1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Doctrine or emotionalism.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by agedman, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but the Lord was pleased with how David danced before Him in joy and thanksgiving, correct?

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Lord was pleased with the offering that Abel brought from his flock (Genesis 4:4) but that doesn't mean you and I should worship him that way today.

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since the subject of the Regulative Principle was broached in this thread, I thought I'd post a link to an article in the Journal of Baptist Theology and Ministry. It is written by Scott Aniol, who is a professor in the School of Church Music at Southwestern Seminary in Forth Worth and blogs at the Religious Affections blog. I've met Scott a couple of times at a singing event at Southwestern, and I've profited from some of his articles on his blog. (Kevin Bauder also blogs at Religious Affections.

Form and Substance: Baptist Ecclesiology and the Regulative Principle

• Like Like x 1
  4. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    David was not dancing in the Temple, and there is no account in the Bible of anyone doing that.
    For the information of anyone who may be interested, the use of musical instruments in the Temple was limited by David himself. These were to be cymbals, lyres and harps (1 Chronicles 25:6). There were no trumpets in the regular worship, and no drums. This was also observed by Nehemiah around 500 years later (Nehemiah 12:27, 36).

Of course, in those days there was no amplification, so large numbers of musicians were required. Today one guitarist or keyboard player can blast the ears of the largest congregation.
    Exactly so. We certainly should not be taking our music from the world. Each year I go to a Christian conference in Aberystwyth, Wales. The singing is wonderful with about 1,500 strong Welsh voices praising God together. The accompaniment is a solitary keyboard. It's there to keep us in time and in tune, not for entertainment. And that's how it should be.

#84 Martin Marprelate, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That sounds wonderful!

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would also say that there are Christian musicians blessed by God to be able to sing, play piano, guitar, drum, violin et all, for His glory.

7. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have a Scripture for that, do you? I thought not.
    Everything we do should be to the glory of God. Let musicians do their stuff in concert halls or recording studios; but in the church let them keep the singing in time and in tune, and nothing else. The idea that God enjoys aesthetic performance is without Biblical support. An athlete can glorify God in his chosen discipline, but I don't think we want people performing the triple jump in church.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually I do have one, 1 Corinthians 10:31, so those gifted by God to be musicians should play music unto the Lord!

9. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is actually what I said in my post.
    {QUOTE="Martin Marprelate"]Everything we do should be to the glory of God.[/QUOTE]
    That does not mean that guitarists, drummers etc. have a God-given right to come into the church and blast the ears of the rest of us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably my favorite Christian band is Casting Crowns. I like the fact that they seek to minister to people in their music. However, the lead singer of the band is a music or choir director at his church, and he will not play his music there. I thought that was a great testimony for him and the band.

While I understand people having bands in their service and seeking to draw people more inclined to contemporary music, I myself (and my wife) prefer congregational singing over the "special" music, lol. I like the old hymns, but, that is just how it has always been in most of the fellowships I have been a part of. We once thought to visit a community church which was a split from a baptist church, and it was being held in the auditorium of a middle school. We walked in the door and the band's music (which about 75 feet in front of us) hit us in the chest, and we turned around and went and found another church to visit. We are currently looking for a new church home (and I think we have decided on one), but we have noticed that most of the fellowships these days are doing "live music." Most of it has been tasteful, but, there just isn't a reverent quality to some of it. And being a former musician, I know firsthand how music can be an idol of sorts.

God bless.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That does not mean that guitarists, drummers etc. have a God-given right to come into the church and blast the ears of the rest of us.[/QUOTE]
    I agree with you on that, as Christian liberty extends only so far as not offending our Brother, but if the youth group during their meeting wanted to blast loose....

12. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It might be better received in a Pentecostal Church. :)

"Those who chain their passions, do so, because their passions are small enough to be chained." - William Blake

Luke 7:44-47 NASB

44 Turning toward the woman, He said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave Me no water for My feet, but she has wet My feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. 45 You gave Me no kiss; but she, since the time I came in, has not ceased to kiss My feet. 46 You did not anoint My head with oil, but she anointed My feet with perfume. 47 For this reason I say to you, her sins, which are many, have been forgiven, for she loved much; but he who is forgiven little, loves little.”

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When i was still in the AOG, someone who was an IBF visited us, as was invited, and he wanted to know if we jumped the pews. I told him no, as would be pulling a muscle, and then would have to have divine healing!

• Like Like x 1