Disingenuous Christianity

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

What riddles douth thou speak brave night ? :laugh:

2. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh i get it now! Its God testing your endurance....Job comes to mind here.

3. Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Riddles?? More at testing our surrender to His will, not ours--no rose gardens in this world. "Well done" will not be according to our paradigms.

Most of us have not put all on the altar--some do not even know where the altar might be. It is certainly not in temples made with hands.

Get involved with Bread of Life and Living Water.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

4. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have spoken to my brother who was a pastor in PA at one time about starting a church in my community---and he agrees that its really a dead spiritual area devoid of God. But he isnt ready to roll up his sleeves & get to it. I am only recently regenerated & Im still shaking my Rat Ba****d personna so I doubt I could swing starting a church at this point. But Im getting the call & Im fighting it. I would prefer just studing under someone but there isnt anybody with the ability to take me under wing. and I know you indicated a Skype thing but I dont even have a home PC right now....this is a business computer. So here I am, in my home town, knowing that Christ needs to be here ....but there isnt a real church doing the business of being completely Christ driven. Oh well, God will provide.

5. tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm 3rd generation PB and although I appreciate your zeal of a new believer I don't think you realize how a PB Church starts. It starts house to house and down through out the history of our country that is always how it started. A small group meets and shares their faith daily with prayer and supplication and others see or hear of the their belief in the Lord and join in to hear and learn more. Over time they grow and grow and in the Lords time a minister is sent from the Lord and a body of believers in constituted in to a church body with Articles of Faith and rules of practice. In my study of the history of our people in this country that is always how its been done. I just finished reading of a PB Elder and other preacher brethren who constituted churches from east to west in the 1900 and that is exactly how it was done. My church was started the same way by two sisters raised in the PB Church who moved to California in the 30's and started a study group in their home and invited other to study with them. A minister came and constituted not only the church in San Diego but him and other ministers established churches throughout California. It all started as all PB Churches have started house to house and the Lord giveth the increase!... Brother Glen

6. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for that glen ....and I understand how its done....however I would probably not be the best person to accomplish getting it started....Im too headstrong & too confrontational....Plus Im new to this whole Born Again thing. Too much scoundrel in me ....though the heart is slowly changing. You wouldnt point to me and say to yourself, "ahhh there goes a Christian!!":D Rather you are more likely to point and say...."That's a Christian?!?" :laugh:

7. tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree my brother but look at Paul... When he was Saul he was a preying man... Ah but on the road to Damascus he met Christ and after 3 days with Annanias he became a praying man!... And that my brother in the Lord is the difference!... I've yet in my walk with the Lord in all the sermons I've heard any minister boast about his personal goodness... Scoundrel, unworthy, why did the Lord ever call me to this work... I heard similar stories of minister who were like Jonah... Send someone else!... I've heard it all my brother and have been through it in my life... The Lord will have his way!... Question is how many trips do you want to take to the Holy Woodshed?... To someone who has been there I don't pull any punches... Brother Glen

8. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now you must understand I say this with as much concern for these people you speak of as anyone. Based on what you have posted here what has happened is these people have put regular church attenders in an impossible position.

Your post basically says "I am offended and I plan to be offended no matter what and there is nothing you can do about it."

What I struggle to understand is how these folks and yourself have set yourselves up as judges over these people they have been offended by when it is very likely that they would not want to be held to the very same standard they are using to judge.

We all need to find a little more humility and not make it about us but rather about Christ. Hanging on to offenses does not allow for that.

9. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No it doesnt

No it doesnt

No I havent

well maybe with some "hope & change" :laugh:

10. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why?

Sure, the attitude is I do not like what those people have done and now I am going to take my ball and go home. God will understand.

Sure you have. No one is perfect and we are all just as full of errors and offending people as anyone else.

Is what you want to see happening in the works?

11. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glen....LOL, Me ....ya want me?!? My wife laughs at that.....a killer, a scoundrel, a fornicator, a back stabber, a drinker & a .....and that's on a good day. :laugh:

Now that would be an intentional act of God!!!!

12. tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like a preacher told me one time Brother Glen it looks to me like you are having pity party!

I have the solution... Go to store and buy a white T shirt!... In big bold letters in black on the front print... SINNER!... Don't hide it put it out there!... Take that same shirt and on the back in blazing red in bigger bolder letters print SAVED!... btw don't just buy one shirt buy one for every day of the week... As you walk down the street people will see you coming and going!... Just call me Eliphaz!... Bildad!... Or Zophar!... Brother Glen

13. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cause nobodies ever in an impossible situation....not if its of their own making. Except cancer....lung cancer would be an exception.

I don't like the analogy.... Conversely these people could acknowledge that they messed up and apologize. One of the three Presbyterian ministers called me back & apologized for a legalistic thing he did after reflection. That took allot & I appreciated it. I hold no grudge against that man....we are all human after all. It is the intentional affronts that I personally disdain.

Mark.....its not about me. I left that rifle on the battlefield a while ago.

14. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL....sorry but Im on a budget!

15. tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hope I made your day!... Gotta go!... Life is calling... Brother Glen

16. Thousand Hills Active Member

Jesus didn't say follow my followers, he said follow me. Pointing others to Christ is all that is necessary brother. You realize your a 'scoundrel' and he saved you in spite of it, that genuine honesty and your heart for other 'scoundrel's' is what those in your community need.

BTW, did you get a chance to read the book I recommended a couple months back?

17. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe, but it fits.

Ok but you are being disobedient because you are waiting on people to act. You cannot control them only you.

It is when you do not attend church because you have been burned.

18. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So let me get this straight....you want me to attend a church that I deem inappropriate.....all because they claim to be a church? With that logic then I can open up my search to Roman Catholicism, 7 Day Adventists & PCUSA.

19. Rebel Active Member

You don't need a minister to constitute a church, not in the Baptist tradition anyway.

20. Rebel Active Member

Brother, why don't you and your wife start having meetings for worship. Read the Bible, pray, sing, teach, preach, whatever and however the Lord leads. That's how the early Quakers did it. Invite others to join in. Maybe God will raise up a preacher in your midst. Just start where you are with what you have and who you have. You can write your own statement of faith. That is truly a Baptist way to go about it.