1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you believe that there has been millions and millions of years?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Alive in Christ, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not accusing you of taking any position. I'm speaking from the position of authorial intent. Do I believe that the author of Gen. 1 believed that the earth was created in six literal days? Yes. Do I believe this is an accurate understanding of the origins of earth? No.

I feel there is a greater purpose in Gen. 1, as you have already addressed, but I'm speaking from an historical perspective.

2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yeah, I can go with that.

3. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Thinkingstuff What you are proposing is theistic evolution , correct?

4. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not necissarily. I honestly don't know how God did it. I'm just proposing that a literal interpretation of the Genesis account of creation may be off.

Here is a problem with Evolution. Evolution hasn't really disproven that like things come from like things. For instance Monkeys and man have a common mammalian ancestor according to the theory and DNA is very similar (accounted for by the economy of God). Most evolutionist point to a dinosaur that has feathered wings as a type of missing link. Yet with the study of the Dog we see that all dogs are wolves that have been bred into many different breeds but the creature is still a dog or from the wolf. It didn't evolve into a cat. The feathered dinosaur could definately have been a bird. and we see the many vairiants of that. Which holds true to things producing like things in the bible. there is no real evidence of cross over. Even with man though we are similar with other creatures that were man like we see scientist point to a different ancestor for man than Neanderthals (as an instance). Though micro evolution does seem to accurately reflect what we see in nature I'm not so certain on a larger scale.

I just don't think we should limit God on how he does things. I think the truth is grander and stranger than we could possibly imagine. Also there is the whole time/space thing. Inflation theory comes against this consept as Einstine describes it in his theory of relativity.

5. Plain Old Bill

I take it you are a reader?

6. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I'm looking around cautiously but yes I'm an advid reader.

7. Plain Old Bill

Try a couple of books by Norm Geisler, When critics Ask", and When Skeptics Ask".

8. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sure. Norm Geisler. God it. I'll look for it on amazon.

9. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I was taking a look at "When Skeptics Ask" and see that the work pertaining to this dicussion was small starting around probably p 179. I'm not certain what you mean me to read but I do believe in God. That's not a question I have.

10. Plain Old Bill

One of the books is over 600 pages ,the other is around 350 pages. I noticed you mentioned earlier you have a lot of contact with skeptics and atheists. These two books answer most of their questions. Another good book by Giesler is "I don't have enough faith to be an Atheist", that's about 400 pages. A good book on evolution is the "Evolution HandBook" ,.by Vance Ferral which is over 900 pages. Lots of good stuff there.,Another thing you might want to try CBD online the give good discounts.

#350 Plain Old Bill, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2009
  11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Lot of interest in this thread. But it is well over 30 pages and needs to be closed. Please be feel free to start another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.