1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does God allow us the free will to choose Him?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Miss E, Jun 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miss E

Miss E Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you must know, one night when I desired to take my own life I cried out to God to save me, thus putting my faith in Him and upon my decision to stop fighting His love and mercy, I chose to let God save me.

That is my story. We must first have knowledge of God, which is why he sent evangelists out to tell others about Jesus, thus enabling them to make the decision to trust Him or not. You must have been presented the Gospel in order to make your decision to Trust Him. Yes He found you, and gave you the Gospel, but YOU had to make the personal choice to be saved by Him. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did your cry to God save you? Or did God, who would not let you go, save you?

O love that will not let me go, I rest my weary soul in thee.
    I give thee back the life I owe, that in thine oceans depths its flow.
    May richer fuller be.
    O light that followest all my way, I yield my flickering torch to thee.
    My heart restores its borrowed ray, that in thy sunshine's blaze its day.
    May brighter fairer be.
    O joy that seekest me through pain, I cannot close my heart to thee.
    I chase the rainbow through the rain, and feel the promise is not vain.
    That morn shall tearless be.
    O cross that liftest up my head, I dare not ask to fly from thee.
    I lay in dust's life's glory dead, and from the ground there blossoms red.
    Life that shall endless be.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Miss E

Miss E Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And, according to the Bible, all men have an innate knowledge of a Creator, and God is calling for them to come to Him and Believe, but only a few answer His knock and open the door to Trust him as their Lord.

The problem is men want to go their own way, they choose to follow themselves and their own 'goodness', that they pretend to think they can have apart from God. It is an issue of rebellion, men have rebelled against the Creator because they love their sin, and God is calling them back, and only a few will choose to come back to His fold. The parable you're referring to is about a sheep that has gone astray from God, and Jesus goes to bring it back, This is a sheep that has already trusted in God, but has wandered away. Him going to bring him back , this is a picture of God's grace and mercy, and that nothing can take us out of his hands once we choose to trust Him.

4. Miss E

Miss E Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound
    That saved a wretch like me
    I once was lost, but now am found
    Was blind but now I see

Was Grace that taught my heart to fear
    And Grace, my fears relieved
    How precious did that Grace appear
    The hour I first believed

Through many dangers, toils and snares
    We have already come
    T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far
    And Grace will lead us home
    And Grace will lead us home

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound
    That saved a wretch like me
    I once was lost but now am found
    Was blind but now I see

Was blind, but now I see

5. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, let's look at this context more closely. I have highlighted in both red and purple so you can understand.
    Notice that Ezekiel is writing, not to the pagans of the world, but to the chosen house of Israel. He is writing to them, who are in exile in Babylon. He is sharing with them, not about spiritual salvation, but about the general physical results that happen to both the wicked and the righteous because of their behavior. Ezekiel is writing to the ELECT and informing them of what will happen to them in their land of exile.

Now, I highlighted this one phrase in purple: The way of the Lord is not fair.

I did this because this phrase is nearly identical to what you have accused God of being...if God chooses his elect. Ezekiel is writing to you and me...the chosen people of God. Take heed. In 1 Corinthians 3:10-16 we see Paul say something similar.
    According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building upon it. Let each one take care how he builds upon it. For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw— each one's work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. If anyone's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire. Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and you are that temple.

Miss E, I lovingly implore you to understand what God is saying. I have not twisted what God has said. I have observed what God has said, and I have kept the context of the passages. It is my hope that you can humbly accept my correction of your misunderstanding.

May you keep searching God's word.

6. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    You conveniently avoided highlighting the second line in verse one. Know that John Newton was a full-fledged Calvinist who would openly contest against you and your belief in freewill salvation over and against God choosing to save wretches according to His gracious will.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Miss E

Miss E Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Elect or not, People have to CHOOSE to do Good, and in our case, to choose to have faith in God. Don't you see that it doesn't matter if he was talking to Israel or us? The people chose to sin against God, and that would condemn their souls to hell.

You keep getting sidetracked by your special 'elect' ness in God. When you should be concerned about every human getting the chance to hear about Jesus/The Gospel so they can have their chance to receive God's grace or continue living in sin to themselves!!! Do you EVER share the Good News to anyone? Or has your pride puffed you up to the point where you don't think it matters if God has chosen who will believe in Him or not?

And furthermore, if you do tell people the Gospel, do you say to them. "you will be saved if God chose for you to be so. So don't worry about your decision because in the end it doesn't really matter at all"

Is THAT what you say to them? Because you might as well not even present them with the Gospel and let their foundation be build upon someone else's cornerstone that is Jesus Christ died for all, to save some, if they so believe unto Jesus' name. Amen.

8. Miss E

Miss E Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then why does it say in there also 'the hour *I* first believed'. That denotes he had to make a choice to FIRST believe. Yes, we are all wrenches and sinful, did I ever say we weren't? We are saved by God's grace when we chose to accept it!
    Newton probably wasn't a Calvinist in your idea of the sense if he wrote this beautiful hymn dozens of free-willing Christians sing after they have chosen to 'first believe' the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Amen.

9. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is an old dating joke: "I chased her, and chased her, until she caught me."

I think Salvation is a lot like that ... it is often impossible to tell who "chose" who. For some people, it is clear that God chose us and then we chose Him. For others it clearly felt like they ran to God and He was waiting with open arms. Either way, in the end, it is two people in love. Whether it is Jesus calling fishing Peter to leave his nets, or Jesus inviting a following Andrew to "come and see".

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Miss E

Miss E Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's petty squabbling tbh to say we were chosen (or if God just knew what we would choose), or if we had to choose God. If anyone believes in Jesus Christ, they will be saved. That is the Gospel, plain and simple. But I do have to say that if one believes only certain people are elected to be saved, that impedes the Great Commission. Because that puts your mind in a bad place of thinking, to think that whether or not you tell a man the Gospel, that it matters not what he believes in His heart about Jesus, that He was already discarded/accepted by God before He had a chance to have faith in Jesus.

I guess that's why I'm so passionate about free will. Because to go out as an evangelist and say 'BELIEVE THE GOSPEL OR PERISH, OH MY BAD, I LIED, YOU DONT GET TO CHOOSE, GOD EITHER ALREADY CHOSE TO DAMN YOU OR SAVE YOU. SO YOUR FAITH IS INVALID BASICALLY.' That is garbage, and that is exactly what some of these people are promoting here to believe about My God, who is merciful and gives ALL men a chance to come to Him.

11. Miss E

Miss E Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  12. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) It does matter. Humans are dead in their trespasses and sins. Dead people cannot choose. Ezekiel is not addressing the Babylonians or any other pagan group. Ezekiel is addressing the chosen people of God. He is also not addressing salvation.
    2) The message of reconciliation goes out to all humanity. It is the commission Jesus gives to his ambassadors. God does not tell us whom he has chosen. He only tells us to go, make disciples, teaching them and baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. This is precisely why people who hold a similar view to me have been on the forefront of missions work. We understand that Jesus will come back when the last of the elect are saved. We also know that the elect come from every nation, tribe and tongue, therefore it is incumbent upon us to obey and go to all nation's, tribes and tongues to share the message of reconciliation with God. We know that God's elect will respond in saving faith. We take our commission seriously.
    3) I say "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved. You and your household." I have done my job. When God elects to save them, they will believe. As Acts 13 clearly states: "all who were appointed to salvation believed."

Miss E, please note that I have made the same protests you currently make. As I studied God's word, I found my protests to be empty of merit and disrespectful to my King. I repented of my ignorance and embraced God's full Sovereignty. I trust that as you study God's word and observe it with an unbiased mind, you too will embrace the Sovereignty of our King.

• Like Like x 1
  13. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Miss E

Miss E Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Round about we go. You still haven't admitted that what you really are saving to people is 'You are either chosen by God or not, Your faith matters not." Which you refuse to say you are actually saying and meaning to say.

Also, what i bolded above is absolute garbage that you said. God is saying you will die if you do not seek after righteousness. Die means dead. Dead means not alive. That sounds like salvation to me. You're putting half-truths and twisting scripture to say something it doesn't- exactly how Satan uses it to deceive people!

“It was necessary that the word of God should be spoken to you first; but since you reject it, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, behold, we turn to the Gentiles. 47 For so the Lord has commanded us:

‘I have set you as a light to the Gentiles,
    That you should be for salvation to the ends of the earth.’ ”

48 Now when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and glorified the word of the Lord. And as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed.

A good commentary explains your misconception of the word 'appointed':

Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers
    As many as were ordained to eternal life believed.--Better, as many as were disposed for. The words seem to the English reader to support the Calvinistic dogma of divine decrees as determining the belief or unbelief of men, and it is not improbable, looking to the general drift of the theology of the English Church in the early part of the seventeenth century, that the word "ordained" was chosen as expressing that dogma. It runs, with hardly any variation, through all the chief English versions, the Rhemish giving the stronger form "pre-ordinate." The Greek word, however, does not imply more than that they fell in with the divine order which the Jews rejected. They were as soldiers who take the place assigned to them in God's great army. The quasi-middle force of the passive form of the verb is seen in the Greek of Acts 20:13, where a compound form of it is rightly rendered "for so he had appointed," and might have been translated for so he was disposed. It lies in the nature of the case that belief was followed by a public profession of faith, but the word "believed" does not, as some have said, involve such a profession.

Furthermore, why does Paul say 'you reject it' when talking to the Pharasies? DOES THAT NOT IMPLY A CHOICE MUST HAVE BEEN MADE FOR THE PHARISEES TO EITHER ACCEPT OR REJECT THE WORD OF GOD?

You're coming up with your own truth and rejecting the actual truth right infront of your eyes!

15. Miss E

Miss E Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL I bet you didn't even READ it because you KNOW it is declawing your Calvinistic view on all four paws!

16. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    It actually cuts both ways from both sides.

IF GOD CHOOSES WHICH HEARTS OF STONE THAT HE WILL SAVE:
    • Negative: A misuse of this truth could lead someone to believe that Evangelism is either useless, or even contrary to God's will. God will save whomever he will save without our help. [which is unbiblical]
    • Positive: Your efforts at evangelism cannot fail because their salvation does not depend on your persuasiveness. God will direct you to broadcast His GOSPEL to everyone that God intends to hear it. For some, it will fall on a heart of stone and leave them with no excuse for their personal free choice to follow sin and reject God. For others, God is already at work in their heart and the words you speak will find fertile soil prepared by God to receive that word. There will be no mistakes. All whom God chose to be saved WILL BE SAVED, and all whom God has allowed to harden their heart will be lost. In either case, you are the messenger of God whose word accomplishes its purpose ... life for those called to life and death for others that chose death.

IF GOD ALLOWS ALL MEN TO CHOOSE TO ACCEPT OR REJECT SALVATION:
    • Negative: Every person you meet could be in heaven if YOU are able to convince them that they need Jesus. Some are in hell that could have been saved but you never witnessed to them, or your witness was just not good enough to save them. Yes, every person has a chance at salvation and is responsible for their choice, but you share in that responsibility based on your ability or inability as a communicator. If accepting salvation is a choice made by man, then that person can probably change their mind at a later date, so nobody is really SAVED until they finish the race.
    • Positive: God is only good (by human standards). Evangelists have strong motivation to preach to EVERYONE because ANYONE can be saved. [You know the positives of your position better than I do, so this should be enough.]
    Neither view is "good" or "bad" in itself. One view can be misused to create complacency and the other view can be misused to create self-guilt. One view can encourage to Evangelize everyone and the other view can encourage that everyone that can be saved will respond (God controls the hearts).

• Like Like x 1
  17. Miss E

Miss E Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can have your own human wisdom on what are the positives and negatives of each view, but only ONE view is the biblically CORRECT view. And one of of the Devil, a lie to impede men's knowledge of the Truth, or one is helpful, fair and doesn't paint God as someone that chooses whom he wishes to be saved based on whether or not he feels like saving that person. If THAT were the case, why didn't God choose to save EVERYONE?

That means we must have a choice, to make it real, to make our love for God meaningful and not simply a command we are given that we must do because our master has wished it upon us.

Did I ever say that God didn't do the saving? We can't save ourselves, God has to convict our hearts! But we still have a choice to accept or reject His love and mercy. That is why the ONLY sin that is not forgiven men is the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit which is.... -drum rolls- REJECTING THE HOLY SPIRIT COMPLETELY IN YOUR HEART. Blasphemy against the Spirit is any hardened and consistent stance against God.

18. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't Romans ask and answer those very questions? [que innocent smile]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 1000 year kingdom on earth is not in view in Matthew 23:13, because they could not be entering a kingdom not yet established.

20. Miss E

Miss E Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. (John 3:18)

:Thumbsup

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.