1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Dispensationalism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Humble Disciple, Jul 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    HD: "Please proceed with the evidence that a pre-trib rapture was taught anywhere in church history before the 1830s. I'm still waiting. I'd be happy to see it and learn."

Ps-Ephraem Syrus, 7th century AD:

"For all the saints and the elect of God are gathered prior to the tribulation that is to come. They are taken to the Lord lest they see the confusion that is to overwhelm the world because of our sins."

—The Byzantine Apocalyptic Tradition (U. Of Calif. Press, 1985, p. 210).

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right about "church" history. History is always written by victors in carnal/secular warfare, What are called "churches" in history are organisations that have usurped power. The true church, comprising faithful believers is usually outside the organised churches, and its humble members are persecuted. If they write their own history, their books have been burned, or confiscated and hidden in the Vatican library.

No. The number one identify of the true church is preaching the Gospel of repentance and baptism into Christ.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why does not the word of God call the Gospel that?

4. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why didn't Jesus or the apostles teach it? They taught the exact opposite.

5. Humble Disciple

Humble Disciple Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason why it's called "Pseudo-Ephraem" is because Ephraem himself didn't write it. Is this the best evidence you have?

How will Christians be prepared for the coming tribulation if they just expect to be raptured anyway, before anything bad happens? Christians have been martyred throughout church history.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    How many years were there between the 1830s and the Protestant Reformation? Why did it take so many years before anyone advocated a pre-tribulation rapture?

7. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    Belief in premillenialism was common in the early church, yet none of the early church fathers taught a pre-tribulation rapture, and neither did they teach that animal sacrifice will be re-instituted during the millennium. That would go against Jesus being the once and for all sacrifice, and suggests that the Jewish people don't need Jesus' blood to be saved.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is your view of repentance?

9. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this has become the Pseudo-Puritan Board.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    HD : "The reason why it's called "Pseudo-Ephraem" is because Ephraem himself didn't write it. Is this the best evidence you have?"

No question it was wrongly attributed to Ephraem Syrus, who died in AD 373 (4th century). As pointed out in my post, the material quoted was written sometime in the 7th century AD,— which itself shows that the position was held within church history *before* AD 1830 (which was your challenge to find, right?). I rest my case.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you have is one quote based on a misattributed author. That's not exactly the basis of forming a sound theology. Have you read the text from Pseudo-Ephraem in its entirety, to make sure it's not being quoted out of context?

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Given the lengthy quote, it is hardly something that could be taken "out of context".

And yes, I trust the scholars and the university press that published their work to have passed sufficient peer review.

Are you just unhappy to find a 7th century source predating your 1830 cutoff?

13. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    Historical theology isn't based on one pseudonymous source, which may or may not have been quoted out of context.

The early Christians were under intense persecution. Anyone who converted to the faith knew what they were getting into. They didn't expect to be raptured before anything bad happens.

#33 Humble Disciple, Jul 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The book can be read online. Search for it. The author was Paul Alexander, late professor at Berkeley. Book then edited by Prof. Dorothy Abrahamse (Cal State, Long Beach). Neither had any theological axe to grind regarding the point being made by Ps-Ephraem or any other apocalyptic writer cited.

Are you *seriously* charging a reputable scholar with having taken the quote out of context to somehow suit his agenda? And all this just because it doesn't fit your preferred theological/historical narrative? Really?

My point was simple: to show the view was held by at least one person prior to 1830, which was your challenge. That has been done.

15. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a pseudonymous work, it could have been made up my anyone, including a heretic. On the other hand, we have the vast testimony of the early church fathers in favor of a post-tribulation rapture.

16. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another problem with dispensationalism is its sharp distinction between Israel and the church.

The Greek word for church in the New Testament, ekklesia, is the same word that the Septuagint uses for the nation of Israel:

The early Christians understood the church as the fulfillment of true Israel, with unbelieving Jews no longer part of it.

"Eklektos" is also the term from which we get the English word "elect," because the early Christians believed themselves to be chosen by God, just like ancient Israel.

#36 Humble Disciple, Jul 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    My experience with foes of Dispensationalism is that they tend to get all of their information from other foes of Dispensationalism and shy away from checking out the sources themselves. With that in mind I feel this is a waste of time but in defense of the faith I proceed...

Two books I have and really like. The first is titled Ancient Dispensational Truth 2018 James C. Morris This is an informative 139 pager where he gives in context quotes for several ECFs prior to 400 AD that indicate a "Dispensational" understanding. Among them are Irenaeus, Tertullian, Cyprian, Jerome, Agustin and Crysostem.

Dispensationalism Before Darby - Seventeenth-Century and Eighteenth-Century English Apocalypticism 2015 William C. Watson. The fact that this well researched book has been around for 6 years and has been ignored by reformed A-MILS/Post Mils is all the proof that one needs to state that those who repeat that Dispensationalism is a 19th century invention are simply uninformed and happy to be so.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like to say that you should quit while you still have your dignity but it appears that your train has already left the station.

19. Jec81

Jec81 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Corinthians 9:17 or if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.
    Ephesians 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
    Ephesians 3:2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:
    Colossians 1:25 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;

administration (of a household or estate); specifically a (religious) "economy": - dispensation stewardship.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  20. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's a difference between a "dispensation" and "dispensationalism."

Dispensationism is a distinct theology, originating in the 1830s, that draws a sharp distinction between Israel and the church, teaches a pretribulation rapture, and that animal sacrifice will be re-instituted during the millennial kingdom.

Dispensationalists are my Christian brothers and sisters. I care more about your love for Jesus than the rightness of your theology. But to pretend that dispensationalism is the default interpretation of the New Testament ignores 1800 years of church history.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.