1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Differences between church and individual beliefs

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Reformed, May 5, 2019.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like you've been to the church and I don't let it bother me anymore... They also have VBS for the young folk... I can also go on line and hear our way of singing and sing along or hear a good PB sermon... Brother Glen:)

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Roaring 20's? :Biggrin

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have this right?
    wintergardenpbc.com

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the most part we PB’s (Old School Baptists) have a biblical New Testament way of worshiping, expressed in a simple way of doing things. Our worship is family-oriented: families worship together. And as they interact in a worship context, children witness the import that their parents ascribe worship, observe the degree of reverence that Mom and Dad have for God, and learn how the family structure is modeled in Scripture. Even young children develop self-discipline as they learn to sit quietly and respectfully during the service.

But spiritual training doesn't stop when the last "Amen" is spoken at a worship service; it continues at home. Parents are to build their lives upon the Word such that it becomes a fundamental underpinning for every aspect of their lives. It is to be a common theme woven through everyday conversation, shared meals, evening walks, bedtime stories, and even discipline. Godly parents seek every opportunity to inculcate biblical attitudes and patterns into their children's thought processes.

Only under direct supervision are parents assured that their children's spiritual training accords with Scripture. Solid, foundational biblical instruction occurs through moment-by-moment, day-by-day exercise.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No Jon!... More like an extended Barbershop Quartet absorbed entirely in the Holy Spirit... Some brother give me a pitch pipe... Song leader for 35 years... Brother Glen:Biggrin

• Like Like x 1
  6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    At this point it is difficult to find a balanced work.
    We tried working in to a nearby church, but the Pastor became uncomfortable as we questioned him on how the work was growing, or not growing.
    What goals did he have for this assembly to grow?
    He suggested we move along.
    We now go to an assembly where the pastor preaches the word of God accurately.
    He is solid on the doctrines of grace which is a great comfort and vital to proper growth.
    The music however is given over to contempory sound, so I also pray during that time.
    I do find it disturbing.
    We had desired to work into the first church and short term it worked. Sadly we did only find a handful who were concerned with obeying scripture, its teaching and lawful demands.
    The pastor was to blame for accepting the status quo, and not faithfully proclaiming the truth as he should. The others in leadership were defective also, but they did not perceive any problem.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Better a pitch pipe than a pitchfork :Laugh

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keep looking. We are not saved for our sake but for God's glory. There is somewhere (often where you do not want to be) where God will use you.

We've been attending a church for the past year and joined a few weeks ago. They've approached my son (a teenager) to help with vacation bible school, a minister sent copies of lessons for my feedback, and the several have been trying to get my wife involved in the choir (not me....they know I can't sing). This is a church that is very active not only in the community but also in expecting members to be members.

That said....I do not like the music at all. But I've noticed that the youth hold these songs (and this type of music....sometimes songs I like set to music I don't) as I hold to hymns. I do not want to be a stumbling block to anyone so I stumble along with the songs (accompanied by a guitar, keyboard and drums that remind me of youth camp and make me feel very old).

What I have noticed in some churches is that "preaching the word of God accurately" sometimes means "preaching the doctrine that I affirm" and "true worship music" means "singing the music I like".

It's a challenge, but I think the more critical aspect is the heart and focus of the church. Churches are made up of imperfect people perfected in Christ. Being a part of a church is a covenant responsibility and accountability to these imperfect people perfected in Christ.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tolerance is the refuge of the weak and fearful... you are tolerant of only those who you fear can injure you, and so you placate them. You were not tolerated at that church and so were asked to leave. You also don’t tolerate those types of church societies that don’t understand Gods Complete sovereignty, and I don’t blame you because that’s a slide to humanism.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who said they are perfected in Christ?

11. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wesley, because it is not always possible. Here are a few reasons why:

1. You live in a rural area where the nearest like-minded church is too far away.
    2. Health problems limit the ability to travel far from home.
    3. Husband and wife are not in agreement on doctrinal issues or which church to attend.

Sometimes divine providence makes finding a like-minded church impossible. In that case, you have two choices: find the best possible church or stay at home.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did (post # 48).

13. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The important thing is that you are currently in a church that preaches the Word. Hopefully, you are able to build godly relationships.

• Like Like x 1
  14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is ironic that the complaint is often the self-attribute that others complain about.

We want others to accept our differences as an asset but rarely appreciate those who may hold views other than our own.

15. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon, one problem I have with modern worship music is that it intentionally or unintentionally disrespects older Christians. Ironically, older Christians are the most mature people in the church (generally speaking). This disrespect is a result of the modern church growth movement contextualization efforts. I visited a church in Celebration, FL that teaches the doctrines of grace. It's just on the edge of the distance I would be willing to drive. The preaching was very good. The music? Not just modern praise music but a stage show that Billy Squire used to put on in the 80's. Also, it was music you could wave your hands or head-bang to but you could not sing along with. The leader of the worship band filled the role of a lead singer. He sang so well and so loud that you could not compete with him. Not surprisingly, the average age in attendance seemed to top out at the early 40's. I was one of the oldest there and there was no one from the senior generation within eyesight. The generation that should provide the most spiritual grounding and stability was nowhere to be found. IMHO that does not bode well for the long term health of that church.

#55 Reformed, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It goes both ways, I suppose.

In my experience those who are offended by newer music are the more "mature" in Christ (and age). But rather than looking to what would aid the maturity of the young they look to their own preferences in terms of style. Perhaps this is why so many churches have become stagnate yet full of themselves (I've attended many dead and dying churches over the past year looking for a church home).

The church I've joined has contemporary music. I suspect that many of the older congregation share preference for a more hymn based worship style. BUT I do not know because you would not know if viewing our service because the focus is not on preference but on God and on building up the church. I suspect this cannot be accomplished except by discipleship. And I suspect discipleship cannot be accomplished by members who are obsessed with their own likes and dislikes.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t buy your argument. People are not perfected by going to church. People are perfected only by giving their total lives to Christ which is the real imperative.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try a Primitive Baptist Church then. How far are you from Winter Garden?

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good, then tell the “kids” to stop obsessing on unbiblical contemporary music that they insist on (ie their own likes) and consider the hymn music of the church.

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will....when the older folks stop obsessing on those hymns :Laugh