1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dilbert cancelled

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Piper, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Issue of the day: Comic strip cancelled amid 'woke' row

Dilbert?

Dilbert is written by US author and cartoonist, Scott Adams, 65, with the strip - which launched in 1989 - growing in popularity in the 1990s. The cartoon offers a satirical look at the white-collar office life of engineer Dilbert as he navigates his way through corporate American culture.

So what’s happening?

Adams said this week that 77 newspapers - which he says are owned by one company, Lee Enterprises - have cancelled his syndicated strip. And although he is worth an estimated $75 million, he says the financial impact is “substantial”.

It comes as…?

The introduction of "anti-woke" content into his strips, with Adams noting that he has incorporated the culture into his creations. For example, in recent times, he introduced a new character called “Dave” into his strips, who is black but identifies as white. Adams told Fox News in America: “All of the wokeness and anything that permeated from environmental, social and governance (ESG)…so that stuff made its way into the business world, and then, it became proper content for Dilbert.”

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When will all see that the Left is made up of thugs, bullies, and atheists. They suppress truth and should be exposed as the power hungry thugs that they are. Do not vote for em.

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He works in an entertainment field. If he is not entertaining his audience, then he should expect to lose subscribers.

If you don't like the Lee Enterprise decision, let them know. They will probably be interested to know if you are a subscriber or not, to determine whether or not they should take you seriously.

It seems strange that folks should be raging against those who canceled Dilbert in their family of newspapers, yet call for boycotts of all sorts of other companies for allowing entertainers/employees/athletes to take political stands.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Right has plenty of those too. Don't vote for bullies, liars, and thugs no matter what political persuasion they represent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hear the term but what is being cancelled?

what are the ramifications?

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not clear the criteria for the cancellation. The newspaper company is drastically reducing its number of comics, and other casualties include “Family Circus,” “Beetle Bailey” and “Blondie.” (Some of the papers are dumping comics completely). Not sure how they fit into the "anti-woke" meme that Adams is pushing. My guess is that surveys found those comics were less read than the others or that they cost more.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is true. Adams is interpreting it as Wokeism. But the official position of Lee Industries is that they give no good reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another advocate of Democrats remaining in office. This is the party of corruption, as per Hunter Biden, and the Speaker's husband stock insight. They attacked fossil fuel and fueled inflation. They silence opponents and have weaponized the DOJ and FBI. Tens of thousands of Americans died due to the Fentanyl coming across the open border of Biden.

9. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you slice two pages of comics to a half page, there's more than ideology going on. Like most newspaper decisions, it's about money (or lack of it).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow.

Do you want to actually address the text you quoted or do you just want to rant?

Do you realize that Scott Adams has described himself as “left of Bernie Sanders” and is not a supporter of Trump’s policies?

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone knows you are ignoring the position taken and attempting to change the subject to my supposed faults.

When will all see that the Left is made up of thugs, bullies, and atheists. They suppress truth and should be exposed as the power hungry thugs that they are. Do not vote for em. ​

Two wrongs do not make a right....

12. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You went off on a rant because I pointed out that no one should support bullies, liars, and thugs.

Do you advocate supporting bullies, liars, and thugs in general, or do you only support them when you agree with their politics?

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another insult post against me, still ignoring the subject. Do not let the left hide from their record of bulling, falsifying and thuggery.

14. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not an insult, a question.

Do you support bullying, lying, or thuggery from anyone? This should be easy to answer.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another effort to change the subject to me, rather than address the bullies, falsifiers, and thugs on the Left.

Yet another advocate of Democrats remaining in office. This is the party of corruption, as per Hunter Biden, and the Speaker's husband stock insight. They attacked fossil fuel and fueled inflation. They silence opponents and have weaponized the DOJ and FBI. Tens of thousands of Americans died due to the Fentanyl coming across the open border of Biden. Do not vote for any of them.​

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our newspaper (Syracuse, NY) is now being published in Harrisburg, Pa. Yet, it appears they have added a few comics and instead of just one advice coloum - they now have three. In addition - there are two pages of crosswords and other puzzles.

17. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have addressed it. I don’t support bullies, liars, or thugs. However, you seem unable to make the same claim. You want me to only be against it coming from “the Left” instead of people you like. You seem triggered by the question. That’s quite telling.

I am for honest people who love this country and respect the Constitution. I don’t choose who those people are by party affiliation. FYI, I am not a Democrat.

And how is this related to the OP?

So are you also opposed to Scott Adams, who claims to be “to the left of Bernie Sanders” and does not support Trump’s policies? He has also expressed his admiration for Colin Kaepernick and his non-violent protest at NFL games.

That sounds like what you folks like to label “woke.”

18. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since Van has apparently decided to bail out of this discussion because he doesn't want to answer want to go on the record regarding support for bullies, liars, and thugs on the political right, I wanted to complete my contribution to this subject.

I expected Van to challenge my claim that Scott Adams describes himself as "to the left of Bernie Sanders" and not a Trump supporter, but he did not. Therefore, I did not have a good opportunity to reference this excellent interview with Scott Adams from a few years ago, where he discusses a lot of contemporary issues on a podcast, "The Jordan Harbinger Show: 546: Scott Adams | Persuasion in a World Where Facts Don’t Matter." It's an interesting discussion of the ways the public is persuaded -- using Donald Trump's methods as a primary example -- and how to recognize when someone is attempting to manipulate you. I think it would be quite helpful to those on Baptistboard.com, even if you don't agree with everything he says (I know I don't).

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again we have a poster claiming the ability to read minds.
    This poster argues that because of bullies, liars and thugs or on the political right, he can advocate for those on the lett. But he did not address "two wrongs do not make a right."
    This poster wants to change the subject to me. So he charges me with "bail out." Go figure.

Yet another advocate of Democrats remaining in office. This is the party of corruption, as per Hunter Biden, and the Speaker's husband stock insight. They attacked fossil fuel and fueled inflation. They silence opponents and have weaponized the DOJ and FBI. Tens of thousands of Americans died due to the Fentanyl coming across the open border of Biden. Do not vote for any of them. ​

20. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I made no such claim. You seemed to had bailed out of the conversation after repeatedly falsely attacking me without engaging in anything I have written.

I have never believed such a thing and have clearly and specifically rejected that point of view in this discussion. It is simply a false accusation.

I did not understand it since you didn't clearly tie it to anything. Are you aware that I can't read minds?

No, I've been trying to get you to agree that we shouldn't support bullies, liars, and thugs (an off-topic claim you made -- without evidence -- that only left-wingers "cancel" people and institutions).

Have you noticed that you were the one who first made me the focus of the discussion -- "Yet another advocate of Democrats remaining in office." (a misrepresentation of my views)?

When you don't rationally engage in a conversation; accuse me of the things you are doing; and go silent for 36 hours when I press you to take a basic ethic stance; it's a reasonable assumption that you have bailed out.

Since you are so engaged now, tell me, do you support bullies, liars, and thugs?

Again, this should be an easy answer. If you start talking about "the Left" again, it's clear your ethics are strictly partisan.