Doctrine of the Trinity - Stated or Implied?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    see my last message!

2. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    :rolleyes:

3. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :Cool

4. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    that you are not! :Biggrin

5. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do realize that the teaching that God is a Triune God pre-dates the use of the word "Trinity", don't you? You do understand that this is doctrine taught in Scripture, even thought it doesn't use the title "Trinity", right? :Cautious

6. Mr. Davis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IT IS VERY LONG. (Compare it with the average posts of others; even mine!)

Given your other lengthy posts (without attribution--which means plagarism) I really think this last post of yours was a hodgepodge of unattributed quotes, condensed and edited by you! SHAME ON YOU! :X3

7. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know. I didn't see an old, wise emoji. You know what Paul said in 2 Corinthians....better wright than cool. :Laugh

8. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My Name is Andrew Ansell, from England, UK, and STUDIES ON THE HOLY TRINITY is MY website! Please get your facts right before making a fool of yourself! :(

9. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You plagiarized yourself??? I remember @TCassidy saying he did that once as well....so you're in good company. :D

10. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    People get involved with things they know nothing about, instead of first asking! I thought we Christians were meant to be better...

11. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, the Old Testament Saints were not aware of the Three Persons in the θειότης. IT was only expounded in New Testament times by the Holy Spirit. My point being, that "θειότης" (used once in Romans 1:20), which speaking of the "divine nature", does not tell us about the "Persons" within this "nature". The term "Trinity" seels to do this, and if rightly explained, can be understood by almost anyone. I must stress that we need the Holy Spirit to open the "eyes of our understanding"!

12. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you are right because the doctrine of the Trinity is a product of systematic theology. That said, do you not understand the Trinity within the context of "God" as well?

13. Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you referring to the word "God"? In the Old Testament, "Elohim" is in the masculine, plural, which I believe is because the "God" of the Bible is not a single Person, which can be seen from texts like, "let US make man in OUR image" (Genesis 1:26), and Eccles, 12:1, "remember your Creators", etc. However, in the New Testament, the word "theos" is singluar in number! The very nature of the Godhead needs to be carefully explained, as it is not obvious from the mere uses of the word "God", or even "Godhead".

good night from England!

14. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Although Elohim down not necessarily mean plural in number. We cannot have a doctrine of God that excludes Father, Son, and Spirit.

15. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you not read?

Not just Ex 3:6, but in every verse where God said "I am the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob."

He is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

16. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, God is the God of the living.....But that wasn't the question. What they did not know was the Scriptures or the power of God.

17. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They knew the law, but they didn't understand it. Jesus found that little verse eminently relevant to their question, and with it undid the central presumption of their sect, that there is no resurrection.

There is no explicit mention of the Resurrection in the Law, but it is implied, and the implication is no less authoritative.

18. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    They also rejected as Scripture the Old Testament (believing only Torah binding) and didn't believe in angels or spirits (both present in Scripture). The resurrection of the dead is stated in the Old Testament (in Psalms, repeatedly, as the soul will not be abandoned to Sheol).

As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, And at the last He will take His stand on the earth. Even after my skin is destroyed, Yet from my flesh I shall see God (Job 19:25-29)

19. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not read this thread, for I fear it became about the validity of the doctrine of the Trinity. But the actual topic, how much should we read between the lines, if a very important topic. As a minimalist, I ask the question, what is the least God could be saying. That question protects us from adding to scripture by speculation.

For example does "all" mean everything imaginable, or just the things intended by the author. Speculation is the mother of false doctrine. OTOH, there is such a thing as logical necessity. The fly in the buttermilk is that it is hard to discard the shoddy and speculative interpretations of past theologians, and it is equally hard to admit we were wrong to embrace a baseless but age-old doctrine.

20. Mr. Davis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are absolutely right.

My heartfelt apologies.

I treated you miserably. Please forgive me.

You are clearly a very studied Christian.

Have a wonderful Christmas,

Brother Davis