1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do you believe in the scriptures being Infallable?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Yeshua1, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

...I hope it's not Psalm 12.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalm 100:5 For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.

John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not terribly strong proof texts.

I think we can make the argument from God's character and His demonstrated desire to communicate with humankind, but I'd love to have something more explicit.

Thanks!

4. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh huh...pegged the OP from the start...a KJVO witch hunt.

Until about two years ago I was in that cult. Please come out from them. I am begging you...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What opened your eyes to the realization you were believing a lie?

6. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TBH...

When I had gotten into it with DarrellC and made myself look foolish under my 'convicted1' username, I made this username and started posting with the NIV when I was still KJVO/P(used it to try to throw ppl off my trail as I was embarrassed by my actions)...I wasn't entirely in the 'O' group, but thought other versions NOT KJV were inferior. I began reading the NIV(though I had one and thought it was pretty good...still thought it was not in the KJV's league). I then began reading the YLT and it was good, too. Then began reading the NASB, and it was good, too. I am now reading through Romans with my ESV, and it is good as well. The KJV I onced solely read barely gets time now.

NIV
    NASB
    YLT
    ESV
    KJV

That is how I place them in regards to my usability...

• Like Like x 3
  7. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So I guess I went from KJVO to KJVP and now to KJVR...'R' means rarely, Brother Jon.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Internet Theologian

You have to read another version 1611 times as penance for being a former KJVO. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I presently use the WEB and EMTV bibles in electronic format (both Byzantine/Majority Text based). I would love to find a printed, bound WEB bible, but as far as I know it is only published in electronic format.

I think the EMTV NT is now available in print, but I would prefer a complete bible.

I am eagerly awaiting an English translation of the Robinson/Pierpont Byzantine Greek New Testament. Maybe an edited version of the NASB (as the WEB, above, is an edited version of the ASV corrected using the Byzantine/Majority text, or the ESV is an edited version of the RSV, but using the Alexandrian/Critical text - it would have been better if the Byzantine/Majority text had been used).

I am quite gratified to see that we now have several Byzantine/Majority text based English bibles available. At one time, not all that long ago, we had only one, the KJV. Then the NKJV followed, but they abandoned the original intent to base it on the Byzantine/Majority text and, instead, used the TR as its base. Now we finally have some better choices. Progress is good. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's better than 1769 times. ;) :D :)

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the explanation. I was just curious as in my experience few caught up in the KJO heresy move out of it (those I know seem to become more deeply entrenched when challenged).

I think it good to remember that these translations are...well...translations.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For some reason, those in the KJVO cult don't seem to know...or realize...what the 'V' means in KJV...

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not SovereignGrace but was a KJVO people until I went off to Bible College.

So, yes the KJVO folks did say I would loose my faith if I went to an Alexandrian Bible College rather than their own (Peter Ruckman's) Pensacola Bible Institute.

I am a graduate of Calvary University in KCMO - definitely Alexandrian but it is accredited with real degrees and they accepted my GI bill payments.

Well I lost my faith not in God but in a man - Peter Ruckman - deceased.

Peter was a rough but brilliant man, no doubt a brother in the Lord but with some serious flaws (IMO).
    He is/was somewhat known as the Father of KJVOism.

Long story short
    My admiration of him crumbled after two doctrines (amongst others) which he promoted concerning the 1611 KJV Bible (The AV - The Authorized Bible which he liked to call it).

I'll give URLs to a site which will give quotes from his books and publications.

I can verify these because I (at one time) had free access to these publications which in later years were no longer offered to all but trusted devotees.

Later these quotes were gleaned from those of us who had sided with the "Alexandrians".

Remarks like "He never said that", "I never said that" were offered as a defense mechanism.
    Again, I tell you that this site offers exactly what he taught as I had access to these publications before they were pulled and like myself these were made public with legally documented citations including here at the BB.

1) Double Inspiration - That the 1611AV Elizabethan English (as he called it) is inspired, and that it corrects the Greek and Hebrew.

2) Advanced Revelation - That the AV contains advanced revelations not found in the Greek and Hebrew.

http://www.ruckmanism.org/doubleinspiration
    http://www.ruckmanism.org/advancedrevelation

I still trust the KJV and NKJV over any of the W&H works and derivations thereof but I don't doubt the honesty and trustworthiness of W&H in their efforts to distill out the true NT text.

To this day I prefer the TR derived works (Scrivener 1894 Greek New Testament) over derivations based upon the older uncials: Alexandrinus, Vaticanus and Siniaticus .

Yes, I use modern translations primarily because of the up to date and more acceptable Standard Modern Era English.

The "Straw that Broke the Camels Back" for me was the knowledge of the inclusion of the Apocrypha in the AV (a shock for me, a former Catholic) and the unresolved dispute over which King James Version is the "real" one - Oxford or Cambridge (They have differences - very minor but differences nonetheless)
    "Things which are different are not the same". KJVO mantra.

To my knowledge Peter never gave an answer to "which KJV?" other than - the one I have in my hand -.

To be forthright it was an emotional time for me when he died.

HankD

#93 HankD, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  14. Internet Theologian

Thanks for sharing that Hank.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm a former KJO as well.

I believe the Bible is infallible in it's teaching, it absolutely is our guide. There are translation errors and errors from copying manuscript to manuscript, but none that affect important doctrine.
    I remember reading how the manuscripts agree in 95% - 99% of cases, a far better rate than even the known manuscripts of works such as the Odysee and Illiad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. John I Morris

John I Morris Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If God is perfect and His Word was not given by man, but holy men of God were moved by the Holy Ghost to write. I think that Gods Word is all without error and as complete as it ever will be..

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi John,

It's not God's fault that scribes were sloppy, sleepy, inattentive,clumsy, etc... when copying the original manuscripts.

It is man's fault. Every thing we touch we defile even to cooperating with God to preserve His word.

HankD

18. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi yesua;
    What would be the point in believing in any Bible if you think it has errors in it?
    MB

19. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The original manuscripts and the proof is they were directed by God Him Self.
    MB

20. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you believe the bible has errors in it?