1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does Calvinism ever really answer the major objection?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Rather, frankly, any Scripture that dismantles your premise and exposes your theology as deficient is cast aside, along with any Biblical portrayal of Sovereign God that disagrees with your logic and reason. He must fit into your finite reason, or it cannot be true or be God, and if such be the case, that is, He doesn't fit into your reason, He is then called unfair. That's the truth of the matter.

2. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

"What is it about the Calvinistic dogma that believers hate so much?" "And does the scripture really ever warn us about such things?"

God gave the issues of life and death to man. God gave man dominion over the earth. God gave man free will. The devil comes to kill, steal, and destroy.
    A Calvin follower cannot accept these basic few statements from God. They tear them apart and rebuild to say what they need. They will continually exchange the cart and horse to fit John Calvin's teaching. From Genesis to Revelation, they strain at a knat and swallow a camel to be correct in mens eyes at the cost of truth.
    There are many scriptures that warn us to stay away from this evil man's doctrine. A Calvin follower is puffed up in the mind with head knowledge instead of humble Godly wisdom that comes from true revelation of the Holy Spirit. Look at Calvins life, he murdered in the name of justice. That is bad fruit from a bad tree. The doctrine looks sweet and logical, but it is the work of demons.
    Any time you complicate simple truths from God and find no absolutes, you are following Lucifer. God is not the author of confusion. It is of no use to go around in circles debating doctrine, the fruit of John Calvins life is proof enough that the Calvin followers have ears but cannot hear, and eyes but cannot see. "Will you really die if you eat the fruit?", same spirit.

3. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The compatibilist indeed defines free will as men doing what they desire. Yes, the compatibilist indeed defines desire as rooted in man's nature. But, you are seeing God as the determiner of men's nature, where the compatibilist does not.

Man's nature--as originally created by God--was determined by God. In His establishing that unfallen nature, God gave man the ability to choose to sin or the ability to choose not to sin. That is true freedom--a nature that could have chosen contrary to Satan's temptation. Since Adam and Eve freely chose to sin and, as a result, man's nature became fallen and unable not to sin.

You claim that God determined man's nature. Our current fallen state is not because of God's active determination. Rather, it is because of the natural consequences of Adam and Eve's sin and because we are their progeny.

There is a reason that Genesis 5 states that Adam begat children in his image.

So, you are presupposing that the present fallen condition is a result of God's actively determining that human nature will be "fallen" and desire sin. But, that isn't the case. Your presupposition is skewing your vision of other things.

You don't understand my view because you continually mis-state it and mis-represent it. This is evidenced even in your above statement when you say: "I've attempted to claim about your view is that it is objectionable to many due to the fact that they appear to make God 'in control over' (sovereign/ordaining or whatever term you choose) choices that he holds men responsible for."

Again, the distinction is that you want to say that God is in "ultimate control" of people and their actions. We want to say that God is in ultimate control of all circumstances. Our position upholds the exceptions of the Westminster Confession; your position ignores the exceptions.

The issue you define cannot be dealt with because it is a no-thing. The issue you are creating is based on a misunderstanding of what we believe--an honest misunderstanding to be sure, but a misunderstanding nonetheless.

I haven't "accused" you of misunderstanding. You've been quite good at demonstrating that misunderstanding of our position.

It almost isn't worth discussing things with you. You insist on your definition of what we believe. We say that 2+2=4; you insist that 2+2=5. You never accept what we say we believe without attempting to redefine what we have to say according to your own definitions. You do not accept our arguments at face value.

There are people here on this board who bristle violently at the suggestion that they are Pelagians or semi-Pelagians. At some level, I don't see how they can't be. Yet they explain what they believe and I take what they say at face value and do not label them as Pelagians or semi-Pelagians. I don't try to tell them what they believe. I may not understand how what they say they believe goes together, but I do not tell them what they believe.

The Archangel

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You certainly need to do more reading before you post such drivel.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have said this dozens of times if not a score: Calvinism is much more comprehensive than the response to the Remonstrance. You need to read more widely.

#65 Rippon, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2011
  6. marke

marke New Member

Say what? Non-cal deficiencies? I don't believe Calvinists have fully grasped the heart and mind of God and their dogma is scripture-deficient in the whole. Take God's sadness in the days of Noah, for example, at the widespread rejection of God in that day. Did not God know that sin would cause this almost total leavening of the lump? Why, then, did He allow sin to come into the world, if not for the necessity of providing an avenue by which to test man's willingness to choose?

Gen. 6:6 says, "And it repented the Lord that He had made man on the earth, and it grieved Him at His heart." Why would a sovereign God repent and why would He grieve, if not for some sadness beyond His control? Some say there is nothing beyond His control, but that is wrong. God cannot lie, for example, so He cannot go back on His word. Impossible.

The key to what the word 'repent' means can be found in the word "grieved" in the same verse. God CANNOT make anyone get saved, and it grieves Him when they refuse to turn to Him for salvation. In Judges 2:18, we read, "...for it repented the Lord because of their groanings by reason of them that oppressed them and vexed them."

I believe Calvinists generally fail to understand that the Lord is touched by the feelings of our infirmities and suffers with us in our griefs. God's repentance is related to His sympathy towards those who are suffering because of sin, and yet God has allowed sin to enter so that He can have the perfect condition to allow men to chose life or death of their own volition. If it was just up to God, He would have never allowed sin into the world or even have allowed the non-elect to be born, exposing Himself to unnecessary grief over their sin and suffering.

7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I never felt this way as you describe here...never. When i saw everything in life was planned and predestined that made me want to understand exactly how this can be..... Without knowing any of the terms it was obvious that the True and living God has to be over all things . It should not even be a question.
    I have come to understand that some struggle with the truth of God. This is an emotionally based irrational and natural arguement....based on carnal reasoning and false philosophical thought.
    Some have sat under false teachers for so long, that they cannot even recognise the truth anymore.
    The imaginary objector that Paul addresses constantly is those who have lived and held a worldly secular view....which he quickly dispatches.
    Some seem to not be content with what the Spirit had paul write,and try to twist and parse words and expressions ...to get it to fit into a man centered secular view, rather than the scriptural truth as it has been revealed.

8. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I pray God helps you with your struggles of the truth soon...

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Marke,

This is exactly where you and others miss it.For WHOM he did foreknow.....not for WHAT he did foreknow.
    This is also just not so.....God is more than willing that many perish justly for sins done in the body....mt7:21-24....

#69 Iconoclast, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2011
  10. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

If following Calvin is an admitted hard pill to swallow, throw it out and have child like faith.

11. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Here we go AGAIN. You seem to enjoy and take every opportunity to "torque" fellow believers, simply because they do not adhere to your views and understanding.

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thank you for the prayer and concern Benjamin:thumbs:

I have many areas of truth that I do struggle with as I seek by the grace of God to mortify remaining sin, and pursue holiness. In return for your prayers..I will be willing to help remove some of the obstacles that are in your way.....to understand the grace of God as it has been revealed and understood by the historic confessing church....when the time comes that you really want answers.....and are not just set to resist:thumbs:

13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think you have hit the proverbial bullseye....:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Marke
    the god you describe is not the biblical God. This post as written is so off ...I would ask you to re-read and edit it before anyone else sees it:(
    This is horrendous:eek::eek:

15. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Rippon

I don't call myself a Calvinist because there are some things to which Calvin ascribed that I cannot. However, I am a firm believer in the Biblical Doctrine of Sovereign Grace. I arrived at that position well after God performed His work of Grace in my life. Certainly a major role in my conversion to the Doctrine of Grace was Bible study. Certainly a large part was simply observing and wondering why some people are saved and others not. Finally I must believe that the determinative factor was the work of the Holy Spirit in my life.

I say all the above actually as the prelude to my comment on your post. It seems to me that many people, particularly Arminians, think that the Doctrine of Grace is totally defined by the acronym TULIP from the response to the Remonstrance. If I understand you correctly you are saying there is much more to Calvinism, I would say the Doctrines of Grace, than TULIP. To that I whole heartedly agree.

16. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's okay, I don't give prayers in the hope someone will pay me back, they're given in spirit of grace. I know you struggle with the truth of that concept, but I prefer to resist the proud and submit myself to God rather than the distorted philosophies of men, see I think it wise to resist the doctrines of the world that are emnity with God and the devil will flee from me. You should try that sometime.

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

18. marke

marke New Member

Since I obviously believe what I posted or I would not have posted it, you must surely realize that I don't share your disagreements. You may be able to help me see the light, however, if you were to offer your insight as to what you find wrong with what I said and why.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You see? This is the pivotal question. Go ahead with your proofs, and then I will topple them with one little word. (Actually, Paul already did that, so it makes it rather easy.)

It will be shown that one who sins is not free.

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Marke
    I see that you are new to the BB....welcome. I will try to show you what I reacted to in your post......maybe you have been misinformed about some things...we can discuss in more detail in times to come....but lets see what we have here.
    This limiting of what God can do is a complete falsehood...Anyone who is ever saved, is saved because God does save sinners.
    Marke.....do you believe God can save a retarded person, or a baby who dies in the womb??? or do you say God cannot????:confused: Do you see what i am getting at? Why would you say that God cannot?
    God has purposed to save a multitude of sinners. He takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked. he wept over Jerusalem.....nevertheless at the white throne they will be cast away.
    Calvinists understand that this verse is speaking of our great high priest who intercedes for the elect....not the world of the ungodly....
    This idea you express completely misses and denies the covenant working of God before time,and then in time....your idea puts man and mans volition in the place of God ..who in this scheme is only a spectator...hoping that somehow man will come through and choose God.
    marke...what do you mean by this!
    if it were just up to God:eek: who do you think it is up to....satan???man??

exposing himself to unneccesary grief???? He is not a victim...he is God of the whole universe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.