1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does God Learn?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mandym, Jul 9, 2012.

?
  1. Yes, scripturre clearly shows us that He does

13.0%
  2. I believe He does in some way but not sure how

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, and those who believe He learns hold on the heresy

43.5%
  4. No, those who believe He does are just wrong

43.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are doing the very thing I said we cannot do...separate Christ's humanity from His deity. Why can't we just appeal to mystery on topics like this (hypostatic union, God's knowledge, etc)?

I imagine these kind of responses are found on the fruit fly's discussion forums in regards to what humans know about thermal dynamics.

3. MorseOp

MorseOp New Member

webdog,

I agreed with you that Christ had to learn in His humanity. Had that been the point of Winman's post there would have been no controversy. But that was not the context in which he said it. I let it die in that thread. I did not start this one.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

God is omniscient...and God learns. What we finite nothings know to be as a paradox is not so with God. How do I know? HE TELLS US IN HIS WORD!!

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes and No!

God in the Incarnation, thru jesus Christ, became a man as we are, and so had to experience growing up/learning etc...

BUT the father/Spirit never had to learn anything, and jesus now is back to all knowing again!

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Bible gives numerous instances where He tests man. According to everyone on here wagging their heresy finger around that must not be true. I'll believe the Bible over man's reasoning. How that all works out, if He wants to reveal it to us one day He will.

Fact: Christ is 100% Man and 100% God. Saying only His humanity "learns" is to spit in the face of the hypostatic union.

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

Who do you think it was that appeared to Abraham?

Jhn 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.
    57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
    58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

I believe it was Jesus who appeared to Abraham in the OT. I believe he had to limit himself when he did this, or Abraham would have dropped dead.

God wrestled with Jacob in Gen 32, and Jacob prevailed over God. Obviously God (Jesus) limited himself at this time. If God can limit his power as he did with Jacob, why could he not also limit his knowledge and learn in time?

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. Winman

Winman Active Member

Psa 139:23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:

Yep, old king David was a heretic too. :laugh:

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

We are in good company :thumbs:

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

Hey, I'm saying it right here to your face. I am not afraid of fellows like you calling me a heretic. It is up to you to disprove the scriptures I post.

You guys are like a pack of wolves, you think you are going in for the kill, but I am one mean warthog.

[​IMG]

#31 Winman, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012
  12. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    heehee, I've wondered what you looked like Winman.... :D

I've got a second cousin that looks like you!

13. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

doesn't say God didn't know.... No where did David say that God didn't know something.

Any interpretation that would say he didn't know would be error as it would contradict Scripture.

1 John 3:20 says that God knows everything.

to say that God doesn't know everything would to deny is omniscience(obviously) and his immutability and his eternality.

The problem with your interpretation is that you are reading something into the text that's not there. And further more you are reading something into the text that contradicts other Scripture.

14. Winman

Winman Active Member

David and others repeatedly pray for God to search their hearts, the scriptures say elsewhere God searches the heart. Why would God have to search a person's heart if he already knows it?

David must not have known the doctrines of grace.

What does the word "search" mean? Why does a person search?

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is only a paradox and conflicting to us. You are approaching this subject using human logic. He (nor I) read anything into the texts, we accept them at face value and don't try to explain them away using ignorance (not an attack on you or anyone...we are all ignorant on understanding that which is not understandable).

16. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

First of all, 1 John 3:20 says that God knows everything.

We search because we don't know something. Does that mean God doesn't know something? No, as it would contradict I John 3:20.

17. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Actually, you guys are approaching using human logic. Winman is looking at "search" only through human understanding....how he would search and why he would have to search. You are reading something into the text. Do the text say God doesn't know something? No. So when one says that God doesn't know something he is reading into the text. I'm approaching using biblical truth. (I John 3:20, God knows everything).

Now, I agree it's very difficult for us to understand. But for God to not know something, and then know it, would mean that he doesn't have all knowledge. It would mean he's not eternal.

I agree with you that we are all "ignorant" on many issues because the Bible doesn't say everything about everything. There are things that God has chosen to not reveal to us yet. However on this issue, we are told that God knows everything. Saying God doesn't know something because he "searches our hearts" is to read something unbiblical into the text.

18. mandym

mandym New Member

1Ch 28:9 "And you, Solomon my son, know the God of your father and serve him with a whole heart and with a willing mind, for the LORD searches all hearts and understands every plan and thought. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will cast you off forever.

God did not portray Himself to have learned anything. God knows the mind and hearts of His creation. After all He created creation. He knows how it works better than anyone else.

To say that God learned something about Abraham is in direct conflict with the above passage. And no where in scripture does it suggest that God while sitting on His throne limits himself so that He can or will learn something He did not already know.

God asked Adam where he was. In both cases God was communicating with man in a way man would respond to Him correctly. God wanted Adam to admit he was in hiding and God wanted Abraham to learn something about having faith in Him.

So again the idea that Abraham knew something about himself before God knew it about Abraham is absurd and in clear and direct conflict with the above passage.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So now we have to redefine words like "search" and "test" that God decided to use to communicate to us?

I have also approached it biblically. I agree He is omniscient...and I also agree that HE says He relents, searches, repents, tests, etc without redefining what these words mean.

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Great is our Lord, and mighty in power; his understanding is infinite (Psalm 147:5).

For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knows all things (1 John 3:20).

Known to God from eternity are all his works (Acts 15:18).

Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and his ways past finding out (Romans 11:33).

The eyes of the LORD are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good (Proverbs 15:3).

Great is our Lord, and abundant in power; his understanding is beyond measure (Psalm 147:5).

Do you know the balance of the clouds, those wondrous works of him who is perfect in knowledge (Job 37:16).

Can anyone teach God knowledge, in that he judges those on high? (Job 21:22).

For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who became his counselor? (Romans 11:34).

For he knows those who are worthless, and he sees iniquity without investigating (Job 11:11).

Declares the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things which have not been done, saying, ‘My purpose will be established, and I will accomplish all my good pleasure (Isaiah 46:10).

For my eyes are on all their ways; they are not hidden from my face, nor is their iniquity concealed from my eyes (Jeremiah 16:17).

Does he who implanted the ear not hear? Does he who formed the eye not see? (Psalm 94:9).

There are more, but this is a good start.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.