1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God Choose Man or Man Choose God?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Miss E, Jul 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Noone has denied what you are saying here. I was only dealing w the part of the text pertinent.

Why did you start there? Why not Romans 1:1?

All scripture is inspired and equally so

You seemingly have no understanding at how to interpret scripture. At least, I have not seen that ability in your posts

#81 Marooncat79, Jul 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The probem is that the Greek text ties both salvation and faith as being both gifts of God towards us!

3. Barry Johnson

Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    of course if your trying to find verses to say regeneration precedes faith then this to be expected .

4. Miss E

Miss E Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    oh now you're just making things up out of thin air.

5. Miss E

Miss E Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    yeup. He did

6. Miss E

Miss E Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't see how you continue to view God in this way. By saying God CHOSE YOU, is the same thing as saying God MADE YOU CHOOSE SALVATION/TO BE SAVED. Ridiculous! That isn't genuine love, genuine love is willingly choosing to give love to someone else.

So you're saying that God chooses some and doesn't choose others, why did he not choose to save the others? What standard does God use to choose someone? Based on what? Their works? Nope. We know we can't do enough good to out weigh the bad. So what? Based on our CHOICE. Other-wise, God makes us do something. if your position were true, God would choose to save everyone, but that can't happen because God is a just and righteous God. He gives man the chance to choose righteousness (to follow His son) or wickedness (to follow themselves)

Please use scripture to back up your claims and I will try my best in God's strength and wisdom to show you that God gives us a choice.

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, just saying that the lost son was not a sinner who needed to get saved, but an example of one saved who got into the world!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did any of the prophets, who God called from the womb to serve Him then?

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is the One who makes the final choice in who gets saved in the end!

10. Miss E

Miss E Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I do not show hatred toward a God who is powerful and over all the universe. I do not choose to believe in a God who forces his creation to love him. Choosing = Forcing. Plain and simple, you just like to dress up your view to make it sound less wicked than it actually is. Why would you worship a God who forces you to do so? I willingly choose to worship and follow God, so what you're saying is that you were chosen to Worship Him and in thus God made you follow Him and you had NOTHING to do with whether your heart/soul/mind desires you to worship/love God?

Because that is what your view promotes.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God enables the lost sinner to even be able to love and trust Jesus to save them, is that not love?

12. Miss E

Miss E Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The way you speak of the Holy Spirit is questioning. The Holy Spirit convicts the world of sin, and the man or woman has a chance to acknowledge their sin and repent and believe the Gospel or not. Plain as that!

So you still deny that God isn't forcing you to believe upon Him by giving just enough 'nudge' to this person over that to make them believe? I don't understand how you can't see that your view makes God out to be a God that forces certain people to love Him over others. If that were the case, why doesn't God just force everyone to love Him? And if God could FORCE someone to love Him, what was Jesus' death on the cross for? If he could just come in and force you to worship Him? Hum?

Give me scriptural support next time. I'll be waiting.

13. Miss E

Miss E Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong. Works salvation is a man/woman doing enough good to out-weight the bad (which is impossible). One choice a man/woman makes through faith to believe the Gospel is NOT a work. You're saying faith in Jesus is a work now which is blasphemy to me.

14. Miss E

Miss E Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We're not doing anything (works wise) to GET the gift. We're responding to the gift in faith.

Now let me show you some scripture, 6 times a man's faith is counted to him as righteousness.

Romans 4:9; Romans 4:22; Galatians 3:6; James 2:23; Genesis 15:6; Titus 3:8

9 Is this blessing then only for the circumcised, or also for the uncircumcised? For we say that faith was counted to Abraham as righteousness.

22 That is why his faith was “counted to him as righteousness.”

6 just as Abraham “believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”?

23 and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”—and he was called a friend of God.

6 And he believed the LORD, and he counted it to him as righteousness.

8 The saying is trustworthy, and I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works. These things are excellent and profitable for people.

15. Miss E

Miss E Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Effort denotes a work. Faith is NOT a work. Refer to post above this one.

16. Miss E

Miss E Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. God is responding to Moses' great faith. It is only after Moses has had faith in God that God says He has found grace in His sight, and of course He knows His name. God know everyone's names, but He only chooses to acknowledge those and hear those who have faith in Jesus.

And yes, again, God will be gracious to whom he will be gracious on the basis of which man has faith in Him.

You're just providing scripture that supports my view. Thanks for that. Saves me the trouble. So yes, the Lord preserves those that LOVE HIM. (that is, who choose to have faith in Him) and of course he will destroy the wicked for they chose not to believe upon Him.

17. Miss E

Miss E Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that a trick question? The Us-Ward and the all/any is referring to all men. He doesn't wish anyone to die, but will only save those who put their faith and trust in Him.

18. Miss E

Miss E Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet again, here we are. Your scripture supporting my view. Yes I agree Jesus/God knew who would choose Him. He is all knowing. (duh).

And of course no one can come to Jesus until after God accepts that person whom comes to Him in faith.

Matthew 11:28
    Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

John 5:40
    Yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.

John 6:37
    All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.

Revelation 22:17
    The Spirit and the Bride say, “Come.” And let the one who hears say, “Come.” And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price.

Jesus is calling every man/woman to repentance and belief in Him. Man has to respond to that call.

19. Miss E

Miss E Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are taking it out of context and basic logical reasoning. God calls every man to repent/come to saving knowledge of Jesus, and that is what he is meaning when he says 'called'. Once a man decides to answer that call, men are desiring to do His will and God has a plan for each one of His saved saints.

Take a look at this excerpt from a wise article:

In ref to Romans 8:28:

Crucially, though, this promise is limited to "those who love God," and "those who are called according to His purpose." In short, that means the promise is for Christians: for saved believers, who have placed their trust in Jesus Christ (John 3:16–18; 14:6; Romans 3:26). No matter our feelings on a given day, loving God is part of what it means to live in Christ. That's who we are. Each of us is also called to fulfill God's purposes.

In other words, this verse cannot rightly be applied to non-Christians. Those who reject God do not express their love for God by coming to Him through faith in Jesus. For those who die without Christ, things will not have worked out for the better; they will have rejected the opportunity to take advantage of this promise (John 3:36).

What is the promise? That, for those who are saved, all things will indeed work together for good. "All things" should be taken to mean each and every circumstance one might experience, even pain or suffering. "Work," or "work together," must be understood in light of God taking action in the world. He is the one who causes all things to work together or, perhaps, works in and through all circumstances toward a specific end. What is that end? "Good."

20. Miss E

Miss E Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's foolish when the articles themselves talk about God's word and reference it :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.