DOD lists $12.8B ‘unused’ funds for border wall Construction

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    MILCON=Military Construction appropriated projects. The projects are listed by state in the link in his article.

2. Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That doesn’t hurt the state it hurts the military installation. There is no such connection anyway. Glad to know you think in such petty terms though.

3. Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay? I only do this for a living.

4. Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was. But the wall is a campaign promise he couldn’t get done. So now we are here sizing up actual military projects to sacrifice for the wall.

5. Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find it "odd" that any Leftist would complain that the current administration is neglecting military readiness, I mean, how hypocritical can you get? Confused But according to some in the know it appears there is a rhetorical force making such claims which to me is a sign of the need to drain the swamp of some of these irrationally biased government workers. :D

6. Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, we should get rid of these irrational people that actually want to support their component commands and support the warfighter instead of the white whale that our President has failed to make good on during his campaign. Go get your wall but don’t take away from the actual military to do it.

Kind of want to be ready for an actual emergency and not make believe ones.

7. HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So?

8. Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well then by all means, go back to spouting random non sense.

9. RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, sometimes people can be misled by information.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/military-and-veterans-affairs/military-s-impact-on-state-economies.aspx

The DoD contributes billions of dollars each year to state economies through the operation of military installations.

This spending helps sustain local communities by creating employment opportunities across a wide range of sectors, both directly and indirectly. Active duty and civilian employees spend their military wages on goods and services produced locally, while pensions and other benefits provide retirees and dependents a reliable source of income. States and communities also benefit from defense contracts with private companies for equipment, supplies, construction and various services such as health care and information technology.​

10. HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Be my guest.

11. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know next to nothing about the process, but I imagine it goes something like this...

Congress approves defense department spending on military projects. Some of these projects are earmarked for military bases and military construction projects in individual states. The money has been APPROPRIATED (legitimately, via constitutional process of Congressional approval.) Now the military leaders in those states that have had the money appropriated make plans and fine tune their plans for spending this money that they've been authorized to spend. So far this money is (technically) unused, in that it hasn't been spent. It has been appropriated, assigned, and budgeted, but not spent.

Now here comes Trump and he wants to use this money to build the Wall. He promised to get this money from Mexico but now is going to raid the military. Naturally the military is going to be ticked off at this idea, and rightly so. It gives a whole new meaning to the budget funding mantra, "use it or lose it."

12. Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bingo. And to take it a step further. Some of these projects may seem unimportant in a vacuum but are in fact essential because they are a component of a separately funded major program. Like the F-35 program. A misstep on the minor MILCON project can effect the entire program. This is what gets the military angry about this.