1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does God Ordain Everything That Takes Place?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SavedByGrace, Feb 25, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    dude, unless you KNOW what you are talking about, best not to!

2. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one wants to do something very much and not allowed to stop. That again is a false assertion.

Again you failed to address my post.

Can you specifically explain how your view fits with a God who is all knowing and all powerful. Explain specifically where my reasoning is wrong.

3. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good advice, you should follow it. :p:Cool

4. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    “Our first parents were led astray by the cunning temptation of Satan and sinned in eating the forbidden fruit. It pleased God to allow them to sin, because in his wisdom and holiness he planned to order their sin to his own glory” (On the Fall of Man, https://epc.org/wp-content/uploads/Files/1-Who-We-Are/B-About-The-EPC/WCF-ModernEnglish.pdf)

Show ONE verse in the 66 Books of the Bible that says that about God and the fall?

PLANNED to ORDER is CAUSED!

5. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do, unlike the "UnReformed" on here! :D

6. timtofly

timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "vagaries of the universe" does not exist. You can take comfort in that truth.

7. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dave I can agree with some of what you have said, God does not want anyone to sin but we do. Since that is a reality we are presented with two options. Remembering that God is sovereign we have 1] God ordains everything that happens including sin or 2] God ordains that man has a free will and can make real choices. If God ordains all things then He is the author of sin whereas if man has that God given free will then he is responsible for his sins.

The Calvinist wants to have their cake and eat it to. They want God to be sovereign and ordain everything but not be the author of sin or they say that man has the free will to sin but not the free will to chose God.

The problem as I see it is that Calvinists want to decide how God is sovereign. The reality is that God is sovereign and because He is He gets to decide. If He wants to control a situation He can if He decides to let man follow their own sinful ways He does. But and this is where Calvinists throw up their hands, if God decides to allow man a free will so as to chose to follow Christ Jesus He can and does.

God is sovereign over His sovereignty, if He decides to act or not act He is still sovereign. If He decides to grant or not grant true free will He is still sovereign.

Dave your last two paragraphs seem to contradict each other. You say God has to ordain everything and yet He is not responsible for a plane crash. Sorry you cannot have it both ways.

8. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again you haven't answered my question. Instead you asked a question yourself.

Did God know that Adam and Eve would sin? Yes
    Did God have the power to prevent Adam and Eve from Sinning? Yes
    Did God stop Adam and Eve from Sinning? No

So God decided to create the world knowing that Adam and Eve would sin, thus initiating the Fall.
    So was the Fall part of God's plan? Yes.

"But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive."

• Like Like x 1
  9. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Silverhair
    You see @Iconoclast reply to me in post 175. There is some truth in what you are saying. There is a range of opinion when it comes to how meticulous God is in the events of the world. You can judge for yourself the various posts on here and articles you see elsewhere. I think that some Calvinists do go so far in the idea that God determines everything that they indeed make God the author of evil. I think the idea of "two wills" while it may not be a slam dunk, is a viable idea. But you have to realize that the arguments regarding God's sovereignty over various events cannot be applied in the same way to men's salvation because we all believe on here that man, after the Fall has been profoundly changed and everyone from high Calvinists to fundamental Baptist preachers clearly teach that without the action of the Holy Spirit one simply cannot come to Christ. We differ on the specifics but unless you follow a Pelagian belief system we believe we are not as free as Adam to not sin or go to God.

Are There Two Wills in God?

10. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did God ORDER the fall? NO!

11. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did sin surprise God? NO it did not
    Could God not prevent the evil men? Yes He could have
    My answers in Blue

Yes God foreknew the cross, He planned it, see Gen 3:15. I have not disagreed that God foreknows all that is going happen. Where you run into problems is that you think God ordains/decrees all things then want to duck for cover when the problems of your view are pointed out to you.

So if God ordained/decreed the cross in advance and made sure that it happened then how is that different from Him ordaining that Judas would betray Christ Jesus. You have just removed any ability or choice from Judas. Now you will say that Judas had exercised his free will to sin, but is that really free will when you have no choice.
    For the non-calvinist we see no problem here. God has a plan for the salvation of man and it will be worked out. Judas fit into that plan because he made a free will choice to betray Christ Jesus just as all those that freely trust in Christ Jesus fit into Gods plan.

This may help:

Oxford English Dictionary
    Ordain
    (of God or fate) decide (something) in advance.

12. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can we get more thoughtful answer, with an proper explanation of your position. rather than a five word reply. My post did not say God ordered the fall. So are you unable to respond to my post?

What part of the post do you disagree with?

13. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read the OP again

14. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have all read the OP.
    You have dug your feet in the sand on your desert island of one and you refuse any offer to persuade you to leave your desert island.
    I have a Wilson volleyball for you if you need company.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Respond to the post. I wrote a reply and you did not engage with what i wrote. Instead you just repeating the same sentence again and again.

It's okay if you don't have an answer. But maybe rather than sticking you fingers in your ears and shouting " God is the author of sin" "God did not order sin", maybe listen and think and you might actually come to a biblical position.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have given my position many times in this thread. No point in repeating myself over and again

17. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He did destroy him at the cross.
    You are suggesting it would have been wiser to do it differently.
    I know God is perfect in all His ways.
    He never comes up short.
    Perfect plan, perfect timing.

18. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    i set out a selection of statements , then from those statements made a conclusion. All i asked is that when you quote my post you actually engage with what i wrote. So if you can't explain why or where i'm wrong just admit it.

19. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was and am talking about when the devil fell

20. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.