1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do You Have the Right to Bear Arms?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jun 9, 2012.

?
  1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    94.4%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the teesny-tiny miniscule times this happens, the dead vote via absentee ballots--photo ID would not stop this sort of fraud.

2. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.

15th amendment. 19th amendment.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Yes, I have the right to bear arms. If there is any doubt, I invite anyone to look at my gun collection. I live on the KY-Ill border. Any state south and west is no problem, however, if one goes across the Ohio River into Illinois, even with a concealed gun license, it is a whole different world. For example, we can carry our pistols in our glove compartment loaded even without a license. Even with a license, the gun in Illinois in a glove compartment has to be unloaded. The best thing to do if traveling in that state is to leave the gun at home. That goes for many states to the north and east of us, except Indiana.

#23 saturneptune, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2012
  4. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In most states....they are jockeying for a photo id to be eligible to receive an absentee. At the polling place, however, it is felonous illegals who are inexplicably voting for liberal democrats...."teensy-tinsy-and miniscule" is irrelevant when speaking of voter fraud....The election thief Al Franken, serves as a perfect example...he was legitimately losing by 1k votes.....he de-frauded his way to a net 300+ votes over his opponent...in a populous state...such as Florida, where I live, that is not possible. In a non-populous State like Minnesota (which still has 2 Senators) like any other State, this matters.

#24 HeirofSalvation, Jun 11, 2012
  5. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In a FEDERAL election, no single citizen has a "right" to vote....it is not in the Constitution. They do in the STATE Constitutions of their respective States. And they may also vote for their Representatives in the House....they should not have been allowed to vote for Senators vis-a-vis the 17th Ammendment. But no individual has the individual right to vote in FEDERAL elections in the Constitution. This was rightly explained in the majority opinion of Bush vs. Gore in 2000.

6. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I like the sign I've seen on homes--"Forget the dog--Beware of OWNER!" Also the one that says, "Protected by Smith and Wesson (sp?).

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where does the Constitution prohibit a non-citizen from voting?.
    15th says you cannot deny voting based on race
    19th says you cannot deny voting based on gender
    26th says you cannot deny voting based on age of those 18 and over.
    Another words, if Mississippi wanted to let 10 - 13 year olds to vote but prohibit 14-17 - that would be within the Constitution.

Again. I ask where does the Constitution prohibit non-citizens from voting?

#27 Salty, Jun 11, 2012
  8. mandym

mandym New Member

Prove that is is only the "teesny-tiny miniscule times this happens".

9. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

It doesn't. That's a matter for the states to decide.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly,

So if California wanted to legally allow non-citizens and/or illegals to vote, I suppose they could pass such a law.

11. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look at the 14th amendment with adjustments made by the Supreme Court decisions.

Unless a person is a citizen, they do NOT have the right to vote.

See clarification here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. ​

12. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can We Return to the Topic....

...of the right to bear arms and your opinion on this right as an American? :praying:

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    YES WE CAN! :thumbs:

But no right is absolute! Even the right to speech - it is illegal to yell fire in a crowded theater.

Likewise, I do believe in some (extremely limited) gun control. ie - mentally disturb, convicted of a violent crime, ect.

14. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Salty....

....you da man!!!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

15. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The answer to the poll depends on who the "you" is, whether it is singular or plural.

I voted "no", assuming that the singular "you" was intended. I believe the framers' intent was for a well-regulated militia. It is to them, as a group, that this right was granted. I do not believe that right was individually granted in the Constitution.

Moreover as a Christian and a citizen of spiritual Zion, I further don't believe we ought to be so fixated on guns as we are. Our Kingdom is not of this world. Neither do we need to apply for a permit or have a waiting period to obtain the weapons of our warfare.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And those weapons were owned, maintained and utilized by the individuals. Todays militia - IE the National Guard of the several States owns, stores (extremely securely) and maintains those weapons.

In addition the true militia of today do not even utilize weapons in training.

Tom, If your family were to be victimize, would you take action to harm or even kill the individual to protect your family?

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Right. Here's the idea. The right to bear arms shall not be infringed so that individuals who have guns can organize and resist unjust forces that seek to take away our rights.

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Tom, I think you are very sharp but I disagree with you here for the following reasons:

1- Jesus not only allowed but exhorted his disciples to bear arms. If it is necessarily not good to do, Jesus would not have done this.

2- Our Kingdom is not of this SINFUL world is the idea there. The world system. Our Kingdom IS quite literally of this world in the sense of planet Earth.
    Our eternal Kingdom is not some mysterious ethereal plane. It is this tangible world made perfect at the Second Advent of Christ.
    This world is OURS. We therefore can feel perfectly comfortable protecting our lives and goods in it.

3- The weapons of our warfare truly are spiritual. But they actually empower us to take this physical world for Christ. We take the earth without unsheathing a sword, but we are certainly not forbidden to protect ourselves with that sword in the process.

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Isn't it strange that they did not follow/practice what you say they intended as they most all carried firearms. Here is an article on the subject.
    http://www.constitution.org/mil/rkba1982.htm

#39 freeatlast, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2012
  20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The burden of proof is on those who say this is a common occurrence. If it is a common occurrence than there should be 100's of examples. It's difficult to prove something that doesn't happen.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1849643&postcount=5