1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do Ungodly Sinners Have Guardian Angels?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Jan 21, 2012.

1. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

I am not seeing any reference to personal guardians....sorry.

You are stretching it alot, but most people do because they WANT to see guardians, even when none exist.

How do you get the concept of having a personal guardian angel out of these verses?

John

2. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Being a future heir of salvation, we have, according to Heb., angels that serve as ministering spirits. It does not use the word 'guardian' I suppose, but that would be part of ministering to me.

I see no indication in Scripture that God sends His angels to watch over the wicked, but He does send them to watch over children, would you not agree?

3. seekingthetruth

The verses in Hebrews are actually speaking more about Christ's relationship with angels than ours. The jews wanted proof that Jesus had more authority then the angels, saying that authority would prove His divinity, because only God can command the angels.

Verse 13 is simply saying that Jesus can order any angel at any time to sit at His right hand while He defeats His enemies, and then make them a footstool. It was the custom of the day for the victors of a battle to place their feet on the necks of the fallen enemy. This verse has good information, and does help in understanading the power Jesus has over the angels, but it has nothing to do with angels being personal guardians.

Verse 14 is simply saying that the angels are ministers for Christ, and that He sends them out to minister to His people. Again, this verse is about the authority Christ has over the angels, it is not about us at all.

However, it still does not support the idea of a 'guardian angel'. It never says the angels are assigned to us, it simply says that they minister to us when Jesus sends them.

These two verses are about the authority Jesus has over the angels.....it has nothing to do with them being "guardians"

Again, it is a myth.

John

4. seekingthetruth

It doesnt say Jesus sends angels to watch over the children, it says that the angels intercede on behalf of the children to God. I am sure that the angels are sent to minister to children as well as adults, but that still doesnt make them "guardians"

John

5. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I would agree with those who say individual Christians don't each have their own personal "guardian angel".

But even supposing they did, what difference would it make? The bible reveals the individual identity of just a few angels, such as Gabriel. We are not to pray to angels, so whatever difference does it make to me whether God sends the same angel each time to minister to me, or a different one?

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

You are missing the point. Jesus spoke of little children and "their angels". These little children do seem to have angels assigned to them. The question is, does God assign angels to protect wicked depraved and lost little sinners? Where do scriptures ever teach angels are sent to minister or protect the lost?

That is the issue.

7. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I am really sorry that I missed the point, Winman. Thank you for putting me on track. :)

I think the answer, as so often, is to be found in the context. Matthew 18.10 doesn't exist in a vacuum. In Matthew 18.3, Jesus has already said that unless peoople become as little children, they cannot even enter the kingdom of heaven. Then in Matthew 18.6 He says (my emphasis):

"But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea."
    Now, whether He is there talking specifically of children who believe in Him, or of those have become as little children, one thing is certain: He is not talking of "lost little sinners". Why then should we think that just a few verses later, in verse 18, He should suddenly expand "little ones" to include those who don't believe in Him?

8. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Why any one would refer to children or little ones in any context as lost sinners is beyond Scripture and reason, but it happens every day in the Church world. Think original sin.

9. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

God lives outside what your reason thinks. He doesn't bow to your logic, reason, what you think or feel. He's God. Instead, He's given to us His Word. Your reason about why you think it unfair and doesn't matter in the light of Gods revealed truth. He has spoken, you deny to believe it because of your reason.

10. JarJo

JarJo New Member

The lost sinners need a guardian angel more than the saved holy people. They're in much more danger. So maybe.

11. seekingthetruth

Let me explain my problem with this.

How many times have you heard someone say "The bible says that God helps those that help themselves"?. When in fact the Bible says no such thing, it is a myth.

Same thing here. Nowhere does the Bible say that we are assigned a guardian angel, it is also a myth.

Now, if someone wants to believe that they have a guardian angel, then i have no problem with that...as long as they don't state it as being biblical. Believe it if you want to but saying that the Bible says it is just wrong.

Please dont attribute things to the Bible that are not in it.

John

12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see no reason to think anyone has a 'guardian angel.' If I have any, they must be as worthless as tits on a boar hog.

#32 Alcott, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012
  13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Perhaps "guardian" may be a superfluous word. But what does the Bible teach about angels?

Hebrews 1:14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

A lot more useful than your description.

14. seekingthetruth

My pastor "ministers" to me but he is not my "gaurdian'

Show me where it says that God assigns us a personal angel to guard us, please

John

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I didn't say he did. I said "guardian" may be a superfluous word. In other words it may not be needed. What the Bible says is that the angels are sent to minister or to serve us, that are heirs of salvation. In what ways they do that it does not specifically say. I know that many times the Lord has protected me in such providential ways that otherwise I would be a dead man, were it not for him (or perhaps his angels sent to minister to me). We don't know exactly in what manner God uses his angels to minister to us, we just know that they do. The Bible sets forth this truth; by faith I accept it.

16. seekingthetruth

I agree with you 100%. What I am arguing with is the idea that God has assigned us all a personal gaurdian angel.. the Bible does NOT say this, and it is wrong to teach it that it does.

The OP was a question of whether God assigns guardian angels to everyone, even the lost. My contention is that the idea of guardian angels, even for saved peole is a myth, and should NOT BE TAUGHT OR ACCEPTED AS BILBLE TRUTH!

It is simply not in the Bible

John

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Obviously unsaved people do not have a "guardian angel."
    They "minister" to the saved.
    Their ministry, depending on how you might define "guard" may or may not include that aspect. However, if the modern connotation of the word leads people astray then I guess it is better not to use it.

18. seekingthetruth

My point is that we should never add to the bible. The concept of a "guardian angel" assigned to me personally may give me some false sense of comfort, but it is not supported by scripture.

If it it aint in the Bible then we shouldnt represent it as biblical.

John

19. seekingthetruth

I was reading your post again, and noticed this statement by you...

"What the Bible says is that the angels are sent to minister or to serve us, that are heirs of salvation. In what ways they do that it does not specifically say."

It doesnt specifically say that the angels wont cook my dinner, so can I assume they will?

Just saying

John

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

They will not do for us the things that we cannot do for ourselves.
    Even Jesus knew this fact.
    The devil tempted him to throw himself down from the temple and let the angels catch him.
    His answer?
    "Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God!"