1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do you see Two Different levels of the Holy spirit Among believers today?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by DaChaser1, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No one is starting a fight...this is a debate forum/general discussion forum...
    no one is derailing the thread....

When ideas are posted, they can be believed, expanded on, questioned, or corrected. Dude puts forth ideas that are unbiblical.[in this thread] I ask him to show what he has to support his claims...he offers nothing but ad hominem response??
    That is not acceptable.

PNS....there are many verses used to teach that these revelatory gifts have ceased. I would offer them to you...if you would like to interact with them.
    I welcome any biblical response.
    Let me say for now there are a few ways this doctrine is approached.

1] what were sign gifts?

2] what was there purpose?

3] when , where, and how were they used by God ?

4] apostolic uniqueness

5] a closed canon[rule of scripture}...ie, the faith ...ONCE FOR ALL Delivered to the saints

as an introduction....from the 1689 confession of faith;

2. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

there are many verses used to teach that these revelatory gifts have ceased.

Can you list them? Do they stand on their own or does this teaching need to be explained verse by verse as you go? In other words, if you were to tell a new believer
    "Here is a group of scriptures that tell us the gifts have stopped"

3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    PNS.....
    The verses are many and need some understanding..

you are looking for one or two verses like this....

but that is not the way to understand this issue....
    To come to truth at the very least...all those issues I listed,and more have to be dealt with. Are you familiar with those issues at all..Apostolic uniqueness for example? Do you know which chapters would support the teaching??? Do you know what the teaching is??

it would take a new thread to present it.....that can be done...but not tonight.

PNS...let me say it like this...i can teach pentecostal teaching...inside out. I know about your smith wigglesworth, william branham, alexander dowie, and all the false teachers in our day.
    I can teach the verses and make a better case for it...then Dude....who did not offer one.....i can teach it...but know it is incorrect,and why it is incorrect.

can you present the other side ??? or is the teaching you hold to the only one you have been taught?

4. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Say You...

:thumbsup:

5. plain_n_simple

Yes I can present the other side, and was not taught this in my beginning. Just wanted your take on it, and you are right, it would take another thread. Thanks for the info.

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So dude...have you cleared your inbox yet????

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well..okay...what we can do tommorow is start another thread. I would like for you to present my side of the issue...in other words take the brief outline i offered ...and offer a few verses, or a sentence or two about each idea expressed....i will see what you have on it...then respond if you like...How does that sound?

8. plain_n_simple

Why would I present the opposing side when I have witnessed healing and other gifts? I am going to study your take on it and maybe a Calvinistic veiwpoint if I can find a site on the web. Sorry for getting off the OP friends.

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We should study it because we want to obey GOd's word. I spoke with a woman who was very nice and sincere, who told me that the angel moroni appeared in her living room and assured her that the book of mormon was 100% from god. She also said she saw it. WAS she wrong?
    On what basis would you question her experience? She ...just like you claimed ...she saw it!

#49 Iconoclast, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2012
  10. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Pentacostalists,I know as once was one, would hold that Tongues are given to ALL who have experiencedHoly Ghost baptism, in which by faith and asking of God we would get a fuller measure/empowering to live for God and to witness...

AFTER getting saved, distinct from that intial HS infilling...

problem is they use Acts as proof, and much of that was one time only transistional period !

Also, we are ALL filled to same measure by same Spirit, with either indweelin or refilling aspects, NOT 2 seperate distinct phases!

And IF tongues are for today, the Holy Spirit HIMSELF grants EACH spriitually gift as he so wills us to have them, so not up to Us to get a gift or not, but up to us to use and exercise ones He gives us!

11. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

We believe tht the Lord is still and does heal, but it is a miracle, and based upon HIS WILL when it does happen, NO faith healers gifted to do such!

No sign gifts operate today, as we no longer have ongoing reveltionf from god to us, no offices for Apostles.prophets still for today!

12. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Note, I clarified your post above. As with Baptists being different on various issues (such as having a Private Prayer Language), emphasis on speaking in tongues varies and is expressed differently, by different Pentecostal ministers.

13. plain_n_simple

I could not question it with any real basis. She believes what she saw. I can say that Moroni is not in scripture, and it was more than likely Satan to misguide her. My experience was not an apparition. It was woman who had been deaf since birth. You could yell at the top of your lungs behind her and she would not hear. Over 30 in the church knew her and acknowledged this. After the laying on of hands, the woman now hears perfectly. Was this wrong? No. Was it Satan? Satan does not heal. Satan is trying to destroy. Was it the result of a person with the gift of healing? I do not know. The bible also says that true believers will heal in His name, and that teaching says nothing of the gifts. Can I prove this healing to you? No. So I would not take the position of proving gifts have ceased as a study basis because what I've seen might of been a gift. I'll close here because this is another subject entirely.

#53 plain_n_simple, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2012
  14. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've...

...forwarded the problem to a specail committee, and they assure me it will be fixed soon! :laugh:

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    PNS.

The word of God is the basis to measure all experiences by.Her experience was not of God at all.....she needed to be told that.
    I am glad to hear that God restored the womans hearing in your church.
    All healing comes from God. We have experienced God healing in answer to prayer.We have also experienced God not healing in answer to prayer also.

With the healing.....it was not a sign gift. It was God healing in answer to prayer. Sign gifts have ceased having been foundational.

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well ...until they fix it....let me just say that the message you sent is similar to what I would have to say about your views and imput in your posts...:laugh::laugh: That is the nature of it dude.
    You can do whatever you wish,and post what you do. I will do likewise.

17. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Thanks!

Think the basic problems here on tis OP are that baptists and Pentacostalists define same terminology, but with different meanings, and that there is no sure foundation in regards to say sign gifts/healings, as those are either NOT needed to grant extra revelation today, or else God is healer, NOT faith healers!

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Throw out the Anglican transliteration and translate the word as immersed. Being immersed in the Holy Spirit is not limited to speaking in tongues. I have seen tongues speakers on Sunday who do not pay their bills on Monday.

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is exactly right. I never heard of "two levels of the Holy Spirit." I guess in a sense that would change the Trinity into a group of four known as the Quad God.

20. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Well, benny hinn has said that the HS revelaed to him that God Himself is truine in each person of the trinity, so God is really nine not three!