 But he spake of the temple of his body.​

1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.​

1 Peter 1:21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.​

HankD​

18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Romans 8:11
    But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

John 10:17,18
    Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
    No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

Acts 2:24
    Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

Acts 13:30
    But God raised him from the dead.

1Thess 1
    1:9 For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God; 1:10 And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.

All of the above. :smilewinkgrin:

19. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    freeatlast,
    You have been batting your head against the bricks for some time now and still have not even a dent in them. Jesus was completely man and completely God at the same time! Jesus died, the spirit being we know as the Son of God did not, he is infinate. I've explained this several times but perhaps I've not done so here yet, Jesus had one similarity to you. The spirit, the Son of God, never experienced the second death, He and you, the spirit being, will never die.

The Bible does not teach that the spirit dies the first death. The spirit of the lost man will not even suffer the first death, he will be in Hell, awaiting the Judgment and will eternally experience the spiritual death in the Bottomless Pit but that is horrible and without end.

20. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

John 5:26
    New International Version (NIV)
    26 For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself.

Jesus died the same death we will die. He deafeted death and in Him we will to

Praise Jesus

#100 psalms109:31, Jun 7, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.