1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Divorce and Remarriage before Salvation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Zaac, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Is that another selfie? I must say you're quite talented.Thumbsup

And if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm EXTREMELY BIBLICALLY conservative.

Now that whole libtard moniker might just apply to YOUR views of Scripture. But certainly not mine.:)

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Having gone to the home of a woman who had just been beaten so badly her jaw was broken, her arm was broken, she had a severe concussion and was burned on her arm from her darling fireman husband throwing boiling water on her - all while her 4 children watched - yes, I would recommend in some cases divorce is the only safe choice. In this case the man went to jail (thank heavens the cops got there as he was beating her) and he served 4 years. This was over 10 years ago and the wife has no desire to remarry and she just needed to work to get her life back together. Of course she didn't work because her husband wouldn't allow her to leave the house so it took quite some time for her to be able to find a job, support her family and to begin to rebuild her life. That was the only time I ever counseled anyone "Divorce him" but I stand by that call. Fortunately, other times abuse was involved, it was not as severe and with a lot of counseling and a time of separation, the marriages were able to be restored. Yes, some feel she was sinning by divorcing her husband but I can guarantee you that she and her children would more than likely be dead right now. I'd rather be wrong in this and have someone still alive than to risk a life.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Except that Jesus declared the woman at the well's marriages all legitimate. Does Jesus believe that polygamy is OK or did He see that her second husband was a legitimate husband meaning that the first husband was no longer her husband?

4. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That isn't what I've read of the woman at the well.. I must have struck a sore point with you. Maybe you've remarried and are trying to justify your self. scripture speaks for It's self. It never contradicts it's self.. When a man and woman are joined in holy matrimony they become one flesh and remain so and for a good reason. You can't be one flesh with a woman and turn around and become one flesh with another You can only be one flesh with one woman. Christ never declared that the woman at the well marriages were legitimate. That you made up your self.
    MB

5. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    annsni;
    A few scriptures you might want to read.

Mat 5:31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:

Mat 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Mat 5:33 Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:

MB

6. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe it's none of my business, but I'd prefer we not play the assumption/accusation game. Discussion is possible without resorting to this.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Marriage is more than two people not having sex with anyone else.

In the same sermon that Christ talked about divorce, He also said this:

resist not evil.

Of course it's ludicrous to think that Christ was commanding us to submit to all forms of evil, or commanding us to suffer violence when we have the power to resist it, or forbidding us to seek remedy through the courts. We are to love our neighbors as ourselves, and allowing ourselves or our neighbors to be victimized is not love.

"Ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time . . ."

Who were they of old time? Moses and the Prophets? No the rabbis. It's how they taught the Torah. "Ben Simon ben Schuster said: 'Thou shalt not commit adultery.' This is how you don't commit adultery . . . "

(You will not find "Thou shalt love thy neighbor and hate thine enemy," in the Law. It was part of the rabbinical tradition that Christ was refuting.)

So when Christ said, Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery, he was rescuing the institution from the corruptions of the traditions that said a man who was unhappy in his union for any reason could give his wife a writing of divorcement, and who thought that his attraction to younger women was a justification.

It's ludicrous to think that Christ is commanding us to remain married to one who had become an abuser, a criminal, or who is otherwise seriously neglecting or transgressing the union, simply because he or she hasn't had sex with someone else.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 12:7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Ann I too have seen some absolutely horrific situations involving not just the wives, but the kids too. Broken bones, shootings, one lady was in a coma for a bit, kids abused to the point of near death.

We definitely do everything we can to get those individuals out of harms way. But we, as the Church, and Ministers of the Gospel of Jesus Christ don't dare counsel the wives to do anything that cannot be backed up by Scripture.

Unless you were privy to information about him that told you he had done one of the things for which Scripture allows a divorce, you were wrong to do so.

It's always easy to say just get a divorce. And that's why they are so prevalent amongst the lost. But it should not be that way with Christians, nor should Christians recommend such a thing for non-BIBLICAL reasons.

In her case, why did you recommend divorce as opposed to separation as you did with others???

Could she not have just stayed separated from him?

10. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For me it isn't the divorce in particular that is sin but the having of another woman being adultery.
    MB

11. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The whole verse said this;

Mat 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
    MB

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I will help you: "For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly."

I see that she has had 5 husbands. Considering this one that she had was not her husband, I'd guess there was at least one divorce in there.

Nope. Happily married to the first man I loved for 30 years and still going strong.

I did? Once again, look above at John 4:18 that I posted. I see Jesus said "thou hast had five husbands". I'd consider those legitimate marriages if Jesus considered them so.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Because she had been separated from him before but he said that as long as she was married to him, she belonged to him and he could do what he wanted. This was not the first offense. It was only through a divorce that she could finally get the protection and safety she needed for herself and the children.

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

God is sovereign to forgive our trespasses and I'm sure He will when we ask. Sometimes, dependent upon the situation, we feel that we have to do some things in a manner not prescribed by Scripture.

I believe this is perhaps one of the reasons Scripture says that love covers a multitude of sin.

I don't personally fault you or anyone for doing that which they believe at the time is necessary to save someone's life.

I just don't think we should say that our way was right if God says otherwise.

He, again, being sovereign can still make a beautiful bouquet out of the weeds.

15. Kevin

Kevin Active Member

Just because you are close minded, doesn't mean you are "EXTREMELY BIBLICALLY conservative" as you claim. It just means you hurt others while you bully them into accepting YOUR interpretation of the Bible, and you are not going to be confused with facts.

Just like the little saying

The Bible said.
    I believe it (as far as it has been correctly interpreted by Zaac)
    That makes it so.

Yes, I know the whole second line doesn't matter, but is there to make a point.

And the contradictions just in the Zaac interpretation, just in this and the other thread, those don't matter

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Honestly, this was only the second time we ever recommended divorce. The other time I will just say that this woman had clear Biblical reasons to divorce and again, it was a matter of safety but in this case it was health safety. But it was so cool how God used another illness in this woman's life to protect her when she was unaware of what her husband was doing. We have counseled a lot of couples and these were the only 2 times that divorce was recommended. In the rest of them, we worked with the couple and as long as they were willing to work on it, they survived. Some walked away from counseling, deciding that they just wanted out and we couldn't condone that. :( It is heartbreaking to see a marriage end.

17. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't say a word about her having divorced any of them. .
    You said earlier;
    Not true He did not. We can see all kinds of possibilities. They could have all died. we do not know.
    May God keep blessing your marriage. I've been married to my wife for 41 years and I wouldn't trade her for all the money in the world.
    I never Guess about what the Lord is saying, truth does just fine as it is . Still He did say.
    Mat 5:31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:

Mat 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Mat 5:33 Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:
    MB

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It doesn't. It could very well be that each of them passed away but we see her "having" another man who is not her husband. That most likely would not be the practice of one who is faithful to marriage.

Thank you and you too. It's wonderful to be married to a true partner in life. We've had a lot of ups and downs in life but never in our marriage. We've been very blessed in that regard.

I agree that marriage is sacred but to say that a second marriage is not legitimate does not accurately reflect the reality of Scriptures. Is it God's best? I don't know. It is depending on the circumstances. But I still do see that "saving for the cause of fornication" and as such, I will still not fault a wife or husband leaving their unfaithful spouse. It is not the default result of the sin but it is a possibility and a choice. Having seen the destruction of the marriage due to infidelity, I just can't across the board say "Stay" to every spouse of an adulterer.

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Your comments can go right up there with those who call me a Bible Thumper. You sound like the atheists and the homosexuals now.

Lies and more lies. And you really do sound like one of those folks who think your POLITICAL conservatism makes you Biblically conservative.

The more you talk, the more your Biblical liberalism shows.

At least I deal with what's on the page. You seem to like to add stuff.

Considering that you have shown yourself to have a penchant for adding to the word, I'm sure a lot of things look like contradictions to ya. That's what happens you try to make YOUR opinion into God's word.

20. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed, though I have seen pacifists take it to that extreme. Well, I don't know about the court part. I am not a pacifist, so I won't claim to know what they teach in all situations.