1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Divorce and Remarriage

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 1689Dave, Apr 21, 2018.

1. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but we must remain single for as long as they are alive.

2. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is what the Reformed believe. But this is why Jesus pointed out that it is adultery even though the State doesn't recognize it as such. Only death breaks the marriage bond.

Mark 10:11, 12: And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and many another, committeth adultery against her. And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

Luke 16:18: Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery; and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.

I Corinthians 7:10, 11: And unto the married I command, yet not I but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband: But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.

I Corinthians 7:39: The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.

Romans 7:2, 3: For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. So then if while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.
    The prohibition of remarriage in these passages is absolute.

3. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ‘Her which is put away’ points to the fact the woman was put away for sexual immorality.

Some Pharisees asked Jesus ”Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any reason at all?” What was His response? ”And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.” So, if someone divorces his wife, and does so based SOLELY on the fact she was unfaithful to him, then he has not committed adultery. She was the one who committed adultery. He has every right to put her away.

Apostle Paul reiterated this when he wrote ”But to the rest I say, not the Lord, that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he must not divorce her. And a woman who has an unbelieving husband, and he consents to live with her, she must not send her husband away. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they holy. Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases,[1 Cor. 7:12-15a]

Reconciliation, in my opinion, should always be sought. However, the offended party, in the case of sexual infidelity, has a biblical right to divorce and remarry.

4. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, if your wife cheats on you, you should be punished, too?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that unforgiveness is as bad as adultery. So both lose in this situation. But Paul says only death breaks the marriage bond. And as I said in Matthew 19:9, Jesus teaches that the innocent wife commits adultery when she remarries, even though her adulterous husband should have activated the "except clause" in her behalf when he committed adultery. But he didn't.

6. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would not consider knowing the truth as punishment. But would continue as many do serving the Lord is possibly an even greater capacity. I knew a little old lady who's husband was a scoundrel. He divorced her, committed adultery. But she remained single and went on to be a tremendous missionary for the Lord.

7. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But in 1 Cor. 7:15, Paul says that if the unbelieving person leaves, let them leave. That Brother or Sister is not under bondage in such cases. If one is not under bondage, they’re free.

You can’t make someone stay just like you can’t make someone remain faithful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    But Paul also says Romans 7:2, 3: For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. So then if while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

So he is not giving license to commit adultery, he's saying let her go, you are bound to stay with her..................

9. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that’s good for her. But you can’t put every person under the same blanket statement.

Look, I am all for adulterous marriages being reconciled. But many won’t seek reconciliation. Why punish both for the sin of one?

I’ll use this as an example. Say your wife is a raging alcoholic. The police pull you over and arrest you for drunk driving. You tell them you haven’t dropped a drink ( ;) ) in 20 years. They tell you it doesn’t matter, your wife is an alcoholic, so they take you to jail due to her drunkenness. You are putting both innocent and guilty ppl under the same punishment.

10. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am talking about the faithful spouse. If someone cheats, they sinned, not the faithful spouse. Jesus plainly stated “except for sexual immorality”. How is that hard to grasp?

11. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not the same thing. It is a blessing that God removes an adulterous spouse from us if they divorce us for any number of reasons as they do today. We can still forgive them and move on. But as Jesus says, no one has left wife, children, lands and such for his sake that they will not be compensated.

12. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not. Why does the innocent wife and the innocent second husband commit adultery if the "except clause" means what many think it means? If it were true, she could marry without the charge of adultery.

13. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I am bowing out. Nothing further to be gained here. Have blessed day, Brother Dave.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not affecting our relationship, but our fellowship, and yes, there is a sin unto death even Christians can do....

15. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I have seen this. A Christian woman living a dismal life trapped in an adulterous marriage with kids and money problems. Her husband died and she came to life and lived out her years in happy devotion to Christ.

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same here. We are just doing debate ping pong.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The one who did not commit the unfaithfulness has NO restrictions placed upon them from the Lord, as their partner violated the covenant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are not taking into consideration what Paul has already stated:

1 Corinthians 7:39
    King James Version (KJV)

39 The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.

This speaks of normal circumstances, this...

1 Corinthians 7:15
    King James Version (KJV)

15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

He has made it clear a brother (husband) or sister (wife) is not bound in such a case as having an unbelieving spouse who wishes to leave the marriage.

We create much confusion in Paul's teaching by ignoring what he has said:

1 Corinthians 7
    King James Version (KJV)

2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

8 I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I.

9 But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

If a woman, through no fault of her own, has a husband who is not a believer who wishes to leave the marriage, and, we ignore what Paul has said in such a case, then the believing spouse who let's the unbelieving spouse leaves is then left to the likelihood of sin against God.

In such a case, they are not bound. They are not under bondage.

God bless.

19. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You keep doing this. When you are confronted with what the bible says your invent some nonsensical objection that does not even come close to addressing the issue.

The scoundrel divorced her. She had not committed adultery. So his divorcing her did not fit the exemption so they were still married and as they were still married she was not eligible to remarry.

20. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only time the innocent party would be ineligible to remarry would be if the divorce was NOT for adultery. Then they would still be married. If she committed adultery he would be free to marry but she would not.

I am not sure why you are having such difficulty understanding this rather simple concept.

Divorced because she committed adultery. He is eligible to remarry.

Divorced for any other reason. They are still married and neither can marry again.

• Agree Agree x 1